Insurance?

• I'm curious if anyone has tried insuring your board, and if so how'd you go about it?

• @a1katie

I contacted an insurer that specializes in bicycles, including electric bikes. They don't do e-boards and don't know anyone who does.

I'm about to contact our insurance agent to see if they can find something.

Hell, I once thought about getting a hot dog cart as part time fun during the summer tourist season - believe it or not, there is a speciality insurance company for hot dog carts.

Somebody has to do e-rides.

• What type of insurance are you trying to get?

You should be able to buy insurance for theft or add it to your home insurance, but if you mean insurance if you hit someone of for you to use it on a public highway then I don’t think you’ll find this, these are illegal in most countries to use unless it’s on private property.

Hopefully the law will change that allows use of electric vehicles that fall out of the ‘normal’ scope.

• @Kielanders Interesting info, thanks! I'll probably just add it to my homeowners plan I'm thinking.

@Mark-Vlogs lol, I was thinking anti-theft/damage insurance. TBH, I'm a little nervous some a-hole might try to just push me off my board and jack it. Don't know if anyone has ever had any experiences like this?

• @a1katie I've heard of people grabbing one that's "parked" and walking or riding away with it. The worst I've heard is when someone asks to "try it" and they simply ride away! For that reason, I don't let strangers ride my board. If I ever do let someone, I'll ask to hold their wallet while they do.

• @a1katie @Mark-Vlogs @OneDan

With the value of the board, just about any state would classify it as Grand Theft, which is a felony.

I really wish OW would incorporate a firmware update that has the board report itself to the mothership if the registered owner reports it stolen - similar to 'Find My Mac'.

These things are an investment.

I know our homeowners policy will cover it if stolen from the house, but there's a good chunk that would fall under the deductible.

What I'm unsure about is if somebody jacks it when I'm out. But, if I'm not on it, I'm carrying it - so that helps to some extent.

Katie has a good point about someone just decking a smaller person and taking it.

Depending on if they're armed or not, I'd be tempted to try and run them down, betting on a wipeout trying to get away - depends on how proficient they are I suppose.

• @Kielanders said in Insurance?:

@a1katie @Mark-Vlogs @OneDan

I really wish OW would incorporate a firmware update that has the board report itself to the mothership if the registered owner reports it stolen - similar to 'Find My Mac'.

OMG yes! I'm actually surprised this doesn't exist already! How do we bring this to the makers' attention now?

All good points you make. This is going to take a bit of investigation I think.

• Once again I think a "lock" feature in the app would really come in handy at least for piece of mind. But I definitely like the self reporting idea too!

• @phukendrew said in Insurance?:

Once again I think a "lock" feature in the app would really come in handy at least for piece of mind. But I definitely like the self reporting idea too!

this is something i've been worrying a bit about, too! the worry about theft is real. it would be nice to have a way to kill the motor remotely... not BRICK it, but just keep it powered off via the app.

• @Franko it should be an easy software program, open the app and "lock" it where you have to unlock it from YOUR phone, or when riding its synced and if it gets out of range board dies. Like a leash on your surfboard.

• Anybody thought about using Tile on your Onewheel?

• @a1katie saw on another thread some people are putting them inside the controller cover on the xr. Dont know where it would go on the pint yet.

• @phukendrew said in Insurance?:

@a1katie saw on another thread some people are putting them inside the controller cover on the xr. Dont know where it would go on the pint yet.

Hmmmm... maybe hide it under a fender?

• @a1katie if the back pad is made like the xr, just have a cabinet shop router out a spot in the underside then just hold the tile in place with a strip of packing tape and screw it back to the board. Would take a shop just a few min and it would never come loose when rididng.

• @a1katie I know State Farm does what is called a "Personal Article Policy" which you can add random stuff like cameras and computers to. You could check with them or see if other companies have something similar.

• @a1katie you can add it to your homeowner insurance/ renters insurance

• i was wondering if you could switch between carving modes on your phone and cause an unprepared thief to fall -- suddenly going from Redwood to one of the more loose and responsive modes on the Pint might do it.

• @Franko I don't have my Pint yet but don't you have to be within a certain distance for your phone to connect to the board?

• @ZeroVoice
    yeah, for sure. not sure what the distance is, but i was just wondering. : )

• @Franko That would be hilarious though. lol