XR constantly losing app connection?

• My brand new Onewheel loses connection with the app a lot. Sometimes while driving 'reconnecting' appears several times in a row. Sometimes when I put my phone in my pocket while driving, when I take my phone out, it says the maximum speed during the drive is 8km/h, while I know it was faster than that (so probably the app lost connection). Or when I stop, and take my phone out of my pocket to change the driving mode, the speedometer in the app still gives a (fixed) speed. It gives me a warning I cannot change drive mode unless I slow down to 1km/h. (despite the fact that the wheel is standing still) In this case it never reconnects to the app, only until I hold the phone in my hand, close to the board, stand on the board and engage the motor. Then (after reconnecting; sometimes it takes a while) the meter falls to zero and I can change the driving mode. Please help me to fix this problem; because it really is annoying; certainly for a purchase this expensive, everting should work just perfect.

• @JH You'll need to contact and send it back to @Future-Motion

• Hi all, I found out what the Bluetooth problem is, anyone has a XR controller board on their hands?

Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 19.31.04 .png

• @kanguru007 said in XR constantly losing app connection?:

Hi all, I found out what the Bluetooth problem is, anyone has a XR controller board on their hands?

Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 19.31.04 .png

So what’s the problem? How do we fix it? I’m pretty sure we all have an XR controller board in our Onewheel’s but what do we do to fix the problem?

• @tomfoolery the bluetooth module soldered on the controller board is almost touching the metal plate that closes the box, that blocks the RF (it is surprising that it still works).

An external antenna is possible and I guess it will increase range and reliability enormously. (can be a 1/4 wavelength sized small piece of wire)

• I would like a better quality picture of the board to have an idea on the easiest way to connect the antenna

Modern iPhone or hi-end Android with good lighting is good, focused on the bluetooth module (where it says ILT245s)

• I started putting my phone in a jacket chest pocket or a jacket side pocket, instead of my jeans pocket, and my signal works all the time when I’m riding. As phone stays connected, my Apple Watch app also stays connected. If I put phone back in my jeans it loses connection as soon as I start riding.

• Googling for that BT chip yields some interesting results. Other products using it have issues, too. Also found a pin out schematic — apparently the first pin is the antenna if someone with a soldering iron wants to play around?

• Ok, FM replied on my ticket. I can send the board back for the Bluetooth repair. If its under warranty it is on their expenses. If not, I have to pay. If they can't find anything, shipment costs are on me.
    Since this appears to be a common error and I have it since the day I got the board, I cant's see why it would not be covered by warranty. But, shipping it from Europe to USA and back, is a big cost if they would claim there was nothing wrong or it was not under warranty. Anyone experience with this?
    And any problems with taxes or duties when zending back to Europe? (I have an invoice that can prove I bought the wheel in Belgium)

• @gsparx they did not charge anything? You live in the USA? I want to ship mine from Europe, but if they would claim there is no problem with BT or it's not under warranty, (shipping) cost are on me... How long did it take to send in and return your board?

• I also am having same connectivity problem. Brand new XR with updated firmware. Disconnects as soon as I put my phone in my pocket!

• @Diceman Yes, exactly the same issue as i have. My board is at FM right now and is currently in the repair queue. Soon i will know if they wil fix it under warranty. (I can't imagine they won't)

• @JH Looking forward to hearing from you once the board is returned. I still haven't heard any success stories and have been following this thread for months. (...admittedly, I could have missed one) Thanks!

• @MotoGPTy I sent in my XR to have the Bluetooth issue fixed under warranty. I didn’t pay anything. It is improved but not as good as my V1 or Plus.

• I'm about to send mine back. Will be under warranty they said. I heard of quite a few people who had their board back and it works very good after.

• @kanguru007 Here is the user manual for that Bluetooth module. It’s probably worth a look at. ILT254S: https://fccid.io/2AAXH-ILT254/User-Manual/User-manual-2126527

It does have an external antenna pin on pin one of the PCB module. Not sure if it needs to be turned on to use it. I just sent my board in to “fix” it. I’ll see if it gets any better before trying this myself. I work with RF electronics so doing a little micro soldering is not a big deal for me, but I would doubt anybody can do this with out the right tools.

• I just sent mine in yesterday. They say turn around is 2 weeks I hope so and hope they fix it. I figured with all the rain we are getting here in SoCal it is the perfect time to send in I will post the results when it is returned