No gyro rider balanced

• Try balancing on your OW with the power off to get an idea of how hard it is then add movement with a motor. Nearly impossible

• @bryphi77

Interesting idea but I agree with the folks above that this would be nearly impossible... if not just straight up impossible because you'd had to adjust your balance and lean to counteract the acceleration.

Let's assume it works, who is your target audience? Folks commuting to work don't want to worry about perfectly matching their trigger finger acceleration to their balance through a city... and one of the biggest selling points of the OW is how it doesn't require a remote and becomes second nature to use at some point in time.

• @snosurfer
    Has no one ever ridden a wheelie before? This is much easier than that...and it it would be made even easier if the weight could be brought down below the axle like some other one wheeled vehicles are.
    It may turn out to be too hard for most to master... But I dont think that is the case... I think it would be wise to at least try it. Since it would cost them not much at all to mock something up. I am sure they are looking for new stuff to sell at this point.
    In my opinion, someone who can master the balancing... (as many people already do when riding wheelies)... they may be able to get a better riding experience... than the gyro can offer.

• @bryphi77 when I make the noob mistake of getting on my OW without turning it on or while it is blinking an error code I instantly fall off as I try to bring the board level. It's not easy, i'm not saying impossible. I just saying the self balancing gyros do a pretty awesome job at something I cannot personally do.

again, not impossible as i am sure someone like Hunter Joslin can maybe do it
    Here, watch him - https://youtu.be/YBCmT4yNv64

Since it is your idea how about you do a test for us. Find a nice hill with a smooth paved path, take your onewheel to the top of that hill, turn it OFF, get on and ride it down to the bottom. Please be sure to have someone video tape the experiment. For science of course. We need proof that the OW was off the entire ride down. Eagerly waiting for your video...

• @mr-vince Dude... You do realize that a turned off one wheel is nothing like a onewheel with a responsive 2 way trigger, right?
    Also, the reason I think they should test it is because it would cost them nothing to prototype this... Minimal investment.
    I dont own one, but I have ridden them a few times... Its just a suggestion.
    But please understand that a turned off onewheel is nothing like using a motor to keep balance. To be honest I dont even understand why that compassion has been made more than once already. It should be pretty obvious that a turned off onehweel with no way to control the speed in nothing like a one wheel that can accelerate in either direction to help balance.

• @bryphi77 Dude, for one, we don't know what a trigger-operated onewheel is like, because you just made it up. 2, a onewheel that is trigger operated as you describe, would presumably act like a powered-off onewheel when the trigger is at rest or 'zero'. otherwise you'd still have a self-balancing board. 3, videos of motorcycles doing wheelies are not really related to this, I'm sorry but motorcycle wheelie balance != onewheel balance. A motorcycle has a front wheel to land on when you let go of the throttle.

Your idea in practice would be an unmitigated disaster - remote controlled throttle is far less precise, I know because I ride both an electric skateboard and onewheel and there is no eboard remote on the planet that is as confidence inspiring as the onewheel's throttle control via lean.

• @readysetawesome
    "A motorcycle has a front wheel to land on when you let go of the throttle."
    Its not equal at all... the onewheel would be 10x easier.
    Also, It can be designed to have small rollers on front and back.... but it wouldn't even be needed any more than it is now.
    If you watch that vid I posted and still dont think this is possible I do have to question your intelligence.
    So what is your stance here... You are against this being prototyped to see if it works? LOL!

• @bryphi77 think of the torque that bike has to correct falling forward or the brakes to keep from dipping all the way back. I’m sorry but I and all the other owners of OW’s know that these boards just don’t put out that kind of torque. It’s not all balance. The idea of trying to balance a motorcycle from a complete standstill would be about as easy as it is to balance a OW powered off. Adding a remote control to start it rolling in one direction is not going to make balancing on the board any easier and what happens if you actually do get up to speed and manage to balance this contraption and signal is lost to the device or it receives some sort of interference and tells the wheel to start turning the other way? We here call that a NOSEDIVE! I say no thanks but I would love to watch something like this on jackass. I would get hours of entertainment rewatching that.

• @bryphi77 said in No gyro rider balanced:

@mr-vince
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuWX1XDwsoA

LOL, as much as I loved that video, it is completely unrelated to what I asked (again for science). At this point I actually doubt that you have ever ridden a Onewheel. If you think it is possible to balance on an Onewheel with no gyros while it is rolling, then I really want to see you doing it. readysetawesome made a good point about having the trigger at zero. At zero position, the motor would be off since the gyros are off. How about get a piece of plywood, slap a wheel barrel wheel in the center of it and ride that down a hill since you dont own a onewheel. I really want to see you doing this. I think it would be a fun video to watch. Plus your success would put us all in our place.

I wish you owned a Onewheel or at least get a chance to ride one for a day. If you did, you would know that the Onewheel is one of the most intuitively controlled electric personal vehicles. Just "think" the direction you want to go and how fast and the board does it. Why? because unlike e-skates that use just the muscles in your trigger finger and the nerve impulses just in you hand to control those muscles, the Onewheel uses almost all the muscles in your body, your inner ear, your vision and almost your entire nervous system as the control input. No trigger finger can compare to that.

I dont own one, but I have ridden them a few times... Its just a suggestion.

Bry guy, do you think the majority of bicycle rider and motorcycle riders spend a lot of time on one wheel?

I understand your concept but I just don't think it's feasible. See my previous reply. The OW is remote-less and that is a huge selling point... it becomes and extension of your thought at some point. It just goes where you want it to.

Also, a lot of folks spend time in busy cities or on rough trails, you can feel when the board saves you, especially in Delirium. I understand if you want to try and experiment but don't think FM is going to change their business model or already niche fan base.

I clicked on your profile and was reading your posts from 2016 when you saying the OW could be improved by decreasing traction and allowing the board to "power slide" more easily. Again, as someone who rides a OW, loves the OW as it is, and rides off road, this is another idea 180* different from what I think people would want.

Borrow a board, buy a board or rent a board, go beat the hell out of it in its current form. Put on 200-300 miles and then come back because I think it'll completely change your perspective on what "improvements" are needed.

@mr-vince Dude... You do realize that a turned off one wheel is nothing like a onewheel with a responsive 2 way trigger, right?

Coming from a Future Motion representative, it was stated that the Onewheel CPU checks position 14,000 times per second to keep you balanced. (https://community.onewheel.com/topic/7/commonly-asked-questions-we-ve-heard-it-all). And even at that processing speed people still manage to overtake the CPU and fall off the board.

You telling me you can adjust your trigger finger 14,000 times per second to keep you from face planting?

• @bryphi77 lol dude 10x easier to land on tiny rollers or casters than on a giant rubber motorcycle tire? ok, sure. Whatever you say. Lets both agree to question each other's intelligence and just leave it at that.

• @skyman88 said in No gyro rider balanced:

Borrow a board, buy a board or rent a board, go beat the hell out of it in its current form. Put on 200-300 miles and then come back because I think it'll completely change your perspective on what "improvements" are needed.

THIS. DING DING DING DING. Nobody I know who seriously invests time in riding a onewheel believes it needs some list of necessary improvements.

• @readysetawesome

Other than concave front foodpad, water proofing, increased range and mixed requests of swappable batteries.

• @mr-vince 100% true this needs more upvotes!