XR constantly losing app connection?

• Ugh this is so shitty that they don't have a solution for this, or seem to recognize that it's a problem. Although I will say 4-5 disconnects in a 7 mile trip does sound better than my current experience. I literally can't stay connected unless I keep my phone down around my knees. I just got my shipping label, and I think I'm going to pack it up and send it this weekend.

• @Rado, I was referring to @suboba who stated that it was only a component (not the whole module), so I'm assuming it was not set back to 0. @suboba can confirm the current mileage but he already confirmed that he didn't log miles before he shipped it off. Agreed that they tried to improve the signal but not sure what they are adjusting/replacing to do that. I'm hoping that someone can understand what they are actually doing so if someone gets one of these hardware/firmware versions that are out of warranty someday, they'll be able to repair on their own.

So yesterday, November 1, 2018, I called FM and talked to a nice CSR who sent my issue to a tech. (My issue is very similar to what @gsparx is having...although, when plugged in and charging, the signal seems to be solid.) She said they'd respond by the EOD. Which they did. The answer was what I was afraid they'd say about my week old board:

"We’ve confirmed this issue is not easy to troubleshoot remotely and we will have to get this board over to our technicians. We can provide you with instructions for your board to come to our repair facility. We will make you a priority repair sine the board is new."

I'm happy they are quick to answer, but bummed at the possibility that I'll have to go without my brand new board for a week or however long it takes. I think I'm with @christian and am going to wait for @suboba to get a response from FM since they don't seem to have fixed his issue completely and it doesn't affect my actual ride and I still have good weather.

I wonder if they'd change a tire when I send it in for this repair??? I see they have a "Tire Change" as a $99 option. This may be a good time to go ahead and get a Hoosier put on without any warranty issues.

• @MotoGPTy They won’t put a Hoosier on your board for you. They will void your warranty if you put anything other than the Vega on it.

• @Rado Thanks for clarification.

• @MotoGPTy I am in the exact same boat as you, problems right from board being new. been in contact with FM and get the same response of things to try. it sounds like I will have to send my board in from Canada as well. cant imagine what it will cost.
    one very similar thing I notice is that when she is on the chrger the Bluetooth works great. I can walk 15 feet from the board and it stays connected. the board isn't even turned on. seems strange but there is definitely some sort of power issue here. anybody else get the same? let the techs know as it may be a clue to help them out

• @tomfoolery thanks for that, will try it out!

• @Hoggwheel Scratch my observation about the connection being more stable while charging. I had my +XR plugged up last night and was working in my garage with the app open on my phone. The connection started dropping regularly after a short time...even when I was standing right beside the board.

• My buddy's XR is being shipped back to him today. He had a controller module component failure, and they also replaced his Bluetooth chip since he was having the same connectivity problem as y'all.

Sounds to me like the Bluetooth chips are just bad, and there's no fix other than physically replacing that chip. Once he has his board back I will try to remember to post an update.

XRs seem to have some problems. Knock wood, so far I haven't had any issues with mine, though I don't try to connect to it while riding, only while stopped, so for all I know I have the same issue. The controller module is more worrisome, since that goes beyond "annoying" to "could wreck your shit while riding, or cause you to be unable to ride".

• I'm taking the plunge. Just dropped off my XR at FedEx. I'll definitely update here when I get it back, and any correspondence I have with them. Hopefully this is something they're ready to fix for people.

• I just got my XR and noticed the BT issue when I connected my bluetooth headset. When riding I kept getting device disconnected voice warning every like 30 seconds so after playing around with my phones settings I found in an Android go to settings you have to enable developer options then got to bluetooth AVRCP version and change it from 1.4 default to 1.6 which is the newest BT protocall and now it seems to work a lot better I have not got a device disconnected yet I will test further tomorrow and post

• @tlamb2 Would be great if this fixes the issue, at least for us Android users. Will be awaiting your further results!

• So I had this spec:

IPhone 7+ (no BT-issues with it at all elsewhere)
    iOS 12 - updated
    OneWheel SW: Andromeda 4117
    HW: 4208

As other posters have. I JUST got a new Pixel3XL, and the BT issue is resolved. I can go like 30' away from the board and it stays connected. I can turn off/on lights from that distance - and my mapped rides never hyperspace from one point to another - they are all accurately logged. This makes me suspect that however the OW communicates to iOS may be different than with Android. Frequency? I have no idea - but it is perfect now and it was f&^45cked before. This also makes me think that FM may be able to develop a firmware/software fix for this. I had the return ship repair labels printed and ready to send to FM for repair from Canada - but gave this a try with the new phone - and it is now a non-issue. HAs anyone else had this problem with a newer Android phone?

• @andyro That’s great info but doesn’t explain why out of my three Onewheels two have great connections and the one with hardware 4208 does not.

• @andyro I agree with @Rado. It also doesn't explain why my + connects fine to both my Android Pixel XL phone and directly to my TicWatch E (using the OneWheelWear app), but my brand new XR won't stay connected to either one when riding. My only solution is to have my phone in the lower left pocket of my cargo shorts, then my watch connected to the OEM app on the phone. If I put my phone in the higher side pocket, doesn't work.

I did open a ticket with FM and they offered me shipping labels, so as soon as I'm back with my XR (in a couple of months), I'll probably send it in for repair.

• @tlamb2 Well I was still losing connection and using the BLE scanner app I could not even pick up my board so I reset my bluetooth on my Galaxy S9 and now it connects instantly and BLE scanner app detects it right away and gives bluetooth info, For android it is in settings under general management then press reset and press network settings it will reset wifi,BT, Data settings you will have to enter your wifi settings again but my BT works a lot better

• Another option if this is a hardware issue is to reach out to your CC bank. AMEX for example offers their own warranty that would likely refund or replace the board rather than needing to send it in and deal with the cost, hassle and multi week loss of the board

for example, I had a MacBook go outside of warranty and AMEX offered me a full refund. All I had to do was get a repair quote to prove that it was in fact broken — I wasn’t actually asked to get it repaired or given the amount of the quote, not asked to send them the broken machine. So, most likely we’d just need to get a quote from FM. Could probably just get them to send you a quote for any arbitrary part, although the Bluetooth chip would make the most sense.

• @gsparx What was the outcome of your repair?

• @christian here is my communication with them from bottom to top.

It was supposed to arrive today, but I was in the shower when fedex showed up so I might not be able to get it until Saturday to test. I'll update here with results of testing.

Hi gsparx,

Sure thing!
    The bluetooth connection/strength problem you reported was fixed by replacing part of you board's controller.
    Our technicians also confirmed that it was running excellently before it was shipped out.

Now that it has been repaired, you are ready for some more awesome adventures!

Let me know if you have any further questions.
    Raquel-

On Wed, 14 Nov at 7:21 AM , gsparx wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks for the update! Could you give me a breakdown of what the issue was and how it was fixed?

Thanks!

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 17:38 Future Motion Inc support@onewheel.com wrote:
    Hi,
    Just wanted to let you know your repair is currently being shipped back to you, the tracking link can be found here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Have a good day,
    Team Onewheel

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 14:57 Future Motion Inc support@onewheel.com wrote:
    Hi,

Just following up on the status of your board. We have received your Onewheel in our repair facilities and it is currently in the process of being evaluated. Once we have more information available, we will follow up with you. Have a lovely rest of your day!

Cheers,
    Team Onewheel

• I'm very curious if the connection problems with the new gemini firmware are now fixed by which you are affected

• Just downloaded Gemini but it's raining here in Charlotte so won't have ability to do an actual field test...but I should be able to do a good enough test in the garage and give some feedback if it fixed it though. Will report back in a few hours when I get home.