Cold weather riding

• Anyone have any issues with the cold? I have a brand new plus and it will not work in the cold. I get major pushback and error codes for temperature even in my house! I was told the XR has significantly lower threshold for cold, why??! Aren’t they the same batteries, just less for the plus? There is nothing when ordering about that kind of difference. Very frustrating, and a pain to send back to California. Frustrated in Idaho

• @surfinsharon They are an entierly diffrent type of battery. The plus has a lithium Iron phospate battery, while the xr has a Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide battery.

• How cold is your house? According to FutureMotion the board needs to be at 60F or above when you start riding, and will keep itself warm as long as you keep riding it (which is only true down to certain temps i believe). If your house is above 60F and the board doesn't work then it is malfunctioning, that is not expected.

• @surfinsharon
    One option I had thought about for colder temps and believe someone posted about is using those hand warming packets that you open and the exposure to oxygen warms them for an hour-ish...... I believe they duct taped it under the battery compartment. Just an idea.

If your OW is not working at normal room ambient temps then that is a different issue and FM will need to support that. Good luck.

• I had my OW in the back of the car this morning at work and I went to ride it during lunch (it's 14 deg F) However, the power button light came on but when I stood on it nothing... it just tipped front down. I tried a couple of times to turn it on/off but nothing. I guess cold weather isn't good for the OW's. This worries me a little since there's at least 6 weeks of winter left :(

• @Panglossian Just don't keep it in the car. You should have received a error message in the form of blinks around the power button. It would let you know the board was too cold. Basically, you'll need to start the board warm before going outside.

• I always monitor my temperature for battery, controller and motor when I’m riding whether it be in the summer or winter. What I’ve come to notice is that if the battery gets down to 32 degrees Fahrenheit then it will not operate and will give you an Error 17 code for high/low battery temp and give you a low battery style push back. Download the app and monitor temps. Always store in room temp. I just rode home in single digit temps with no problem. @Panglossian

• I ride in the cold a lot but mine remains in the house until I ride then it goes back inside to charge. I’ve not had one problem.

• @Panglossian Never, ever let batteries sit outside in the cold as that will zap them. My winter rides are done in the -2C to +4C range, no problems. But if I leave the board in the car at those temps (the typical "oh, nice weather, gonna cruise after work!" scenario) then the battery will be dead. So bring your board inside and store it somewhere warm to keep the battery charge intact, expose it to the cold when you want to ride and the battery can keep somewhat warm due to discharge.

@HanahsDax Nice info :)
    I got an error code 15 when I forgot my board in the car for 6h at around 0C, it confused the hell out of me at the time until I realized the cold had drained the battery.

• @Maverik me too. And I’ve ridden in single-digit Fahrenheit temps through NYC. I ride for 10-20 minutes at a time and when checking the battery temp at the end of my rides, it drops 2-4° on average.
    Those batteries are super dense and they generate a bit of heat themselves just by discharging.