XR constantly losing app connection?

• @CaptLucky

Is the new circuit board showing the same hardware version 4208?

• Hi Onewheel Riders,

So I recently purchased a Onewheel + XR in France from Freemove.fr (Best service)
    As it is possibly the best feeling available when waves and snow are not around offering me freedom to ride anywhere at anytime I have been using it a lot :)
    Unfortunately I recently started having connectivity issues between the board and the App, so annoying when paying that price for a device.

That said I would like to share that I found randomly a trick in order to connect/reconnect my board every time.

Note:
    +iPhone 6s with bluetooth, wifi and data activated.
    +App Version: 2.1.20
    +App setting: Auto connect ON.

Steps:
    1/Turn ON the App.
    2/Turn ON the board (so far pretty simple :P).
    3/Turn your iPhone Plane mode ON then OFF again.1_1545139624812_OW 2.jpg 0_1545139624812_OW 1.jpg
    4/Back to the app the board should connect straight away

So far works every-time for me.
    Please note that the connection stay the all ride without any problem :)
    Let me know if it works for you ;)
    Hope it will help.

Have a Good day Riders

• No joy on the airplane mode "trick" . Got my XR last week. They swear they haven't heard of this issue at FM and assure me it will be fixed if i send it in. So far, i haven't read any happy endings so i'm gonna juts wait and not send it in.

• Airplane "fix" doesn't work either, may just be a fluke. Ive seen multiple people complain about the bluetooth, dont know how FM cant know about it. Ive also heard about people getting it"fixed" and the board is worse off when they get it back, so I'm gonna hold out hope and hope that somehow its software related.

• I posted about two months ago about the Bluetooth dropping problem. It was problematic right out of the box. I called and got the FedEx shipping label. When it got cold here I sent it in. It arrived in California facility on December 8th. And I received it back today December 18th and so far it is fixed. Took a short ride without problems - walked away from it 10-15 feet without problems. Don't know what they did. No explanation letter or email but hey - I am happy.

• @CletusVanneDamme
    Really I am sorry to hear that.
    Are you using an iPhone also?
    With the same app version?

• @Atomicmonkeys5 Great news - thanks for posting. Not too many boards have been reported as fixed so this is very encouraging... Do you have "0 miles" on it now?

• @Jackalope actually it didn't zero out. I had to download my saved rides again from the cloud but other than that miles, top speed etc was preserved. I am planning on a much longer ride this Saturday so will further update if things change

• @tlamb2 Thanks for this suggestion. I just made this change on my Samsung Note 9 BT settings. I just did a short test ride only a mile and a half but I had no dropped connections which is pretty much unheard of for my XR. I've had about three hundred miles on it since I've had it for 2 months and it has always had dropped connections every minute or two. I will test some more tomorrow but this seems already to have made a big Improvement.

• @suboba I am having trouble staying connected. I bought mine December 2018 and it is hardware version 4208. I am using an Android phone (Kyocera duraforce pro) running Android 7.1.

• I’ll add my $0.02 here too. I also have connectivity issues. Build 4208 and iPhone XR.

I tried out the app on my Apple Watch series 3 and it was better but still dropped occasionally but far less frequently than my phone. I will probably use the watch until we get confirmation FM has a fix in place.

• @leddzep hmmm. how are you connecting your apple watch without your iPhone being connected also??? I have the series 4 and iPhone X from last year. If my iPhone disconnects, my watch disconnects. I was not aware of an independent apple watch app for the OW. If there is one, I would love to have it!

• Update: I sent my XR 4208 in to FM to have the Bluetooth issue fixed. A much better experience this time, took about two weeks total. It seems like they just replaced the entire controller because my mileage was reset to 0. The Bluetooth signal is better now and usable although it is still not as good as my other XR 4206 hardware and my original V1. Before the only way the app would work is if my phone was no more than 3” away from the front pad. Now it works while standing on the board maybe 3-4 feet away. Any farther than that and it will disconnect. I was able to successfully record a ride with the phone in my front pocket. I did notice if I turn the lights on while standing on the board and holding the phone in my hand it will show the “reconnecting” message and the app becomes unresponsive for a few seconds. I would say it’s not a real fix but more of a good enough fix for now. I hope in the future they can find a real fix for this issue. My V1 from 4 years ago is rock solid and has no problems even from 15-20 feet distance. Same with my older XR. At least I can check my battery level without crouching down or getting off the board.

• @wheelrich not sure if it’s independent from the phone but I launch the app from my watch only and it seems more stable based on my experience.

• @leddzep hey, I am willing to try anything. I'll give it a go.

• Hi everyone,
    I bought my OW XR in november (hardware 4208) and since then I have this Bluetooth connexion problem (my phone is a SAMSUNG A3). FM proposed to send it back to them, but as I'm in France, I don't want to do it unless I'm sure they have a good fix to this issue.
    Yesterday, with one of my friend who own an older XR than me and connect it to his iPhone without any problem, we share our OW for a test. I manage to stay connected to his OW during 5 minutes and in the same time, he was keeping getting disconnected from my board with his iPhone. This is the proof, if necessary, that there is an issue with those 4208 OW XR...
    So I'm really hesitating to send it to FM.

• I’m not a lawyer, but I was doing some unrelated reading about warranties and learned all kinds of fascinating things y’all might care about:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Points of interest:

• FM can’t invalidate your warranty just because you (I have) broke the “warranty void if removed” stickers
    • FM can’t make you pay the shipping costs (unless the board wasn’t actually defective)
    • FM must give you a replacement board or refund if they can’t repair it. Thus, we are all entitled to refunds since they apparently can’t repair them...

Aside: credit card protections like AMEX will issue a full refund in order to honor their warranty extensions. I don’t believe this penalizes FM in anyway although it probably should (for the sake of motivating them to care and fix the problem)

Advice: if FM gives you a hard time about repairing the board I would drop a reference to this Act and suggest they reconsider. I’d probably seek a refund over replacement considering no one has been receiving new boards without the defect :/

Lastly: I’m really bummed I had to write any of this. I love the OW but the BT problem is infuriating given how much we depend on it to use the board. It’s really not a small flaw, it’s a health risk when you consider what happens if the battery unexpectedly dies

• @dag0bert thanks for the explanation. Have you guys attempted a BT sticker somewhere on the board that can amplify the signal? Cost affective and simple.

• @rm3327375 it seems like a great idea but is there something like that on the market?

• Hope this helps someone else out there having bluetooth connection issues - I've now put 900 miles on my XR. At around 300 miles I gave up on the OneWheel App because of the Bluetooth connection issues. At around 600 miles after an unfortunate nose-dive incident I started researching avoidance techniques, and after adapting to a new foot position technique, I now get constant connection to the App.

The most popular riding position (avoiding incidents) seems to be riding with your feet really close to the wheel as if you would with Air Fins. I ride regular, and tried that, but didn't like it. I've adapted to my front foot resting almost parallel with the wheel, my front heel touching the fender and my front toes angled away from the fender about 1.5" towards the front of the board. My rear foot is exactly the same orientation, but placed middle of back foot plate. I believe because my front feet aren't covering the bluetooth I now get reliable signal. Hope this helps someone else out without having to return the board!