Better Nosedive Warning

• Although I agree that there should be a better warning, as when pushback occurs it leaves some play room where those of us concerned like to ride, the "fixes" that are being proposed don't make sense from a physics standpoint. The best fix would be a stronger motor; I want my onewheel to go 50 mph but I'm nuts (half joking). As it stand now, the device simulates pushback by decreasing the threshold dip on the X-axis on whatever side you are leaning, all the while, it is trying to maintain that speed, or if you continue to lean it is then trying to give you that speed in order to keep the board level. 99% of the time the nosedive occurs because of the latter scenario; the board simply does not have enough power to give you in order to maintain that balance. If you cannot understand that the machine giving you momentum in whichever direction to counter the weight/lean you are placing on the board, then you do not understand how this board works.

• I don't know what the fix is, but I stopped riding the onewheel after nosediving 3 times when I took it to burning man. I've never ridden it before or since. The first time it nose dived I ran it out ok. The second time it nose dived I judo rolled out, slightly painful. The third time I slammed my wrist, hip and shred my knee. This was all on dirt, had it happened on concrete I would have ended up in a hospital. When I have time I'll learn the basics slow with kneepads, gloves and helmet and learn how to bail with it on dirt. I doubt I'd ever ride it on the street, maybe in the suburbs, not the city. We'll see, maybe these things can be improved.

• @craigmo said in Better Nosedive Warning:

I've never ridden it before or since.

Sorry for your pains but, and don't take this in the wrong way, this one sentence will sum up why you nosedived; there is no fix for what occurred other than you take the time to learn the board and respect it the way you should any other boardsport.

• +1 for an audible warning please - maybe adjustable via app.

I’ve put a few hundred street and trail miles on mine and thought I knew how to ride but just recently had my first nosedive going down a mild hill maybe 12mph 30% battery and it just launched me off onto asphalt without any pushback warning. I’ve gotten pushback before around 16mph but not even sure - maybe drop a notification on pushback so I know for sure it’s been triggered to learn what it feels like.

I guess leaning too far forward could have done it but didn’t seem like I was and there was no pushback warning - paranoid of this reoccurring as it was a painful crash gonna take months to really recover.

Afraid such a warning feature basically involves having testers try to crash maybe need an articulating crash dummy on a dynamo.

• @Aaron
    On an XR? 30% battery seems to be the threshold for performance decreasing on them.

I'd love to hear that audible beep while in the air...

• Pad up people. Without a nosedive warning this is your best bet.

I recently had my first overcurrent shutdown while navigating tree roots on a downhill trail. That is essentially an instantaneous condition - there is no way for the board to pre-warn because when too may amps of regen power hit, the board has to shut down to protect the batteries.

I didn't actually fall down but with pads everywhere I would have been good to go. No software testing required to verify pads are great: they can be the difference between just getting right back up and going to the hospital.

• @readysetawesome I'm curious to hear about the overcharging shutdown with OW's because it seems actually like a quite common thing. Does going down a relatively big hill charger your OW up quickly? There's quite a steep hill about 200ft long near my house, and I use it to get to a bike trail. When I get my OW I don't want to go down the hill knowing that it could shut off depending on how close to 100% I am.

• @zapp I think I read somewhere that you should go up a hill a ways or find some other way to burn off some juice and to not hit a downhill with more than 95% charge.

• @skyman88 yes it’s an XR and it was the first time I had ridden it with battery lower than 45%

• @zapp I don't think overcurrent shutdown is common - and to be clear what I was describing "overcurrent" can happen no mattery what % your battery has remaining. It is different from "full battery shutdown" or pushback.

But to your question, going downhill can only regenerate, best case, maybe 10-15% of the power expended going up the same hill. If you live on a hill you can solve this by backtracking a little, it really doesn't take much. I live on a moderate hill and I never get the full battery pushback, my driveway has a short steep incline that helps me shave some voltage off before I go down the block and begin my descent.