Beginner Story and my Suggestions to new Riders.. And Question.. ;)

• First, 41 years Old, Long time skateboarder, I can snowboard and surf a little.. I’m not pro at anything but do have ok balance and feel I can board sport just fine for my age..
    This story is after 2 rides, 16 Miles and 4 falls on my new XR..

Second, OUCH! I was super stoked to get the XR in only 3 days I did pay the 50 bucks for faster shipping. I put on a Helmet and 1 glove because I’m in a hand cast. (Long Story. Not Skating or One Wheeling) After standing on the OW and balancing for a min or two I started moving.. It was too fun to stop. I live in the hills of Burbank CA, I do not know the grade of the hills but they are fairly steep.. I felt OK on it as I do have the skateboarding experience. Before I knew it I was raging up and down the hills.. Trying a few of the modes, I felt I liked Mission and Delirium were working best for me.. I decided to go down to the busy streets, when I came to a stop light I realized the hard way I didn’t know how to get off the thing.. I fell twice. Even after watching countless OW videos and thinking I did.. Maybe rear foot off first fall and just a wobble embarrassing fall the 2nd. I just got shaky after the first fall.

1st Suggestion! Practice Getting off and balancing in one place before you roll out. Learn The Heel lift, or jump off with both feet at the same time! Just learn to get off the thing!

Once feeling comfortable and maybe 5 miles in I somehow just lost it at like 20 MPH or maybe even 21.. The nose just dived. Maybe I was pushing through push back or lifted my heel off the sensor but it just dived and so did I… I was happy to be wearing Jeans the glove, helmet and such but I did scrape my knee, elbow, hip and ankle… It was quite a tumble. Lol
    I shook it off and headed home.. Slow and in pain… But top speed ended up being 21.8.. Guess I really was pushing through the push back.

The next morning I awoke. In Pain… I turned it on and practiced balancing and getting off the board. Then went for coffee and a ride down the bike path and around Burbank. After around 9 miles I was comfortable and hauling ass.. Decided to take the light like a bike.. Hand Signaled my left turn and started going up the hill then it noes dived again.. This time im 90% sure I lifted my heal up a little pushing through the turn way too fast.. I ate it HARD again.. All my wrecks have been in front of a crowd lots of cars or by standers… Awesome! I turned heads in Ahhhh and Ohhhh..

2nd Suggestion! Take your time leaning the feel before you start hauling ass… You will fall!
    Even though I’m in mad pain this morning I cant wait to go ride my OW again.. I just have to take it easy this time.. Its wet outside so maybe later..

3rd Suggestion! BUY A ONEWHEEL!

Question: Any one try front training wheels to maybe stop the nose from diving and grinding to a halt?? Like a reverse wheelie bar? Maybe we could roll out of the stall and nose dive. Maybe for training or High speed runs?! Trying to push past the Push back! lol I’m a bit a dare devil…

Thanks for the Fun and the pain One Wheel! I love you!!!

Jon

• After a little research I found this Glider Mod in another Thread..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=64&v=MO-QIWBJ9P0

Looks like you have to ride it backwards with the sensor on the back foot.. I feel I raise my heel on my rear foot way to much while carving.. Anyone have experience with this mod?

• @JonAmico77 hey man, slow down! LOL I mean, the board CAN go 20+ mph, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD. Also, spend some time reading posts about how to ride safely on this forum, it's invaluable.

I fell the first time at 90 miles on the board going maybe 2 mph. This one, the fangs would have saved me. The next time I fell at 600 miles on my board, I was doing 22 mph. I got pretty banged up, but luckily had full gear on. It was then that I realized I shouldn't push the board more than maybe 16 mph.

After that, I did get the fangs. They won't STOP or PREVENT nose dives, but they "might" give you a few precious seconds of rolling to get the nose back up. I "tested" them out trying to accelerate too quickly across a street and they saved me. However, if you're going too fast, they probably won't help you.

Take it from me after 1300 miles on my board, the idea here is to float, not bomb. I mean, you can do that, but I'd definitely wait until you have the basics down and can float around town at a reasonable speed.

Good luck, man . . . hope you heal well.

• @JonAmico77 hey bud. Nice tips. One day I’ll be the owner of one but until then I’m researching as much as I can about them. The glider mod you found has been updated with a shorty handle for the back so you can put the wheels on the front. You just have to make sure you order that configuration. Personally I like the “fangs 2.0 that @OneDan+ mentioned. You can check them out here. Alternatively there’s another thread with some videos for less low profile but safer looking mods and @eckit ’s “hyucks” he came up with in this thread. Sounds like you definitely pushed through the pushback at 20mph. Ride safe brother. When I get mine we’ll have to plan something between us as I live in ojai and you can show me everything you’ve learned.

• @OneDan

Lol Yeah. 4th Suggestion: SLOW DOWN...

I just couldnt help it... I Downhill skateboards.... lol

• @tomfoolery

Lol. I'd love to explore ojai on the one wheel.. l grew up in Camarillo so pretty familiar.. But finding fun on the new wheel is rad..

Get one quick! Best toy I ever purschased!

• @tomfoolery

And I did go with fangs 2.0. Ordered them a few hours ago.. I will let you k ow if they save me from nose dives like the two Ive been victim of.... Just cuz I know I cant help wanting to go faster...

• @JonAmico77 I’m pretty set on getting the fangs as well. I’ve heard talk of a new OW coming out with shocks. Not the hugest selling point for me but I definitely have a list of goodies I’m gonna want to pop on the OW as soon as I get it. Fender I haven’t really decided on but I know I want one, sidekicks and float plates with the fangs.