Always Wear a Helmet!

• @SkydiveJesus yeah but if you die you just come back in three days, it's not so easy for the rest of us

• @SkydiveJesus

If you go to space without a helmet you die. How many cool points does that get you?

• @Achamian said in Always Wear a Helmet!:

@SkydiveJesus

If you go to space without a helmet you die. How many cool points does that get you?

• This post is deleted!

• As a follow-on to this, I got my new helmet today, and comparing it to the old one, it looks like the EPS foam WAS compressed in it, it was just hard to tell if you couldn't compare it to a helmet that's never taken a hard hit.

• Remember the foam has a shelf-life too, if your helmet is more than 5 years old you should consider replacing it, even if you never had any impacts.

• It’s been a week! Just took my first ride since. Man, I missed this board. So happy to be back floating again!

Another thanks to Bern for keeping my skull in one piece.

• @jonas epic.

• Always wear a helmet and gloves with palm protection. I had a decent conversation with a OW rep, yesterday, about my nosedive experience. I was indeed being ignorant to the way the thing works and was pushing for speed after ignoring a gentle pushback cue. My fingertips got pretty badly torn up and I had small graze on my chin. It would have been far worse without any protection. If I had not been wearing my helmet, I would have had road rash on my head with chunks of hair possibly never growing again. If I had not been wearing palm slider gloves, I would have broken my left scaphoid or re-injured my already once-broken right scaphoid. Also keep in mind that when riding this, you are being entirely supported by high technology for the entire ride. Any random unpredictable failure can and statistically does occur.

• I would advise you wear as much protection as you feel you need. 3 years of karate has definitely paid dividends for me as it has simply taught me how to fall better and tuck/roll when possible. So of my 3 nosedives (1 at 24mph like a bozo in a hurry to get home at 3am), my head has never touched the ground.

Coming from a motorcycle safety enthusiast back ground they say "Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall", but damn that wind feels good in the hair. I wear my motorcycle jacket every day though and that has certainly saved me some skin.

I believe people should be free to live their life with whatever degree of apparent danger they feel comfortable with sans criticism.