Previous board sports are a positive and negative IMO

• This is all my opinion after trying out the Onewheel for the first time ever yesterday. I bought a relatively new OW V1, (22 miles), off ebay this week and took it out yesterday. Like others, I had experience with board sports in the past. I started out mounting/dismounting the Onewheel as advertised. Once I felt comfortable with that I went into my yard to try my hand at actually going. I was wondering about this and found that my balance from previous board sports while rusty did in fact assist with riding the OW. Within 15 minutes of starting in the yard I was doing slow figure 8's.

While I was picking up riding the Onewheel quickly, I was having some difficulties with the whole lean to go lean to stop dealio. (dealio = my technical term). This is where part of my previous board sport experience was a detriment. Let me explain. Like many others, when I learned to ride a skateboard, surf or snowboard, part of the process was learning the balance of that sport. Leaning just naturally became part of the balancing process. The OW as you know is a different board sport. Leaning is a lesser part of the balancing process and more of a speed control. This is where my old board habits didn't help. I was still using leaning to balance when the board balances itself. Once I let the board balance and do what it was designed to do, things got much easier. I wasn't on the ground as much. The new genre of self balancing products are very tech advanced and work exactly as advertised if you let them. The less easy part is getting past the old habits learned from the non self balancing products.

I think someone with no experience on any board will pick up the OW pretty quick in my opinion. There will be no habits to unlearn or overcome. They won't separate leaning from balance and just learn everything that's needed for the OW from the first second they step on it.

I feel comfortable in my yard now and will try the street today. I have to believe that the yard is enhancing my off road riding skills in a small way as it's not that smooth so I have to compensate for dips and the resistance of the grass as compared to street. The plus is that it's much more forgiving when I fall. I also had the pleasure of experiencing my first nosedive. I was riding thru the yard and hit a dip in the yard and went sailing. Wrist guards are the cat's meow, just sayin. : )

• @Senior-Coffee I had both skateboard and snowboard experience before jumping on the OW 2 years ago (I'm turning 61 this year). I do agree that the skills for left/right balance are transferable, but the forward/backward are new. I did pretty much hop right on (on the sidewalk) and took off, but eventually realized that leaning into the board was not only not needed, but quite dangerous (this was before all of the videos and posts with helpful hints and techniques). If I look at my riding style now (after some 2300 miles), my body stays centered and upright while my legs tilt they board, very little front/back leaning involved. This actually makes for an even MORE "floaty" feel, as you pretty much ride along, smooth as silk, with your legs controlling the flow and absorbing almost all of the terrain.

As for total board newbies, I think people with good balance from other sports catch on quickly, like you said. However, others that have trouble on other balancing endeavors will fail just as miserably, or worse, on the OW. :)

I'm a pavement rider, very little off road, so others may ride differently in that case, but this is truly the most fun toy I've ever owned!

Enjoy the float!

• I see no negatives in previously developed skills.
    It's certainly different than being locked into a snowboard but still uses all the same muscle groups. it's not so much "unlearning" as it is tweaking pre-existing muscle memory.
    way easier to adjust a skill set than to create one from scratch, my wife has been a ski and board instructor for 20yrs, I know this story. ANY movement skills from martial arts to horseback riding can be redirected.

• @OneDan
    tru dat dynamic balance skills are a must, and some will struggle with that. I recommend heavy metal hair tossing to wake up inner ear sensetivity, preferably live.

• So I've been riding around for two days in my yard. I've gotten much more used to the board and have been doing figure 8's. Today I was able to do them continuously without having to stop because of falling. I was also able to increase my speed a little. I will stay on the grass for another day or two then I'll go onto the pavement for a longer trip. I have to say starting on grass is the way to go. The grass takes a lot more work as far as balance, leaning and compensation for the uneven ground and rough patches. It's also much more forgiving when I fall. I've spent only a small amount of time on my driveway and man is that a lot easier. A couple more days of figure 8's, then onto the pavement I go. Man this is fun.