XR constantly losing app connection?

• My board is totally stock. I’m not sure if this problem existed right from the get go. I didn’t check the first day, I just rode till my legs gave out.

Perhaps the Bluetooth module has an external antenna that is disconnected or broken. It would be nice to find a tear down pics of the control module. Although I wouldn’t open mine up because I want to preserve the warranty.

• @Rado I did open a ticket online. A little too busy to call. I just wanted to make sure to log with them a failure. I know it will be a while till anything happens.

• @CLBR - Stock board, 2 days old.

• Can anyone from the FM support team reply with the comment on this "XR constantly losing app connection" problem - please!
    It seems many of us are having similar issue.
    Did anyone got reply from FM on this?

• @Jackalope I have. I opened a ticket 28 days ago now. I gave them all the info they requested and was told they’re engineers are “looking into it”. My guess is that the controller modules will need to be replaced with better Bluetooth chips. This is going to cost them a lot of $$ depending on the amount of affected boards. Shipping them back and forth isn’t cheap. I haven’t seen anyone with hardware 4208 that isn’t affected yet.

• @Rado thanks a lot! please keep us inform

• iPhone X (no blue-tooth issues elsewhere - and works perfect with my sons OW+)
    iOS 12
    OneWheel SW: Andromeda 4117
    OneWheel HW: 4208

Data points:

• When using OneWheel App it's almost never connected. Try to use the watch, even worse.

• Dowloaded Float Deck app as I wear wrist guards and cannot check my watch, Float Deck somehow maintains a connection much better, giving me regular battery, speed, and other notifications in my earpiece. I still get the occasional drop-out.

• If I hold my iPhoneX lower than waist height, towards my front foot, or forward back pocket I get a more reliable connection when on the go.

• When not on the board, , or the board is on charge I can be within 5' to 7' and will get an almost instantaneous connection.

• @CLBR

Only fender for me.

• @rfkilowatt I did the same for the same reasons on the 10th. I know they are busy, but when they reply, I do expect a lot from these people with this incredible product.

• @Rado I could totally live with fixing this myself - if they put out a video in detail how it is done. How bad can it be? Sending hundreds back would be really bad.... Some places I also guess they could ally with local repairshops/engineers...? Just thinkin`out loud here.

• Agree - with a video I’d do the repair myself If it’s a matter of swapping the control box.

It’s doable - I’ve had the decks and skid plates off to look at the internals. I disconnected the footpad sensor cable from the control box - ezpz. I suspect that removing the cables that connect the battery and the wheel motor are slightly more involved but look pretty straight forward. That said, if it’s 500 units and the cost to ship and repair is $500, that’s a pretty easy business call to eat the cost and have happy customers.

I suspect they are looking for a cheap firmware fix on this and that’s part of the delay in dealing with the issue.

• update: just keeping you guys posted. Just sent my board in! Now we anxiously wait.

Will keep you guys posted and report back as soon as possible. Let's do it FM!

• @JosephpOW said in XR constantly losing app connection?:

iPhone X (no blue-tooth issues elsewhere - and works perfect with my sons OW+)
    iOS 12
    OneWheel SW: Andromeda 4117
    OneWheel HW: 4208

Data points:

• When using OneWheel App it's almost never connected. Try to use the watch, even worse.

• Dowloaded Float Deck app as I wear wrist guards and cannot check my watch, Float Deck somehow maintains a connection much better, giving me regular battery, speed, and other notifications in my earpiece. I still get the occasional drop-out.

• If I hold my iPhoneX lower than waist height, towards my front foot, or forward back pocket I get a more reliable connection when on the go.

• When not on the board, , or the board is on charge I can be within 5' to 7' and will get an almost instantaneous connection.

This is interesting. The last bullet mentioned when you weren’t on the board “moving” or when it’s charging you can connect from 5’-7’ no problem. I wonder if there’s a big draw that’s not providing enough power to the Bluetooth connection when operating.

• @tomfoolery, from my own testing, I think it is the fact that @JosephpOW ‘s body is between his phone and the board while riding but not while testing the connection while the bord’s plugged in.. If he turned around and put his body between his board and phone within 5-7’ the connection would drop.
    When we ride, our feet and legs are absorbing the low-powered Bluetooth signal. That’s why, sometimes, if you hold your phone away from your body while riding (not recommended) and your front foot isn’t covering the Bluetooth chip too much from your stance, your phone will reconnect. If your board and phone have clear line of sight to each other, a connection can be made between 5-10’ from my experience. But it doesn’t take much insulation at all to make it drop.

• @eckit and @tomfoolery ... confirmed. When board is on charge and in vertical orientation the signal is strong and can be picked up from 5’ to 7’. When board is on but not charging and ready to go signal becomes sporadic and worse when I put my body between it. So power to BT could be the issue.

Here’s where confusion sets in for me. The Float Deck App somehow maintains a great connection, faster and more reliably. At the end of each long ride I’ll review the line graph showing speeds, power draw and voltage. That data has to be coming through live to the app unless the board is storing that information ... and it rarely shows a drop in data/connection, although I have no way of verifying other than the summary graph.

At this point it’s a mild irritant to pick my digital shape via the app at the start of a ride, then kill the app and open
    Float Deck.

• Thank god I wasn’t the only one! The constant connection loss issue has driven me crazy. I have an iPhone 6s (iOS 12.0) and OW XR (hw: 4208, fw: 4117 andromeda). I ride with my phone in my rear leg’s front pocket, essentially perfectly blocking the BT line of sight.. I’ll be checking back to see what FM does to resolve this issue. I’m in Europe so sending the board back for investigation is not my desired go-to. Good work so far everyone!

• I'm curious if anyone out there who's XR board has HW:4208 and SW: Andromeda 4117 and Does Not have this problem!!!!!

• Hi !

I had the same problem with my Samsung S8 and iPhone XS.
    I found a solution to fix! when I put my phone in the pocket of my rear leg, I did not have any disconnection while in my front leg pocket it did not work.
    Try it ;)

sorry for my English, I'm french rider :o

• @suboba Please do report back. I have the exact same problem and was asked to send it in, but decided not to based on the 'your so-and-so is broken because of something you didn't do and that's going to cost you a buttload of money to fix' stories I've heard too often. Curious how yours turns out!

• Brand new XR, same versions, same problem. I reported it to support, as I think EVERYBODY who is having this problem should.