New to Onewheel... broken ankle cuppla hours later. Woops!

• Been riding an electric longboard for a while and stumbled across the Onewheel while doing online research about e-vehicles

Long story short I bought a brand new Onewheel XR which arrived Thursday. LOL I thought Yay a nice Easter present.

Fully charged the OW while reading the manual, fitting the shred lights to my Meepo NLS, and putting ALL my safety gear on.

Connected the app, named my OW “Wunzy”, set it to mission mode and went back n forth on my veranda while holding the rail to balance.
    Practiced a ton of heal lift dismounts which very quickly became second nature. Also taught myself to bail with both feet..all good so far.

Let go of the veranda rail slowly moving back and forth under my own balance. No problems with that once I relaxed, and lotsa small slow figure 8’s followed.
    All felt good and second nature.

Time to venture off the veranda onto the smooth flat grass as I was 100% sure I was likely to have a fall and wanted it to be away from asphalt or concrete. I’m 57 so I don’t bounce as well as when I was younger lol.

Long story short I did quite well for a Onewheel newb .... up to the point when I was at a dead stop, getting ready to dismount and encountered a small wobble so decided to bail with both feet.

Woops, landed on the soft ground a little crooked and ended up dislocating and clean breaking both fibula and tibia bones in my left ankle.

So here I am in hospital all plastered up and out of action for at least 6 weeks.

So sad I won’t be able to get back on “Wunzy” again for such a long time...

In the short hour or two of riding I had already fallen in love with the Onewheel.

Please send me some hope for a speedy ankle mend so I can get back out Floating ASAP

Thank you Future Motion for creating this magic floaty adventure device. I can hardly wait to continue my odyssey into the future ...

Cheers all :)

• @iBloke sorry to hear about the soft ground! Heal up so you can float again.

I was waiting for the fell off at high speed or one of the more frequent new people stories, this one is unique.

How do (did) you like the OW versus an electric long board?

• @skyman88 said in New to Onewheel... broken ankle cuppla hours later. Woops!:

@iBloke
    How do (did) you like the OW versus an electric long board?

Absolutely fell in love with OW after the first few minutes! Not even worth comparing to my long board which I mainly use to get around my small coastal town on.
    Can’t take it on the adventures I have planned for my OW though. Down on the beach, along the walking tracks that are teaming with kangaroos and other Aussie wild life...

• @iBloke such a bummer dude! I'm so sorry about the injury. I'll share a little story with you...

About 12 years ago I started snowboarding and immediately realized I had just found my passion. Unfortunately, I caught edge hard and fell slapper style. I knew something wasn't right after the spill, but kept it quiet and pushed through a few more weekends of riding.

The pain eventually became intolerable so I got it checked out. I couldn't raise my arm more than a few inches. Turned out I needed repair of the labrum, the tear was pretty gnarly and the surgery put me out of every activity for months. Still to this day, over a decade later, I still need physical therapy to maintain it healthy-ish.

But you know what? I found my passion and I've been riding ever since.

I'm glad you found the OW, that it sparked your interest and am really hopeful that you'll bounce back and get back on one. Just don't let fear control you once your back on.

Heel well my friend and ride on.

• @iBloke

I've always heard the comparison as follows:
    Boosted is the point A to B on pavement commuting vehicle of choice. Less thought required, faster, can't nose dive.
    OW is the fun machine. Slower but you enjoy the ride more than the destination.

• @SirCarvesAlot thanks so much for your words of encouragement.
    I’m lying here in a hospital bed full of tubes and all I can think about is getting back to riding “Wunzy” lol.

I’ve even been researching flat soled high ankle support boots for when I can get back to floating again.
    My first brief 2 hour encounter with OW has got me hooked for life!
    Cheers :)

• @skyman88 said in New to Onewheel... broken ankle cuppla hours later. Woops!:

@iBloke

I've always heard the comparison as follows:
    Boosted is the point A to B on pavement commuting vehicle of choice. Less thought required, faster, can't nose dive.
    OW is the fun machine. Slower but you enjoy the ride more than the destination.

I think I agree 100% with you on that 😊

• @iBloke No worries man. I know how you feel right now. Yes, starting off with some additional ankle support is important.

I think you'll want to spend some time in physical therapy before getting back on though. Make sure your ankles are at least as strong as the average person, but in reality, you'll need them to be even stronger than that for OW action.

So start with support but slowly reduce it over time so you can build up your body to handle the sport. I'm sure you'll find the way to get back on correctly.

Stay strong my brotha.