Hi-Tops For Foot Cramping?

• Vans UltraRange helped me. They offer a lot of support and are VERY comfortable. I also have a pair of Vans with Ortholite inserts, which helped for me, too. I found that skate shoes with no arch support caused me to have foot fatigue.

• @AgentWomack dude Vans all the way. The new Tony Trujillo’s Pro (a bit spendy) and I haven’t gotten that foot cramp or anything anymore.
    23C73381-3AD3-43D0-BB74-F3C74B8981C5.jpeg

• these days if you aint payin near 100 bucks your shoes are crap

• @b0ardski But my shoes only cost $35! Wait, my feet hurt... F...

• Maybe it's time we get a shoe manufacturer to make something designed just for floating, after all it's not skating, hiking, or running it's a float life and needs a float shoe. Yo, DC, globe, etnes, you got a market over here, get on it!

• @b0ardski damn straight!!

• Update:

I'm now 10 days into wearing the lightweight hi-top Timberland's . . . no more foot fatigue whatsoever, I'm riding longer and better. I just have a bit of calf fatigue after 12 to 15 miles, which I assume is just needing to continue rebuilding the muscles - but no foot cramping.

Just one guy's opinion, but if board shoes ain't working, find something that does, it may not be you, it may be your shoes.

• @Kielanders calf and hammy stretches are are something I notice when I forget to do them

• So I’m def feeling the need for hi tops now! lol I went ahead and ordered these Vans 112 Mid Pro’s today. Review’s look promising too.

• @a1katie

Let us know how they do when you get them. I only used the Timberland's because the were laying around. I've been debating on getting an old skool pair of Converse.

• @Kielanders Will do! I’ve been debating classic chucks and was curious if anyone rides in those as well?

• My favorite pair of riding shoes is my Chuck II hi-tops. More support than the classic and looks just the same!

• Got my 112 Mid Pro’s last night. I haven’t ridden in them yet, but my first instinct is that these are the Onewheel shoe! The ultra cush sole feels absolutely incredible; it’s real thick and bouncy through the heel and arch but not at all past the ball of your foot. I imagine this will really ease foot fatigue while still maintaining toe grip. The mid hight gives good ankle support and protection without being too restrictive.

I’m wearing these babies to work today to “break them in a bit,” can’t wait to take them for a spin later tonight. Aesthetically speaking I personally prefer the Ty Morrow biege/black colorway but Dudes may want to note, the black leather does have some slight shine.

• @a1katie said in Hi-Tops For Foot Cramping?:

can’t wait to take them for a spin later tonight.

Selfie Stick & Crash Helmet, please - it's not a proper shoe review unless we see some air time.

:o)

• I'm definitely hearing flat soled shoes with as little cushioning as possible is best for feel and responsiveness... I just purchased a new pair of Van's and I'm happy but if you wanted high tops maybe some Chuck Taylor Converse high tops might be the an option for you and still maintain a flat sole..?
    I dunno

• @OJsakila that’s why the sole in the Vans I described above are so perfect! They’re like the mullet of skate shoes; business up front / pure comfort in the back!

• Okay nobody laugh at me!!!!! (Also I personally refuse to purchase a selfie stick, so the view is handheld and a little rough)

Off Road testing

Pavement Surfing

New Shoes, New Board

• @a_onekatie So, I've been riding for a couple of years now, a + and an XR, combined miles around 2400, and I tried some Nike SB board shoes about a year ago and had a really bad experience. I normally wear Nike Air Max shoes and the SBs hurt after 5 mins on the board. I swapped in some comfort insoles, but it didn't help. I used them for a couple of weeks thinking over time they would improve, but they didn't. Walking in them was fine, however. While my Nike Air Maxes would cause cramping after 20 mins or so, I found that by carving more, bending my legs more, and rolling my feet side to side occasionally, the cramping could be avoided.

So, looking for the Van's 112 Mid Pros in my size and I could only find the same color @a_onekatie had, which wouldn't suit me, until I found these, like a black with dark maroon stripes. They even had 10% off your first order, so got them pretty cheap.

Here's hoping the mid tops along with the claimed comfort insoles will work with my, obviously, not flat feet!

• @OneDan Nice! Hope they work out for you too!

said in Hi-Tops For Foot Cramping?:

While my Nike Air Maxes would cause cramping after 20 mins or so, I found that by carving more, bending my legs more, and rolling my feet side to side occasionally, the cramping could be avoided.

Yeah, I am definitely finding that I experience the most discomfort when I'm trying to maintain control of the board vs. just going with the flow of things. I'm sure a big part of it is just the learning curve and also that I need to build up most of those muscles.

• @a_onekatie said in Hi-Tops For Foot Cramping?:

and also that I need to build up most of those muscles

This for sure. I was trying to ride backwards the other day (I've never been able to on any type of board) for a serious 30 minute session along a fence for support. I felt like I'd never ridden a board in my life, much less a OneWheel (and I do over 12 miles a day on my XR). I had planned to do that, then take off for a normal ride, but my feet/ankles/calves were really sore afterwards. Just shows that there are different muscles in the back and front feet that need to be built up. I am determined this time to learn to ride backwards, but I'm going to set up my + with lower tire pressure and mission mode for those practice sessions and keep my XR set up for my normal fun rides.

Will post back once I get the new shoes and have a chance try them out on a few rides.