Sudden Shut Down (v1)

• Just had an inspection on my v1 - new bumpers and pads. Was out riding with my very experienced 13yo daughter (110lbs) on the trails when twice it cut out at around 5mph. She fell the first time, not hurt, but seems dangerous — clearly the power cut out as the board kept rolling. On another hill it could have been a runaway and hit someone. No warning, battery fine, nothing on footpad, and you can see her technique is fine. Any thoughts? I own 2 OWs, have put 1k miles on each.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0s1WOXChzlUw27oR11KhCHoUg

• The icloud share didn't seem to work, so here it is on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/292991026/cc05c0e212

A few things to note:

1. Her feet don't shift all all while riding (look at it frame by frame)
    2. Power cuts out
    3. She's travelling at more than 3mph
    4. There's plenty of battery (she gets right back on)

Again, this is unintentional potentially very dangerous behavior. The other time it happened she was also going relatively slow. Not planning on NOT riding my OW, but want to know what your position on this is.

Thanks.

• Hey there Bob. The share worked for me and I watched the video a couple times trying to see what happened. I’m no expert, I don’t even own a onewheel yet but until I do, I am researching and learning as much as I can about them. Just at first glance it didn’t seem like her foot was covering the sensor all that much. The part that is covered is by the squishy foam part of her sneakers. I know the recommend wearing flat soled shoes but I think that’s mostly for the control aspect, however in my mind that cushy part of the shoe may not have been pressing down hard enough where it was making contact with the combination of her being so light. I watched a video the other day of someone taking apart the v1 front sensor pad and on either side of the sensor was what looked like a thin “plexiglass” spacer (assumingly so the sensor doesn’t get smashed down and stay. My second thought was agreeing with your comment about the overcharge but obviously was not the fault. Thirdly was that there was an intermittent problem with the footpad. You had said that it kept rolling after she fell off which it did but it was not balanced and the overcharge comment leads me to believe she was going downhill so the fact that she fell off the back, she probably launched it a little bit downhill as she came off the board. I did get to test ride a + for about 10 minutes once and while slowly moving I actually set down the tail like I was dismounting because I wasn’t going fast enough. In my inexperienced opinion she was definitely going fast enough. My final opinion after rambling on so much is the shoe/sensor/foot placement/ light rider combo. I’ll try to attach the link for the video where they take the sensor pad apart and maybe that will help show what I was trying to explain. front sensor video

Edit: just watched the Vimeo and you can tell she shifts her weight to her back leg just before the board disengages. To me, that just adds to my theory. To be honest though, at that speed it shouldn’t have disengaged but maybe that’s what keeps the board from continuing to roll away from you if you do the jump off method of dismounting.

• @bobmatnyc it seems that her sensor side heel & toe weight might be heavy on the heel side so that the V1 sensor thinks only the heel side is engaged. If speed is close to low speed limit then it disengages the motor. It seems to just drop out like it does at a low speed dismount.

Might be something else or even a faulty sensor. Good luck and glad she is ok.

• @LidPhones said in Sudden Shut Down (v1):

@bobmatnyc it seems that her sensor side heel & toe weight might be heavy on the heel side so that the V1 sensor thinks only the heel side is engaged. If speed is close to low speed limit then it disengages the motor. It seems to just drop out like it does at a low speed dismount.

Might be something else or even a faulty sensor. Good luck and glad she is ok.

V1’s only have 1 sensor straight across the center pad. The + splits it into a heel/toe sensor. Haven’t seen that torn apart yet though.

• @tomfoolery @LidPhones thanks for the responses. I did a frame by frame, and it seems pretty clear to me that the weight shift was after the motor cut out and was caused by it.

I tend to believe the sensor theory too (even those these are brand new sensors). Because she's slight and the front foot is angled up a bit, that may make sense. The only thing I don't get is the runaway. When you dismount the motor disengages but stays on. The board won't roll freely (hence kick test).

• @bobmatnyc new sensor or not, they can fail or not function properly right out of the box. I’ve read or heard of people having problems on new pads. Glad she was ok though.

• This post is deleted!