XR constantly losing app connection?

• @suboba @eckit @Rado seems you guys have had the most contact with FM on this issue . . . any more responses from them? I had my new XR meet me in Hawaii, so to send it back is gonna cost someone (hopefully FM and not me) some $$$s. Not only that, I'm only going to be here until the end of the month.

My current solution is that I put my phone (Android Pixel) in the lower front pocket of the cargo shorts I'm wearing so it's just above my left knee. I then use the OneWheel app on my WearOS watch to monitor the speed and battery. This works REALLY well (rarely drops), but is in no way a "solution" to the problem.

My + at home works consistently all of the time with my phone anywhere on my body or with the OneWheelWear watch app directly connected to the board, so there is definitely an issue with these newer XRs.

Let us know if you have or haven't heard back from FM . . . the XR world awaits!

• @Jackalope my XR is hw 4208, with fw andromeda 4117, droid galaxy s8 + and I have never had a connection issue. I can pick up the connection 20' away down the hall and out of sight of the wheel. Bummer there are so many people with shifty connections. Good luck!

• @hilby you’ve got a great connection Bluetooth-wise but you’ve got bigger problems. Best of luck to you bud.

• I'm using hw 4206 fw 4117. Signal is noticable lower than that of a + but perhaps due to my phone case I don't suffer much interference. I'm using the S-view flip cover for an S7 which is open on all sides. If I had a thicker case, was taller or maybe some other circumstance it may not connect in my pocket. It disconnects unless I'm right over the board, which makes me wonder... Not sure where the bluetooth is on a Onewheel. If it's in the middle of the board somewhere, a fender might cause issues as well. I don't use a fender, they make the OW look like a toy and sound like one too, bleh.

• I'm finding that apple watch shows 'NO CONNECTION TO ONEWHEEL' even when the lost connection warning doesn't show on the phone. Apple watch can keep BT connected to phone for over 30' - but XR disconnects when stationary at distance of less than 10', and when moving, less than 3'. FM has been in touch with the ticket I posted by email a month ago - just asking for my SN, HW version, etc. They are aware of the issue and testing it out, apparently. Will post again when I know more. PS - I think this is related to the APP/GPS 'teleporting' rides or not properly recording distance, but am not 100%.

• @OneDan When riding like this - can you properly log a ride (ie. make a big figure 8 over a few blocks) without the recorded ride showing just a single line or some other skipped/curtailed path? Does your watch always keep connection that way with phone down low?

• @andyro I've never logged a ride, but it should. I can tell the phone doesn't disconnect from the board because my watch vibrates when it connects or disconnects. I also check my speed and battery level pretty often, so that also verifies that the board is still connected. The watch has no problem staying connected to the phone, even at long distances over ten feet away. I'm about to go for a ride, I'll see if I can log it!

Edit: I had never logged into the app before, it wouldn't take my OneDan+ ID, so had to create a new OneDan ID, LOL. But being a newb with the ride logging, I didn't hit "New ride", so it didn't log my 6.5 mile ride! It did stay connected the whole time, but I'll try again later today to log one.

• @OneDan+ so far they just let me know they've received it, it is being evaluated, and they'll follow up when they learn any new information. They received it about a week ago today. I'll post on any significant updates.

• @Jackalope sent them email on the 15th. received automated email back saying they are very busy and someone will get back to me soon......still no response

• @andyro OK, so I created a ride this time and it worked perfectly. I did see it disconnect for about 1 second while riding, but that was it. The ride plays back with all of my loop backs. I did notice when I started out that it was disconnecting, so I moved my phone to the left side of my left lower pocket and it was solid after that. I think I'm right on the edge of the "connection zone". It's literally about 18" from the board.

• I got a note from FM that acknowledges that at least my board (SN/HW#) is buggy and will repair IF they deem it below spec and of course at my cost to ship from Canada to the US. I’m really not sure it will be worth the cost.... but will get the quote anyways.

• I have an XR with hardware 4208 and firmware 4117. The Bluetooth works maybe 10% of the time. It never stays connected while riding.

• @OneDan FM support got back to me. Told me to completely delete the Onewheel app, restart my phone, and try it again. Also, they asked me to remove any aftermarket parts as that could effect the connection. They said if none of that worked, to reply back and they will send me a shipping label for it to be repaired.
    The thing is, like y’all I, I don’t want to be out of a board for several weeks. Especially since I haven’t heard anyone say that they sent their board in with this issue and got it back fixed. This is compounded by the fact that I have one of those armbands for my phone. I wear it around my calf, and monitor my XR from my watch and everything works fine.
    So I’m stuck with this decision to make; out of principle—do I send my board in for a repair because I shouldn’t have to wear my phone around my calf, but I will be without my board for a few weeks? Or do I continue with my “hack” because it doesn’t bother me more than being without my board?
    Still weighing my options.
    I use my board as my first and final mile mode of transportation to and from work. So, being without it for an unknown period of time for something that is basically an annoyance isn’t very appealing right now.
    I may wait to send it in until the winter when I question its reliability in the northeast snow and may not be able to ride it much anyway.

• Would it be possible to add a buzzer to the hardware that would make a loud noise when you exceed 30 km limit or when you push motor too hard - something in addition to the pushback? Many new boards (including mine) with Hardware - 4208 and Firmware - Andromeda - 4117 constantly losing app connection so I cannot depend on my phone. Just a thought!

• @eckit I'm in the same situation. I have a solution similar to yours with a watch connected to my phone in my lower front pocket. I'm sure there is an issue since my + works just fine with the same phone and I can carry it anywhere on my body. I can also connect directly from my + to my watch and use the OneWheelWear app, which is way better because it has a speed limit warning.

My XR is also here with my in Hawaii (only here another week), so sending it back to FM is gonna cost me a bundle. I guess I'm going to have to settle for the annoyance on this XR.

I was thinking of getting an XR back home to replace my +, but FM's not gonna get my money for that until I hear they've for sure solved this issue.

• I got my xr in september and have had issues with connection to the app since day one, the board not shutting off when jumping off and racing away, the front grip tape sliding off the board, and now the front white led lights flicker every bump i hit its like a seizure mobile when i ride at night. This is my 3rd onewheel. two plus's and an xr ($5000+). Unfortunately for the uniformed, future motion does not give even the slightest fu$k about you or me or any of it. They held my first plus hostage for 2months after i sent it in not working at two weeks old. They said it was water damage and charged me $400 to fix and get back. I said the dude in the commercial is on the beach. They laughed. It wasnt a joke.
    They have the most amazing product that is solid for the most part and unreplicable, but the customer service is so so bad and shady. So very disappointing to me. They know we will continue to buy onewheels regardless, so why spend the money to improve? I want them to be a good company so badly. its hard for me to suggest anyone get one with all these problems. sucks. fucks up my whole vibe..f you FM arrgggggg

• @grahamoc I feel you. The only thing holding this company back is their treatment of loyal “customers”. Until there is a viable competitor we’re stuck with them if we want to ride this type of device. My board has been at their repair facility for two weeks now and they won’t answer any of my messages on my support ticket. I had to call 3 times just to get the shipping label sent in addition to creating the support ticket. They said a “battery component” failed. I asked for more clarification as to what that means, whether it is covered under warranty, and why it failed. They haven’t responded to me since. If it’s a defective part it should be covered under warranty. If not, and the lifespan of this part is a few months or less than 500 miles, it needs to be redesigned.

• @Rado dude its like youre in my old nightmare. I dont even bother sending them or even telling them anything anymore. Unless it is unrideable of course. They are the absolute worst.

• UPDATE: Ok guys, I just got my board back!

Wasn't even expecting it. Just got a knock on the door and it was the fedex guy. I took it in and immediately went to check my email. All it said was they were sending it back to me and to let them know if I had any questions.

No comment on what was done, how the evaluation went, etc... nothing. I have no idea what they did if anything!

I will do a test ride later this week and report back to you guys. So far this isn't looking good =(

• @suboba Unless it works, then it looks good, except I REALLY don't want to have to send my board in. FM needs to be more transparent about this stuff.