XR constantly losing app connection?

• Re: Onewheel XR Bluetooth Issues

Sucks. Just got my XR and I'm having trouble keeping a solid connection to the app. When I first start off, it's very difficult to connect. As I'm riding, I'll take out my phone to see what the numbers say and it has the "reconnecting..." screen of death. What this means is as I'm riding, I don't maintain a connection at all and thus I can't get any alerts (footpad sensor, over regen, %50 battery, etc...). It's only when I take out my phone to look at the app does it connect. As soon as I put my phone in my pocket (with the screen locked), I've lost connection!

To rule out it's my phone, I test it with my OW+ and it works fine. The + keeps a constant connection and gives me alerts along the way (w/o me having to proactively look at the app).

@danner did you get this bluetooth issue resolved? Is anyone else having dropping connections btwn the board and the app?

The board rides fine, but I just can't ride without the app. And having to reconnect every time I pull out my phone is really annoying and impractical.

Even while holding the phone in my hand with the app open, it still loses connection and constantly shows "reconnecting..."

argghhhh

• Which iPhone models are you guys using? Might be good to be specific so people can see if there is a pattern here.

I use a X and it works fine. Also use an Apple watch 2, which works ok, as long as a text, etc. doesn't override the display.

• I'm using Android 8.1.0. I've been using it with my + and it works fine. So I have ruled out the phone. I haven't tested it with an iPhone. Shouldn't matter anyways. I'm not going to buy an iPhone just so it's compatible. Android should work regardless.

• @wheelrich said in XR constantly losing app connection?:

I use a X

A X what? A Sony X or Huawei X or iPhone X?

• I use android 8.0 and that works great to!

• @Khayman as I said..."which iPhone ...I use a X "(ten).

I forgot these also work on Androids. But still a good idea to specify and see if anyone else is having problems with this specific combination. Don't assume because something works on one model, it will be flawless on another. Technology can be very finicky and unpredictable at times, and much of the electronics in the XR is different that the previous models.

• @wheelrich said in XR constantly losing app connection?:

I said..."which iPhone

OH! So you mean I should start to read everything you said before I comment? Well I wouldn't be me if I did 😜
    Just kidding! I missed that part👍🏻sorry

• @Khayman lol. No prob. I do that all the time myself, so I can't throw stones at you!

• I have an iPhone 6s Plus that worked great with my OW+, and I have initial connection issues with my XR. Usually have to go through a solid 10-15 minutes of closing out the app, restarting bluetooth and restarting the board in no special order to finally get them to talk. Once connected it's solid, but sometimes I just say f' it and ride without the connection. Does anyone know what version of BT the XR uses? I think the 6s Plus is 4.1, so if the XR is a higher version it may be having problems clocking down?

• I'm using android (Pixel 2), got no connection problems so far.

• @jonnyk All Bluetooth versions since 5+ years ago should be fully backwards-compatible. That said, I just started having problems with my iPhone 7's connection to my XR yesterday. I was in the middle of a ride, and all my stats froze (battery level stopped dropping, mileage stuck). I had to force kill the app multiple times before it would connect.

• @readysetawesome
    Yeah, I really question just how backwards compatible Bluetooth versions are sometimes. For instance, the bluetooth version in my car is pretty old because it's a 2012 model, any phone I've had that was natively 4.x bluetooth has had issues with the connection being buggy, even though it should work, same as BT headsets, and it's typically in the initial discovery, even though it was a previously paired device. Pain in the butt.

• weak. it seems this bluetooth thing is a "latent bug" issue. Highly doubt FM can do anything about it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I can't imagine if this were the case w/ a boosted board where the bluetooth connection to the remote is critical. How would you stop if you suddenly lose connection? (I don't ride a boosted, but I'm guessing the board would just go neutral if it loses connection to the remote).

But still, the connection on my ow+ is perfect and stays connected (as far as I can tell) the whole time. Whenever I look at my phone, I never see the reconnecting prompt (while I'm riding of course). For those of you w/ more than one board, can you confirm this?

It's possible FM has chosen a choppy bluetooth chipset manufacturer or they've gotten sloppy at integrating the chip into their controller.

• 20+ days and still no response from FM. It's still on my mind and I just found out there is a "Bluetooth connection" settings in the OW app. I didn't notice it at first because it's in the app settings when you're not connected to any board at the moment.

The two settings under the Bluetooth connection section are 1) "Display connection issues" (appropriate for my situation) and 2) "Suppress when unused". Both settings appear to be turned off by default.

Feel a little goofy for discovering something that was there the whole time. I'll have to break out the XR tomorrow and test it against these settings. Hopefully, I'll gain some insight and have PROOF the bluetooth connection is dropping and reconnecting.

Anybody have experience with these settings?

• As the developer of the OneWheelWear app, I am also experiencing disconnects from the board depending on the device being used. Fact is, that the Bluetooth antenna is sometimes not in the best spot or has a too poor performance in order to receive the board's signal at all times.

The high number of different Android device manufacturers make this really challenging.
    I hope, that the antenna performance in newer devices will improve, since Bluetooth 5 has a higher range in the specification. So the antennas have to become better, anyways.

• if anybody is curious, I tested my XR and + on a 5 mile track with the same phone. The XR easily drops and reconnects about 6-8 times while the + didn't drop once!

Both rides lasted about 20 min. The phone is no further than my back pocket.

On another note, a little disappointed how I see some people on the forum claim they have contacted FM for support and got serviced right away (typically by calling) while I've been waiting 27+ days on my ticket because I used email.

I don't want to call FM via phone because I don't want to do to others what has happened to me: jump ahead of other customers that are still waiting for service.

• I'm having the same problem. Two XRs. The Bluetooth connection on one won't work (the newer one with 20 miles on it) but the older one (pioneer board with 250 miles) works just fine. If I can get it to connect it won't show any data in real time. It just keeps dropping the connection.

• @Rado Out of curiosity, what type of phone are you trying to connect?

• @skyman88 iPhone 6S. My V1 also connected fine.

• My iPhone 8+ always has to reconnect to my xr while riding. It may connect briefly and update battery but I barely ever get to see speed or other data.