wheel locked up

• has anyone experienced the onewheel locking up while riding? mine just stopped while I was riding it and threw me off

• I assume the board was still on, after your rapid unplanned dismount?

This has happened to me a couple times when I hit a bump, rode on my heels too hard, and lost contact with the foot sensors for too long. The wheel has moderate resistance when the board is powered on but disengaged, that's why it feels like it goes from spinning freely to "lock up". Its actually a feature to prevent runaway boards.

In rare cases you may have a foot sensor that is faulty. Test them: turn on the board and while it is at rest, watch the app while you gently press each side of the sensor footpad. The app should clearly show foot/heel contact in the little board animation on the main screen.

• @readysetawesome
    thx. yes, unplanned dismount resulted in a fractured clavical

• @Serenegecko ouch I’m sorry to hear that, get well!

• @Serenegecko this is the famed "Nosedive". Not a feature, but a flaw, thus FM is silent about it. search the forum for Nosedive to find performance reducing "mitigations", but currently no solution. FM has a big problem on their wheels.

• @bioroller bull. There’s nothing wrong with the product and I’m living proof with 4000 combined miles on my various odometers w/no injuries. Nosedives are typically the result of pushing the board beyond its limits as a novice, countless posts on this forum reiterate this basic fact.

Wheel lockups additionally suggest that the rider should look at foot position and test their footpad sensors to be sure of the cause - it’s not mystical when if happens and trying to understand it better will improve our collective safety more than fear-mongering.

• reports of broken bones and torn ligaments are "Data", not fearmongering. Your testimonial supports the assertion that the board (design or manufacturing) has a bug / failure mode. Can you re-create the ND experience at will?

• @bioroller

Any product that uses a single wheel can be over powered, like the OneWheel and all EUC's. EUC's often have larger motors and batteries resulting in a 70 lb product can still nose dive.

FM designed push back for a reason. Past that there isn't enough power to help keep you balanced and keep you accelerating. Nose dives can happen from hitting bumps and shifting your weight or hitting inclines at too great of a speed... all tying back the same idea of over powering the board.

What @readysetawesome and @Fresh are always talking about is learning the board's limits and the limits of your balancing first before pushing it. If you watch Jake Leary he can balance for a life time with the board turned off. So when he's speeding, he's not taxing the motor as much as many, this allows him a greater speed with some safety. If you look at the stereotype of the fast riders it's usually 1. lighter weight, 2. great balance, 3. a learned appreciation for the board's limits.

@slydogstroh has over 20k miles on his Onewheel's with only a handful of ND's... he doesn't have special OW's, it's the rider that also plays a role. He rides every day of the week at @24.5 mph; and he listens to what the board and motor are saying.

• All get familiar with the 5 golden rules to avoid nose dives:
    https://oneradwheel.com/5-onewheel-safety-tips-to-prevent-injury-and-save-lives/