XR constantly losing app connection?

• @tlamb2 Thanks for this suggestion. I just made this change on my Samsung Note 9 BT settings. I just did a short test ride only a mile and a half but I had no dropped connections which is pretty much unheard of for my XR. I've had about three hundred miles on it since I've had it for 2 months and it has always had dropped connections every minute or two. I will test some more tomorrow but this seems already to have made a big Improvement.

• @suboba I am having trouble staying connected. I bought mine December 2018 and it is hardware version 4208. I am using an Android phone (Kyocera duraforce pro) running Android 7.1.

• I’ll add my $0.02 here too. I also have connectivity issues. Build 4208 and iPhone XR.

I tried out the app on my Apple Watch series 3 and it was better but still dropped occasionally but far less frequently than my phone. I will probably use the watch until we get confirmation FM has a fix in place.

• @leddzep hmmm. how are you connecting your apple watch without your iPhone being connected also??? I have the series 4 and iPhone X from last year. If my iPhone disconnects, my watch disconnects. I was not aware of an independent apple watch app for the OW. If there is one, I would love to have it!

• Update: I sent my XR 4208 in to FM to have the Bluetooth issue fixed. A much better experience this time, took about two weeks total. It seems like they just replaced the entire controller because my mileage was reset to 0. The Bluetooth signal is better now and usable although it is still not as good as my other XR 4206 hardware and my original V1. Before the only way the app would work is if my phone was no more than 3” away from the front pad. Now it works while standing on the board maybe 3-4 feet away. Any farther than that and it will disconnect. I was able to successfully record a ride with the phone in my front pocket. I did notice if I turn the lights on while standing on the board and holding the phone in my hand it will show the “reconnecting” message and the app becomes unresponsive for a few seconds. I would say it’s not a real fix but more of a good enough fix for now. I hope in the future they can find a real fix for this issue. My V1 from 4 years ago is rock solid and has no problems even from 15-20 feet distance. Same with my older XR. At least I can check my battery level without crouching down or getting off the board.

• @wheelrich not sure if it’s independent from the phone but I launch the app from my watch only and it seems more stable based on my experience.

• @leddzep hey, I am willing to try anything. I'll give it a go.

• Hi everyone,
    I bought my OW XR in november (hardware 4208) and since then I have this Bluetooth connexion problem (my phone is a SAMSUNG A3). FM proposed to send it back to them, but as I'm in France, I don't want to do it unless I'm sure they have a good fix to this issue.
    Yesterday, with one of my friend who own an older XR than me and connect it to his iPhone without any problem, we share our OW for a test. I manage to stay connected to his OW during 5 minutes and in the same time, he was keeping getting disconnected from my board with his iPhone. This is the proof, if necessary, that there is an issue with those 4208 OW XR...
    So I'm really hesitating to send it to FM.

• I’m not a lawyer, but I was doing some unrelated reading about warranties and learned all kinds of fascinating things y’all might care about:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Points of interest:

• FM can’t invalidate your warranty just because you (I have) broke the “warranty void if removed” stickers
    • FM can’t make you pay the shipping costs (unless the board wasn’t actually defective)
    • FM must give you a replacement board or refund if they can’t repair it. Thus, we are all entitled to refunds since they apparently can’t repair them...

Aside: credit card protections like AMEX will issue a full refund in order to honor their warranty extensions. I don’t believe this penalizes FM in anyway although it probably should (for the sake of motivating them to care and fix the problem)

Advice: if FM gives you a hard time about repairing the board I would drop a reference to this Act and suggest they reconsider. I’d probably seek a refund over replacement considering no one has been receiving new boards without the defect :/

Lastly: I’m really bummed I had to write any of this. I love the OW but the BT problem is infuriating given how much we depend on it to use the board. It’s really not a small flaw, it’s a health risk when you consider what happens if the battery unexpectedly dies

• @dag0bert thanks for the explanation. Have you guys attempted a BT sticker somewhere on the board that can amplify the signal? Cost affective and simple.

• @rm3327375 it seems like a great idea but is there something like that on the market?

• Hope this helps someone else out there having bluetooth connection issues - I've now put 900 miles on my XR. At around 300 miles I gave up on the OneWheel App because of the Bluetooth connection issues. At around 600 miles after an unfortunate nose-dive incident I started researching avoidance techniques, and after adapting to a new foot position technique, I now get constant connection to the App.

The most popular riding position (avoiding incidents) seems to be riding with your feet really close to the wheel as if you would with Air Fins. I ride regular, and tried that, but didn't like it. I've adapted to my front foot resting almost parallel with the wheel, my front heel touching the fender and my front toes angled away from the fender about 1.5" towards the front of the board. My rear foot is exactly the same orientation, but placed middle of back foot plate. I believe because my front feet aren't covering the bluetooth I now get reliable signal. Hope this helps someone else out without having to return the board!

• @suboba Glad that you started this thread. I've had my OW XR for less than a week (new condition), put fewer than 10 miles on it (no damage) and have NEVER completed even a short ride while connected to BT. As such, none of the OW app features such as "time to turn around" or "wheel slip" have ever worked. Neither does it map my ride. I'm disappointed in it.

• All this chatter and many boards returned for service, yet @Future-Motion keeps shipping these out with this defect? You'd think if they know about it (and how could they not), this would be a high priority test for their QA before shipping. I plan to send in my XR in March (it's at my vacation home) and am hoping they actually know what to fix by then.

@quickroll agree, so much of the added functionality of the board depends on the phone app . . . this is no minor issue!

• @OneDan I agree. A nice CES announcement would have been that they actually fixed this once and for all. These continuing posts give the impression that they just don't care. Very poor p.r. for a business.

• I got a second XR for XMAS and it has the BT issues still... wtf FM.

I had one of the first XR's (Hardware 4206) and it never had any bluetooth issues. But now this new 4208 board can hardly connect or stay connected, looks like it's going back to FM. You'd really think they'd do some better testing on these things before they are sent out.

• Same issue here like everyone: Brand new XR, hardware 4208, cannot keep BT connection. Only works when the phone is right next to the board. The effect : Cannot track rides, cannot get battery warning, cannot easily change ride modes... its pretty annoying for such a expensive machine!

Must be hardware related cos it works for when I hold the phone very close, so the radio signal is not transmitted effectively. Could be poor antenna, or a bad Bluetooth chip. In any case: Doesn't look like its easy/economical to fix (in the production line), since new boards still have this problem. Maybe the main controller boards all have this issue and they got thousands of them produced already.

• Hi all,
    Same here, new board from November 2018 hardware 4208. I really enjoyed the board willingly forgetting about the BT problem but back from holidays I decided to do something about it.
    Thank you all for the thorough investigation on bluetooth connectivity, that saved me the trouble from doing it myself. I have the exact same situation (constat disconnection while riding or if I step away of the board more than 2 m ).
    I bought my board from Ride On in France and I have linked this thread as well as my personal comments asking how FM was planning on fixing this issue.
    As I understand it from now boards are coming back from FM not being fixed all the time...

• Might help if everytime we mention FM, we type @Future-Motion instead . . . SOMEONE must be getting these notifications!

• Hi @Future-Motion have contacted me to say they are willing to repair my XR to resolve the Bluetooth issues. I live in the UK, so this will mean me being without my board for weeks getting it shipping back to the US and then returned. Has anyone here had the repair and can reassure me it does indeed resolve the issue?

Cheers!