Experience from a new rider this weekend

• Hello all, received my first ever Onewheel on Friday 12 July. A V1 with 22 miles on the clock. After some pre-checks, charge and pump up the tire, I proceeded to the yard to give it a go. Oh yeah, wore helmet, wrist guards, elbow and knee pads.

Day 1, Friday July 12: Practiced mounting/dismounting. Easy-ish since I had watched a bunch of videos on it, will take some work though to get the right feel. Started going in straight lines from one end of my yard to the other. Wobbly but able to go straight. Did this at least 10 times. Slowly worked into small turns and ended up doing figure 8's after approx an hour. Did these until legs started burning from using muscles I hadn't used well, ever since I never rode a Onewheel. Oh yeah, bit the grass a lot.

Day 2, Saturday July 12: Continued doing figure 8's stopping to practice mounting/dismounting when the legs got a little wiped. Doing well, and only bit the grass 3 or 4 times. Proceeded across the driveway to the front. More hills and got to experience my first nosedive. Glad to get that first one out of the way lol. Found out later that I needed to switch from Extreme to Elevated mode for better hill climbing ability. Felt much more comfortable with the figure 8's by the end of the day.

Day 3, Sunday July 13: Went out and did an hour of figure 8's, more mount/dismount and switching between Extreme and Elevated to see what works best in the grass. Took a couple hour break and then went to local high school to try street riding on their track for the first time ever. OMG street riding is so much easier than grass. I did approx. 7 laps at the school track. Bunches of carving left and right and yes more figure 8's. Stopped when charge got to 10%. It was very hot so went home to finish off charge. I wanted to feel what pushback was like with a dead battery. Got back home, only two figure 8's and finally with a low battery I felt my first pushback. I immediately stopped. I can see where a person could miss noticing it if they weren't paying attention. My description of my pushback is like this. I was riding very slowly in the front yard and it felt like someone gently stepped on the back of my board causing the front to lift up a little. It was very slight and only a little noticeable but enough to make me look down and say "wtf, oh wait, I know what that is".

Here's my observations. Someone suggested starting on grass and imo that is the best information a new rider could have. The grass improved my skill level enough that when I finally got to some street riding it was relatively easy. After riding on both I can tell you that the grass is so much harder to navigate and while it was difficult at first, it paid off in the end. It takes a lot more effort to stay upright on the board not to mention just plowing thru the grass is a little bit of a chore. My yard has very mild hills, thick grass and bumps. By day 2 I was pretty proficient at the figure 8's in the grass. The grass work assisted greatly when I finally got the the street riding. Take my advice, spend a couple days on the grass before going to the street. I put 10 miles on the board between Friday and Sunday. Not too impressive until you consider that almost 8 miles of it was on a tiny patch of the yard on the side of the house.

I can see where this can become very addictive. I already know that 6 miles won't be enuf so I ordered the two-x battery kit. Anyway, thank you everyone for your info. I scanned this forum for a week before I ever received my board. I'm a 55 year old rider and don't want to break a hip as my signature says so I take it very easy and wear all of my gear. Thank you FM for this awesome experience.

• I did my 1st 50 miles on grass - I saw the wipeout vids before I rode.

Grass IS harder, but it's softer - you're going to take a dive, we all do, it's getting back-up that counts.

What's bothered me most is reading the stories of guys that took their first hits on pavement, and have needed to take themselves out of the game.

I took some hard hits in the grass (and a trip to the doc & chiropractor) so I knew what to expect on pavement, and knew what gear to get.

Take it slow like you're doing, and gear the fu#k-up when you go to pavement - stay healthy so you can get through the learning curve and ride.

I'll be 54 in a couple of weeks, 300 miles-in, and waking up at 4 AM so I can go-out for 10 miles and have the streets to myself.

For streets, get Fangs or SynergyWiz wheels, motorcycle knee/shin elbow/forearm protection, a full face mountain bike hemet, wrist protection, and bicycle hip & butt pad shorts.

Who cares what you may look like with all the gear (I don't), stay healthy so you can ride!

If/When you get Fangs, practice nose-taps 5 or 10 times, EVERY TIME, before you go-out for a ride - it appears to have changed my body reflex from 'flailing & bailing & eating it' on a bad stretch, to 'burying the tail' and riding it out fishtail style.

• @Kielanders said in Experience from a new rider this weekend:

I did my 1st 50 miles on grass. I saw the vids before I rode. Grass IS harder, but it's softer. You're going to take a dive, we all do, it's getting back-up that counts.

What's bothered me most is reading the stories of guys that took their first hits on pavement, and have needed to take themselves out of the game.

I took some hard hits in the grass (and a trip to the doc & chiropractor) so I knew what to expect on pavement, and knew what gear to get.

Take it slow like you're doing, and gear the fu#k-up when you go to pavement - stay healthy so you can get through the learning curve and ride.

I'll be 54 in a couple of weeks, 300 miles-in, and waking up at 4 AM so I can go-out for 10 miles and have the streets to myself.

For streets, get Fangs or SynergyWiz wheels, motorcycle knee & shin protection, a full face mountain bike hemet, wrist protection, and bicycle hip & butt pad shorts.

If/When you get Fangs, practice nose-taps a 5 or 10 times, EVERY TIME, before you go-out for a ride.

Who cares what you may look like with all the gear (I don't), stay healthy so you can ride!

I agree 100% and thanks for the info. Luckily I've been into motorcycles for a long time and live up to ATGATT. (All The Gear All The Time). I have a set of kevlar lined jeans with hip and knee pads built in that I use for riding. Yes the grass definitely made a huge difference for me. The difficulty in the grass makes it a little easier on the street. Took many dives but it's all good and was expected. Already charged up the board so I can ride after work tomorrow.

• @Senior-Coffee

Stay Awesome Dude!

When the time comes, I'll send you the address of the rehab center I'm in . . . . come visit . . . bring beer.

:o)

• @Senior-Coffee Excellent post, thank you for sharing. Keep safe.

• @Kielanders Savage!
    If it wasn't dangerous, and people weren't hurting themselves, it would not be as much fun...

• @DreamTour

Yeah, but getting injured and not being able to ride sucks big time.

Injured my back bad on grass the first few days, getting spun on a dismount and pile-driving my ass into the ground.

I'm in good shape, did a lot of board riding when young, had full pads & helmet, read and watched ALL the OW horror stories, was consciously NOT pushing it when learning, and STILL got f#cked eating it hard by not having padded shorts.

It took me out for 3 weeks until my chiropractor got me fixed-up and I was up to getting back-on - but by then, I was scared of the board . . . that wasn't good. It took about 50 more miles to lose the fear and get some confidence back.

I thought I was going to be another OW tragedy and have to sell it with 20 miles.

Man, I hate those stories, which is why I'm such a broken record about the safety crap.

This is the first thing that's made me excited to get out of bed in decades.

• @Kielanders So true... Not sure padded shorts would have helped with a compressed spine though. I'm considering full motorcycle gear if I'm going to push the limit, but I know I could still break a limb.
    A year ago I started surfing again, just to have something to get excited about. Even though I'm getting old, and am frequently hurting myself, I'd rather be hospitalized from an injury than from losing my f*ing mind.

• Monday July 15th: Went back out on the V1. Practiced mount/dismount in the yard for a bit then went out on the street. Didn't bother going down to the local high school running track this time, took it straight out into the neighborhood. Still glad I spent all the time in the grass because it makes the street easier. Getting used to the board now and will venture farther out and longer trips. So many days in a row are taking the toll on my feet and legs. I'll get a break this week since I'm going out of town for work. I'm already wanting to go farther so it'll be good when the two-x kit gets here. Anyhoo, hope peeps are enjoying their new pints. Mine isn't due to be here for another month. Have a great day.

Senior Coffee out for now.

• @Mark-Vlogs Did you order another Pint or buy an XR?

• @Senior-Coffee That grass before pavement is always my recommendation. Exactly like you said, get good on some uneven terrain and everything else will feel easier. Welcome to the Float Life.

• @skyman88 Hi, I’ve preordered another Pint using a local company, they are hoping to get them in August. Keeping fingers firmly crossed