WARNING! Flying with OneWheel in Checked Bag

• I checked Spirit Airlines baggage policy which also matches up with most other airlines and it states no hoverboards. It did not specify what a hoverboard is. I read plenty of threads about people successfully carrying on and checking their OneWheel so I gave it a shot flying out to California for Burning Man. No problem getting it there, the TSA even checked my bag. I know this because they break my zip tie and leave a note that the bag was searched.

On the way home from California at the Oakland Airport, I drop my bag off and head to my gate. I get a call from Spirit baggage and they ask me to return to the ticket counter. When I arrive they say they TSA won't allow them to fly the OneWheel because it exceeds their wattage limit of 100 watts. I asked if I can carry it on and they said no. I asked if I could remove the battery and they said they wouldn't fly it regardless if the battery was removed. They basically said there was nothing they could do.

BE CAUTIOUS OF FLYING WITH YOUR ONEWHEEL!

In case you were curious, I was able to sweet talk the gate employee into stashing it behind the counter until my friend who lives in Oakland could pick it up that afternoon and ship it to me. But don't count on that happening, the employee said it was clear they were not supposed to hold items for passengers.

• That sucks, I was planning on putting mine back in the boxes it came in, wrapping it in tape and checking it as my luggage. Sucks that it's at the TSA and not the airline's discretion or I'd just find an airline that would allow it.

• You definitely can't travel with lithium batteries in checked baggage - this is considered a dangerous item and can only be shipped separately as such, or carried onboard.

AFAIK there's no valid reason for them to refuse to allow the board with the lithium battery removed, however. Even the supposed size limit of 100Wh is not a TSA limit, but an airline choice. Check it out: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

• @elHOMBRE

Right the key is:
    With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours).

• Was the OW a plus or an XR? The Plus should be able to fly while technically, the XR should not given the battery specs.

• @Stay_in_school There are three models

• @SkydiveJesus

V1 and OW+ = possible to legally fly with

XR = not possible to fly

• According to the US Department of Transportation, "Lithium-Ion Battery, installed in a device (more than 100 but less than 160 watt-hours). Operator approval required" is permitted: https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/safe-travel/batteries

It sucks when TSA agents are inconsistent and do not follow their own rules. Plenty of people fly with V1 and Plus models which is allowed under the rules. Occasionally an agent will decide not to follow the set rules and prohibit these OWs. Here is one flying experience: https://oneradwheel.com/how-to-fly-with-a-onewheel-my-packing-airline-experience/