Nose Dive Recovery Training?

• Anyone catch the opening 60 seconds on this vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J1ehfth7jw

The rider is demonstrating nose dive recovery reflex training on a sidewalk, at what I believe he indicates is 20 mph.

Has anyone tried this?

I'm still on grass-only until I build more experience, but am considering my next list of skill building exercises for when I graduate to pavement.

• @Kielanders "The rider is demonstrating nose dive recovery reflex training on a sidewalk, at what I believe he indicates is 20 mph." is not a proper reflection of why he (Jeff McCosker) made this video. He demonstrates that he doesn´t need Fangs to recover from a situation where the nose is hitting the ground at (high) speed.

The guy is one of the best riders around and I would advise people not to "try" or "practice" this i.e. reach 20 mph and then push the nose into the ground. Your ability to survive this comes from having intuitive board control.

• @ooww I agree.....I am a relatively new rider and I went down after a nosedive at 15mph. Broke a couple ribs and bruises. I have become cautious of my speed and my battery level. I also have fangs on mine now as well. I hope to avoid a nosedive in the future but from now on I ride at a lower speed.

• If you lean to go forward and stand there like a passenger while the OW transports you, you won't recover from a nosedive (and maybe not feel pushback). If you keep centered over the wheel, and shift your weight only as much as needed to accelerate, and actively maintain your balance like you are surfing or snowboarding, there is a better chance that you will feel when something goes wrong and react fast enough to stay on the board.

• @ooww

Thanks for the reply.

Were I to try this, I certainly wouldn't crank the speed to 20 mph to learn. But I also doubt that he started experimenting with this at 20 mph either, regardless his skill.

Thanks again for the info and thoughts.

• @Kielanders If I were going to practice nosedives I would do it in Sequoia or Cruz. The reason rule number one of the 5 rules to avoid nose dive, is "Ride in Mission" because the speed limit is more in line with the max capability of the board. Sequoia and Cruz have electronically set limits. Its pretty easy to push beyond 10 miles per hour and then...boom nose dive. Plus push back comes much earlier.

Don't ride in Sequoia, but if you want to practice feeling push back and getting a lower speed nosedive to practice recovering from, those "beginner" modes are where it's at.

• @Motoproponent

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm probably going to tool around on the softball field for a few more months before trying anything on payment. I've taken some pretty hard hits on soft grass, and can't imagine where I'd be right now if those were on pavement.

I tinker a bit in the shop, and have a few ideas concerning dive prevention that I feel fangs don't completely address (not insulting the product at all) - so may experiment with some of that first.

Still, watched & read 6 months of vids and articles before I bought my XR a week ago, never saw anyone demonstrate skills to do unassisted dive recovery until the other day.

Just trying to get in front of this issue to do everything I can to not get knocked out of the game . . . especially at my age. First toy I've owned in 40 years that got me excited to get out of bed.

• I would say it's way better to go to a judo class or just down to the grass and practice falling with a roll. My martial art training 20 years back really helped me a year ago. Had problems with my shoulder for a few months but good now.
    I'm 47 by the way 😎

• @Khayman

I've thought about using our mattress in the driveway. Since it's for safety, I'm sure the wife will be okay with it, so I won't even bother to ask.

:o)

• @Kielanders haha im sure she is thrilled 😏
    Im soon to be 47 btw