Dive Safe front wheels.

• I've seen it too many when people get a little too comfortable with the ride. They shift a little to far forward and then BAM!! They're eating the pavements. I've seen a lot people post videos on YouTube there own mods where they install another set of wheels on the front of the board to prevent that major dive to concrete.
    Here are some examples of custom mods for dive safety.
    https://youtu.be/231iTgwJZZQ
    https://youtu.be/UXgwqo1Gi20
    https://youtu.be/jIPGC3pCWCM

• I got a pair, they were not very great IMO and interfered with my stopping and tight turns at times. I learned to avoid nosedives without them.

• @polysix I'm a big fan of the fangs. After a bad nosedive at 22mph (which the fangs probably wouldn't have helped), along with lowering my max speed, I installed these. Sure enough, 500 miles later when being just a bit too aggressive accelerating, the nose went down. Instead of flying off the board, it rolled on the fangs a foot or so and I was able to come back up and continue my ride. In fact, I've already ordered a pair for my upcoming XR purchase. I've never had any problem with them interfering with my ride, but then I don't do any tricks or extreme trail riding.

• @readysetawesome I installed two large 1.25” stainless steel casters on the front of my board. They are the casters you would install on a large toolbox in your garage. They look a bit goofy. Quite literally; they look like Goofy’s big, bucked teeth. But they let me have non-directional protection from nosedives.
    To your point, fangs only work for perfectly-forward motion. And they will get hung up if you dip a corner while performing a tight turn. The casters roll in all directions.

• @eckit could you post a pic of your “hyucks”? Just curious how you mounted the casters and just how goofy they look.

• @OneDan this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I don’t hear many stories of people pushing through the pushback during tight turns. These along with float plates sound like a great combo for when I finally get a —O—

• @tomfoolery sure thing! Will post a few shots from a few angles shortly. It’s funny that you called the “hyucks” I actually named my XR “A-Hyuck” before I even thought to install these because I ride goofy.
    As for how I mounted them, it’s not the most secure. But it does what I need them to do. I cruise, I don’t do tricks so they don’t get knocked around all that much. I just put the original hex screw through one of the mounting holes on each caster.
    But they could be mounted in a much more secure way using a piece of plastic or vinyl like the stuff the float pads are made of as a base that then gets mounted to the board:
    Cut the plastic or vinyl to size
    Pre-drill 2 holes for each caster
    Mount the casters to the plastic or vinyl
    Then pre-drill two holes that line up with the holes already on the underside of the board
    Mount the whole setup to the underside of the board using slightly longer hex screws than the stock ones.

When you see the photos; the black electical tape serves no purpose but aesthetics. It helps the casters blend in with the black stock bumpers.

• This post is deleted!

• @eckit pretty rad idea you came up with there. That’s funny you named your board goofy because you’re goofy footed. I’m new to this forum as I’m super interested in getting a OW and just wanted to learn as much about them as I can. I actually remember reading another thread where you said you named your board “Goofy” and thought that was cool because I also ride goofy footed. Could you post a pic of those things making contact with the ground?

• @tomfoolery sure thing. Here are a few photos.
    0_1538753637046_60343E11-593C-4EB6-8508-00A2F7E2BD41.jpeg 0_1538753620978_C4A7FDAD-2771-49E1-B1FB-AE40ED72A623.jpeg 0_1538753601087_40AFF6D0-08CC-485E-A7F8-7AAA374932E7.jpeg 0_1538753582858_9A466F47-6125-4AF3-AB8A-F1145B289EF5.jpeg

• @eckit that’s awesome man!!! I love how you showed that they even make contact while turning. Have they come in handy yet? I. Curious as to how much a weighted, speedy contact would effect the surface of the bearings and if that would eventually effect if they rolled in their cups sometime down the road.

• @tomfoolery they caught me from a nosedive once. I accelerated too fast up my driveway. Would’ve totally bit it if they weren’t there. They made a nasty grinding noise (think rocks in a tumbler)—but they did the job.
    I also would’ve caught a corner at low speed once while pushing my turn radius but the bearing caught me instead and I just bounced right back up.
    The bearings should be solid chrome or solid stainless steel—so they shouldn’t deform too terribly. They may scuff and even gouge if you hit them hard enough on pavement, but they should never crush or dent. If anything were to deform under stress, it would be the housing.
    That said, a set of six of these ran me something like $20. So if they ever get too banged up, I’ve got a few replacements on deck.
    I don’t know how they will handle high speeds, especially on rougher surfaces. I’d wager not too well. But then again, I’m not entirely sure how fangs would handle similar conditions. Those small wheels can catch a crack or seam in the pavement, too.
    I don’t think there will ever be a foolproof nosedive prevention for all circumstances. But these “a-hyucks” give me a little more peace of mind than riding with naked bumpers.

• @eckit Very cool!

• @eckit I wanna call them "Hyuck Pucks". 😂

• So, remember when I mentioned how the bearings wouldn’t deform, but the housing would? That happened to me today. From a standstill in NYC, I mounted the board and leaned forward to go. Not sure why, but the board never balanced out and I just teatered over to the nose. There was a lump in the asphalt as there often are in NYC and the housing hit the lump before the bearing hit the ground. This deformed the housing to the point that the bearing isn’t free-spinning.
    I consider my first version of the “hyucks” a failure because of this same type of nose dive happened at speed, I would’ve been thrown.
    But that just means I have to go back to the drawing board.
    I’ll post when I come up with a fix.

• @eckit what are the housings made of? Metal or some sort of polymer?

• @eckit - found a reddit post where a guy did something very similar to yours - he mounted to the outside, which doesn't block his lights. But his bearings look smaller too, so they might be even more susceptible to damage/deformation causing the bearing not to roll than yours are:

https://www.reddit.com/r/onewheel/comments/9kwr7m/the_guy_had_a_pretty_good_idea_wondering_how_it/

I have the Fangs - even though I haven't actually needed them yet, in my one bad nosedive (before Fangs existed) I believe they would have helped me either recover, or bought me precious fractions of a second to react and either run it out or tuck and roll, instead of slamming down to pavement on my shoulder and busting it.

Your idea, that the wheel should roll omnidirectionally, seems like a good one - if there was a way to incorporate it into a Fangs-like build (which are v. easy to install and fairly unobtrusive, aesthetically), that could be good.

• @Glyph that is awesome!
    I am currently thinking up a quick way to mount them.
    Some other things that I am taking into consideration:
    Position (out of the way of the lights)
    Lowering the profile of the housing or changing the angle of the housing (so it doesn’t catch before the bearing does)