Fangs or Synergywiz Glider?

• Hey guys, I'm sure this has been covered, but which anti-nosedive option is better? Fangs or the Synergywiz glider? Responses from those who have them would be awesome.

• @c-han8484 said in Fangs or Synergywiz Glider?:

Synergywiz glider

The glider seems to be more of a tool to turn your wheel into a luggage like item, and you can just roll it around rather than carry it. I mean the wheels would be better than nothing, but the fangs are designed only to stop nosedives, I would go with them

• @c-han8484 I haven't seen the Glider in person, but I have Fangs on both my boards, and my buddy has them on his (and he's ridden out 3 nosedives on them). I can tell you that Fangs are sturdily-made, easy to install (judging from the Glider install video I watched, Glider install looks slightly more complicated, though not by a lot), and reasonably-priced in comparison to a serious nosedive injury. And there are a lot of those out there, broken shoulders (like mine) and clavicles.

They are also fairly unobtrusive. The only real downside to me is that they do cause a very slight loss in headlight brightness (they block it just a little on the sides), but I wear a headlamp and have additional external lights mounted to my OW for night riding so this small loss in native OW headlight brightness (which was never sufficient on its own for night riding anyway) is more than offset by the peace of mind Fangs give me.

One thing to note is that if you are primarily going to ride off-road, Fangs probably won't help you there, and could theoretically even catch on something unnecessarily (they do, very slightly, reduce the clearance under the deck - they have to, so they can contact pavement before the nose). So if you see yourself as primarily an off-roader, you may not want to bother with them. Also if you find your riding style is to dip your nose down real close to the ground when you turn, same thing - you may not want to lose the under-deck clearance.

Also, if you live somewhere with a lot of hills, you may want to consider that - while Fangs will likely help you with a nosedive going uphill too fast (in fact, this is one of the nosedive scenarios they are specifically aimed at), on a nosedive downhill it might (might!) be better for the board to immediately stop (and you too - ouch!) than to keep on rolling downhill. (Note: I personally think this is unlikely - when skiing/snowboarding downhill, and you find you've lost control, it's almost always better to hang on just a little longer if you can, because up slightly ahead there may be easier terrain where you can regain control, or at least execute a more controlled, safer fall. But it's a concern I have heard some OneWheelers who live in hilly cities express).

Also, note - these products are not nosedive "prevention". When the nose goes down, that's physics and mechanics and cannot be stopped by these wheels.

What these wheels do is reduce friction, so that the nose touching down does not immediately stop the board and throw the rider. This buys the rider a small window in which to recover and shift their weight back, bringing the nose back up again and keep riding (best case scenario) or at the very least, bail properly rather than being unceremoniously tossed down to pavement with their full body weight on their leading shoulder/arm.

They probably won't save you in a high-speed nosedive scenario (though some people report just that). But in one of the common lower-speed scenarios they may do the trick.

Common lower-speed nosedive scenarios:

1. Accelerated too quickly, and overwhelmed the board's ability to both thrust and balance you.
    2. Went uphill too steeply/quickly.
    3. Simply overweighted the front foot carelessly due to improper stance, or heavier rider, or wind, or low battery, with same result as #1.

• Thank you for the awesome and detailed answer, Glyph! Fangs it is :) I think i will try a set.

• I got the fangs recently and love them.

The only issue with fangs is that now you can actually really potentially injure yourself (or others) if you try to get on it when its not "on". As in, it rolls. The onewheel when its not on and original (fang-less) you tip it back and forth and nothing happens.

But with the fangs, if you tip it the other way (trying to start and you shift your weight to the other side) then if it doesnt start or auto-balance, you tip over, which is then accompanied by it sliding out from underneath you.

1 out of 30 times I start the onewheel thinking its on properly, but it turns out it wasn't and it doesn't auto-balance. But I learned to avoid having a slide-out situation by 1) Rising carefully, more personal control and 2) When the front/wheel-side sets down, I simply dont put my weight too much in the front edge, which is inviting it to slide a bit.

• @sidjtd I had a similar experience when I turned the board on, but the motor didn't engage and I was on a slippery wooden floor so the board slid backwards and I fell forward.

I was worried that maybe I had a dodgy board, but then I realised that if you turn on the board BEFORE you put it down i.e. hold it vertically, hit the power button, then put it on the ground, the motor won't activate. The tyre needs to be on the ground first, then the power button switched on, and only then will the motor properly engage when it comes to balance.

Not sure if this was what you experienced but I thought I'd mention it.

• @PartyRichter - this is a common scenario - the board needs to sense that it's on level ground when it's switched on. So always set it down first, THEN turn it on.

Another common error (and I've done this one too) is that due to the location of the power switch, you may rest a finger or thumb on the front pad sensor as you are pushing the power button. If you do this the motor will also not engage, because the board "thinks" something is on the sensor (or that the sensor is malfunctioning). So always be careful not to touch the front pad while turning the board on, only the power button.

A good thing to do before you get on the board, is use your foot to give it a quick kick/scootch forward. If the motor is not on/engaged, the wheel/board will roll freely.

If it is on/enaged, it will not roll freely, and is ready to be mounted.

• @Glyph ah - good to know about the button/thumb on sensor thing. The worst part about my tumble is that I was singing the Onewheel’s praises to a friend and about to demo it to them for the first time. Heh.