Do I need float plates or rail protectors?

• I ride on the road and some trails in the wood. Not doing any tricks or nonsense.

Do I need float plates or rail protectors?

• Absolutely not. Those things are pretty useless if you aren’t putting your board through some
    (very) serious abuse. The Onewheel is built like a tank.

• @jackiemoon
    Float plates are great because they not only protect your underside from damage, but they make drops more fun,
    and give you piece of mind while doing so. You will eventually make your way to dropping off small curbs and stuff, I think most do because it's natural progression.
    With that being said, I don't know what model you have, the + or XR, but if you decide you want float plates, send me a msg because I have a new set of float plates for a + in black.
    Enjoy your --o-- !!!

• @jackiemoon

Even just riding off road, I've nailed the back of the board on roots hard enough to shatter the factory plastic casings. Float Plates (@jeffmccosker ) are like a $35 insurance plan in my opinion. No real impact on ground clearance, protect the factory electronics from intentional and unintentional abuse and help you slide if you ever do nose dive on pavement.

I happily have them on my OW+ and XR.

• Only if you are concerned about scratches and scrapes on your OW.

• I can post a few pics of broken controller module and battery casing covers if you want? One added benefit is you aren't worried to let other people try your board because they won't be able to scrape it up when they crash if you have Float Plates and Sidekicks.

• @jeffmccosker
    Thanks to all for the thoughts
    For regular road riding likely unnecessary

I rode in the woods with a lot of rocks and the board was taking a beating

If you have pics that might convince me

Not really worried about battle scars on the rails

Cheers

• @jackiemoon opinions are rarely changed via the internet!

My OW+ took a beating when I first got it and I let a dumb friend try it who did more damage in 5 minutes than I had in 100 miles... I know it's cosmetic, but it's an expensive toy for me and I don't mind keeping it looking fresh.

I didn't take my XR out on the street until my plates and sidekicks were installed. It will remain clean looking for life... just my preference.

Oh yeah and I have dents in my float plates from off roading, so I know I've gotten my money's worth and then some.

• This forum is whack and won't let me post photos :/
    Off the top of my head, the winner of this year's Race For The Rail, Dave Stewart busted a hole in his battery casing and killed his board before he put on float plates. Soup from Hover Hooligans destroyed his connections cover and had a runaway board that blasted into me without float plates. Mike T. blasted a giant crack across his controller module housing at FloatLife Fest last year about an hour after I was giving him a hard time for not having Float Plates.

• After paying a hefty price for my XR, I don't mind paying an additional $44 bucks to give it some additional protection.

• I don't ride very hard or do many curb drops (maybe one per week) but Float plates are pretty much mandatory on the XR IMO because the design of the XR bumpers (lower clearance) causes them to wear out 3x faster than the stock bumpers on my Plus. Basically never need to replace the bumpers if you have float plates because those make contact first. They will also reduce frame rail scratches and dents by at least 50%

• What readysetawesome said. The XR bumpers design is not quite there yet. They are better than nothing and I hope they continue working on it, but as it is now I'm pretty happy that I got float plates on as well.

Maybe the optimal design would be XR bumpers as a shell (current design) with additional "wear and tear" modular slots - say a tailguard and bottom plate that dips below the rails (so they take the contact before the rails) that you could easily replace as you wear them out.

This is close to what you end up with using the float plates. The forward edge of the float plate act as a tailguard, and the rest dips below the rails in addition to adding a quite thick layer of protection to the battery/controller when you do have that really bad smash.

As for rails, I don't like gouging out (over time) the main frame of a device that is carrying me at speed. The rail protectors are an easy way of avoiding that kind of wear. And you get the additional bonus of having the option to become a total fashion junkie now that there are color options available etc ;)

• ok i better get some float plates now, i just got my xr

• @tm1nor I have a set of blue XR float plates that I don't use. $25 plus shipping if you're interested.

• @Rado hit me up please! yes ( I tried to message you but I can't figure this out lol)

• Ok
    I’m convinced
    I’ll pick up a pair of float plates

Thanks to all for differing perspectives

Cheers