Grrrravel

• Howdy,

Newbie rider here - 58 years old - OW arrived in mid-June - almost 50 miles on it as of today. No prior board sport experience.

I have had 2 minor get-offs w/ some road rash and a dented helmet - both early-on - well packed GRAVEL two track driveway with slightly concaved tracks. I have been practicing, but still don't have it down. I'm sure some of it is just fear of carnage. I can ride grass aggressively all day long, but uneven gravel (especially this driveway) still gets my goat.

Any advice to help me nail this down?

• Just keep riding and getting better. I biffed it about three times on my OW+ until I put it in Delirium. I'm a bigger guy (260#) so I purchased an XR, which arrived in June, and I definitely can tell that it has more torque, but I still ride in Delirium. I also keep my front foot close to the fender and my back foot as far back as I can get it. No accidents yet on the OW+XR. As far as riding on uneven terrain; I just found that I needed to relax my legs more and let them act like shock absorbers, somewhat like skiing moguls. It's more getting over that twisty ankle feeling and thinking your going to get bumped off the board. Hope that helps.

• Yes, it's like allowing your legs and ankles to shift around as bumps and board movements dictate, but your upper body and most of your center-of-gravity stays in a regular trajectory. This will help you get lower and more stable, as well.
    Also, when the contact patch of the tire is on a movable surface like gravel or a slick surface like ice or water, maintain moderate consistent speed and use early and subtle movements to direct the board, so that it doesn't "break loose" unnexpectedly, causing the escalating chain reaction type of accident.
    Soon that driveway will be nothin'.

• Thank you. I really appreciate the advice & encouragement.

Been practicing on the driveway this weekend. I have it pretty well nailed.

Keeping my feet & ankles more “loose” to better absorb the side to side undulations was the key. Also, remembering that momentum is your friend on loose surfaces.