Laying Down Carves

• Hello Future Motion fans!

I've had my Onewheel XR for about two weeks now and it is literally changing my life. It's the smile maker.

My background is in snowboarding and I do love laying down a nice carve. I'm running the stock Vega tire at 15PSI (154lbs rider here) and with everything stock I'm starting to lay them down. I do have to say, it took a good few miles for the Vega to feel broken in.

Current ODO reading: 73 miles of pure joy.

The stoke is there now but I am still looking for more, aren't we all? Has anyone here focused on big long committed carves and done upgrades that have improved that ability?

Aftermarket foot pads? Tire upgrades? Rider mod?

Any input and upgrade recommendations based on positive experiences are welcomed!

• @SirCarvesAlot I come from a multi decade snowboarding/skating background, and can say that while the Vega is a fine tire to get familiar with on the OW it is holding the carving feeling back. The profile of the Vega is the problem. Like trying to carve on an oil drum. I went with the FF 6.0 tire and could not be happier. Considering u come from a board sport background you will thank me.

• @freshbread Agree! I did the same on my + and will soon put a FF 6.0 on my XR.

• @freshbread said in Laying Down Carves:

@SirCarvesAlot I come from a multi decade snowboarding/skating background, and can say that while the Vega is a fine tire to get familiar with on the OW it is holding the carving feeling back. The profile of the Vega is the problem. Like trying to carve on an oil drum. I went with the FF 6.0 tire and could not be happier. Considering u come from a board sport background you will thank me.

Hello @freshbread , good to "meet" you! Thanks for the response. I can definitely see that the Vega is quite flat and getting it on it's side is some work. It's almost like riding an extra wide snowboard and trying to go from heel to toe or vice versa.

A more rounded tire profile like a motorcycle tire would likely be a lot more carvy, but I bet you need to build up stabilizer muscles before going there?

Have you tried any other tires other than the FF 6.0? I'm eyeballing the Burris at the moment.

@OneDan said in Laying Down Carves:

@freshbread Agree! I did the same on my + and will soon put a FF 6.0 on my XR.

Hi @OneDan , have you had the chance to try any other aftermarket tires other than the Vega and FF 6.0?

• @SirCarvesAlot said in Laying Down Carves:

Hi @OneDan , have you had the chance to try any other aftermarket tires other than the Vega and FF 6.0?

No, I took a chance on the Hoosier from Flight Fins because it was sized for the OneWheel and I didn't want too much curve in the tire, as you noted it would require more sideways balancing (I can still balance when stopped, though it is a bit harder). I really like the way it sticks to the road better and doesn't slip as much in wet grass, leaves, or mud. I carve almost the entire time I ride and with the treaded tire, it feels like my "snowboard" has sharpened edges. I don't think I really get over onto the edge of the tire, nor do I really want to.

• Seek out grass swales where you can plot your own custom trails providing you with dramatic surfing lines that improve over time as you carve them. Often, they can be found closeby, if you look carefully.

• @SirCarvesAlot

I find the Burris to be a little more stable than the FF Hoosier. Personal choice.

First thing I would upgrade is the tail and grip tape. It's a personal preference thing again but between the OneTail, Cobra and Kush, I went with Kush pad from The Float Life. They have a great blend of grip tape also which I put on my front pad. This is the best mod to date for me. The tail lets you carve harder, have less fatigue and really stay planted when on trails.

After that I would look at tire options. What type of riding do you do the most? The Vega does break in after a couple hundred miles, especially if you're carving a lot, but the other are still far superior for handle-ability.

Have anyone near you who rides? Facebook has a lot of local riding groups, that's how I've been able to try all the aftermarket products out there.

• A different tire will help. In the meantime, try higher air pressure in the Vega. I used 36 psi to get better carving. It is a harsher ride but was worth it for me.

• @OneDan said in Laying Down Carves:

I carve almost the entire time I ride and with the treaded tire, it feels like my "snowboard" has sharpened edges.

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the info and feedback!

@Mmhmmm said in Laying Down Carves:

Seek out grass swales where you can plot your own custom trails providing you with dramatic surfing lines that improve over time as you carve them. Often, they can be found closeby, if you look carefully.

Totally! I have a completely different outlook now. I see the urban world around me through a different lens now ;)

@skyman88 said in Laying Down Carves:

First thing I would upgrade is the tail and grip tape.
    After that I would look at tire options.
    Facebook has a lot of local riding groups.

This sounds like very sound advice. I rode my buddies XR the other day and he has the Kush Pad on with the TFL grip tape and I was sold pretty much after laying in 2-3 carves.

My only thing is, if I have full concave on the rear pad, I want it on the front one too! I did see the hack to steal a V1 sensor and put it into a Kush Pad to run dual full concave which I feel would be idea. I just don't know where the heck to find a donor sensor :(

I do tend to ride a bit of a wider stance when snowboarding, I'm 5"8 150lbs and I ride a 160+ which results in a wide stance for long committed carving. So I'm really wondering if I would feel more at home with the OneTail+ instead of the Kush Pad? Any thoughts on this?

My buddy already pre-ordered me a Burris as a welcome gift as he's the one who convinced me to spend money I didn't have on this magical device. So that'll be the tire I go for eventually, I do want to get some miles on my Vega before swapping though. I'm currently at about 70 miles, it's a bit shocking that it needs hundreds of miles to break in, the tire feels pretty good already, but I'll assume it still needs some break in.

Finally, I have two friends who own OneWheel XR's and will get to try out their setups, but I do not use any social media platforms. I boycotted the book of faces long ago.

Thanks for all the great info and advice!

@jlk250 said in Laying Down Carves:

A different tire will help. In the meantime, try higher air pressure in the Vega. I used 36 psi to get better carving. It is a harsher ride but was worth it for me.

Interesting, I did try out different PSIs for a few days, but realized I should just settle on 1PSI per 1lbs body weight until the tire is broken in since it's character is still changing.

I might play with this a bit more later unless I go straight into the Burris that's currently on pre-order.

Happy Carving Y'all!

• @SirCarvesAlot

The Vega edges will round over with a lot of carving. Still not like one of the treaded tire options but better than the flat brick it is when you bought it. When I got my XR it made me realize the difference with my used OW+ Vega and new one, it's a big difference.

Search for Fish Bones if you want to add some concave to the front foot pad. Best product out there right now.
    https://www.fishbones.life/

• @skyman88 , right on man. Thanks for the words of wisdom and for the link to fishbones.

I did see that product and seems like a good workaround to having to customize a Kushpad with the sensor surgery.

Are you currently running fishbones up front?

• @SirCarvesAlot

I am not but some of the local Boston folks have them and I know the 3 guys who created them. It really changes the feel and control of the board. Highly recommend them.

• @skyman88 right on.

I did another 9 mile ride today and learned that carving is all about keeping the front foot flat on the front, then on the rear, you lift your heel to do your toe side carve, then lay the heel back down to do your heel side carve. You basically just alternate the heel lift and heel drop on the rear foot and all the sudden BAM! You're carving.

Have you experienced what I'm trying to describe? Any other pointers along these lines?

• @SirCarvesAlot both my front and rear foot slightly raise up off each side while I carve. I haven’t hadn’t any issues that way.

• @tomfoolery said in Laying Down Carves:

@SirCarvesAlot both my front and rear foot slightly raise up off each side while I carve. I haven’t hadn’t any issues that way.

Does this result in notifications via the app about your foot being partially off the sensor? I think I've run into this before. Or is there a speed above which it doesn't care anymore about sensor engagement?

• @SirCarvesAlot I’ve never gotten a message about my foot not being on the sensor pad for more than 5 seconds while riding faster than 5 mph.

• @tomfoolery check out a new post I made in the support forum:

Apparently, when I ride long and fast toe side carves, I raise both my heels.

• @SirCarvesAlot ahhh. Yes. Flight fins help.