Pint reviews???

• Come on, tell us what you think!!!

How does it compare to the XR? Is it squirrely? How does it carve at high speed?

Am I going to be able to wait for Christmas???

• @DreamTour bro just get on YouTube lol

• @TyDie Yeah... As if I haven't already been checking out the tubes...

Seriously though, I just want to read some reviews in the forum.

• @Franko wrote up a good one somewhere on these forums. I can’t seem to find it now tho.

I’ll try to pull all my thoughts together and post something a little later. This is the only Onewheel I’ve ever ridden so I won’t be able to give a comparison to the other models just FYI.

• Okay Review from a total Noob:

I've had my pint for 3 days now and put a mile on it each day. So far I've only ridden it "off road" on dirt, grass/weeds, gravel or brick. Dirt is by FAR my favorite of those options. Last night I reached my top speed of 7 MPH. I also had my first real wipeout. I think both these things are good tho, as they indicate I'm starting to feel more confident.

Is the board Squirrely? Yes, surprisingly so! I really was not prepared for the extreme roundness of the wheel and learning to maintain my toe/heel balance has been a much steeper learning curve than maintaining my front/back foot balance. This is coming into play in both my turning and stopping as well. I'm thinking I may want to start messing around with my shaping a bit accordingly.

Coming from a Snowboarding background, the "foot freedom" really keeps astonishing me. My wipeout happened when riding over a lot of debris and the board started bouncing me around until I just couldn't manage to hang on any longer. I seem to make constant minor adjustments that I really wasn't expecting to be able to do lol. Also, the principals of turning are very different. Instead of straightening out my back leg and leaning my whole body into a turn, on the Pint it's really only about that toe/heel balance of your front foot. I'm nailing the broader, sweeping turns now but find that on tighter/faster turns, my body really wants to dig in and the board often ends up throwing me off instead. Same thing when riding faster and trying to come to a sudden stop. I'm sure I just need more practice with this tho. Interestingly, on a snowboard I've always favored my Heel side, but on the Pint I'm definitely more comfortable on my Toe side (although I bet this might change if riding on a steep decline). One thing that's really cool about the wheel is, even though it's really round, there is still sort of a "lip" to it's curve and you can really feel when you've managed to lock onto it.

How do you more experienced riders pull off those tighter/faster turns? Any pointers would be much appreciated! I totally have "grip tape hand" hand right now from constantly picking up my board and reorienting her.

A note about the SimpleStop feature: I'm really debating turning this off. While I get it's purpose and usefulness, I think it might be causing some unnecessary issues right now while I'm still learning. When I'm feeling a little overzealous and decide to "jump right back on my board," I have a tendency to over extend my weight distribution and immediately nose dive instead of bringing the board up to balance. My instinct then is to stay put and bring the board to balance in the opposite direction by leaning on my back foot, which then triggers the simple stop and I end up tail diving instead and causing the wheel to spin out (wheel slip?).

As mentioned above, I love this baby off road. If you were worried the Pint is more of an asphalt surfer, fret not. It takes every single rock, divit, small drop off, branch or twig like a total champ and still feels super cush. I bought mine because I needed a small and portable commuter, but now that I have it I am realizing I'll probably use it off road just as often (if not more). I think this weekend I'll take her down to my actual road to test range and the feel on pavement; I live on one of the best motorcycle drives in Northern Cali, so should be fun!

Other than all of that, I can say that I am thoroughly addicted. I find myself absolutely rushing to get home every night to get on my board before it gets too dark. Riding at twilight is actually really awesome, that's when the light display really catches my eye.

• @a1katie said in Pint reviews???:

Is the board Squirrely? Yes, surprisingly so!

Check your tire pressure . . . go for 10% of your weight . . . makes for a much smoother ride. From the factory they are often shipped at 20 psi.

@a1katie said in Pint reviews???:

Interestingly, on a snowboard I've always favored my Heel side, but on the Pint I'm definitely more comfortable on my Toe side

I'm the same way coming from snowboarding, but to me, I think it's because heel side I'm going into a blind turn and that freaks me out a bit.

I totally have "grip tape hand" hand right now from constantly picking up my board and reorienting her.

After several times of this happening to me, I totally pick up my boards UNDER the decks, LOL.

I live on one of the best motorcycle roads in Northern Cali

I'm from NorCal and I ride a motorcycle, would that be 49? :D

• @OneDan said in Pint reviews???:

Is the board Squirrely? Yes, surprisingly so!

Check your tire pressure . . . go for 10% of your weight . . . makes for a much smoother ride. From the factory they are often shipped at 20 psi.

G2K! I'm pretty small so probably am lighter than the "average" assumed rider so I'll look into this first. Honestly, I haven't even checked my PSI yet, and I know I need to.

Interestingly, on a snowboard I've always favored my Heel side, but on the Pint I'm definitely more comfortable on my Toe side

I'm the same way coming from snowboarding, but to me, I think it's because heel side I'm going into a blind turn and that freaks me out a bit.

Yeah, for sure. I'm guessing I need to work on rotating my body more.

I totally have "grip tape hand" hand right now from constantly picking up my board and reorienting her.

After several times of this happening to me, I totally pick up my boards UNDER the decks, LOL.

I live on one of the best motorcycle roads in Northern Cali

I'm from NorCal and I ride a motorcycle, would that be 49? :D

Don't I wish! My route is smaller and goes from Livermore to San Jose through the East Bay hills & Mt. Hamilton.

• AWESOME!!! I REALLY want one now... How long can I wait? That is the real question.

Thoughts on the heel/toe carve- it makes perfect sense to me. You can control the pressure/angle on your toe edge easier than your heel. Having your eyes on where you are going also helps.

• @DreamTour said in Pint reviews???:

Thoughts on the heel/toe carve- it makes perfect sense to me. You can control the pressure/angle on your toe edge easier than your heel. Having your eyes on where you are going also helps.

And thinking about it a little more, going downhill on a snowboard, you are looking forward (downhill) on heel edge and backwards (blind) on toe edge.

• @OneDan At the beginning or end of the turn?

Downhill, starting a heel carve, you are starting your turn facing the opposite way to are going to turn. As the turn is completed you face downhill and can initiate a toe edge carve looking downhill.

• @DreamTour True, I guess it depends how fast you're going and how wide the turns are.

• @a1katie
    great writeup! funny -- i ride regular on a snowboard, and i totally favor my heel side (i'm just stronger there), and i'm noticing that i do the same on the Pint. i need to practice stopping and turning a ton more, too. large curves are no real issue, but tight ones are definitely challenging for me, especially toe-side. it really sounds like you and i are about the same level of experience, so it's fun to compare. thanks for writing up your thoughts!

• Some updates:

Last night I dropped the pressure down to 12 psi and switched to the Elevate ride mode. These two things helped me out a ton! I was able to get up to 12 MPH.

Then today I rode in the city on asphalt for the first time! Had to leave my car at the auto shop and then rode The Windbreaker 2 miles over to the rental car agency. Have to say, after doing so much trail riding, pavement was a little boring. But man it feels like absolute butter! I rode mostly in the bike lane but took to the sidewalk a bit as well and the pavement seams and bumps there were NBD at all.

After riding 2 miles on a 78% charge, I’m now down to 57% battery and the app says I still have 6 miles to go on range.

• @a1katie

I found an old thread on foot placement that might interest you:

https://community.onewheel.com/topic/3868/favorite-foot-position-photos/5

It has a photo with a foot placement that is working for me in doing stable tight turns, and with very stable carving in my comfort zone of around 14 to 16 mph.

1471460989930-onewheel-feet-placement.jpg

What is making the real difference for me is having my rear heel position at around an 20 or 30 degree angle toward the rear of the board, and having the toes toward the wheel tucked just under the edge of my flight fin.

I do tend to keep my front foot more parallel to the wheel and tucked under my front fin, not the position shown in the photo.

The position puts a little stress on my knee (which I have to be careful of), but is allowing for very stable carving both on an off pavement with no wobble when making the turn into and out of the carve.

• @Kielanders Ooh interesting, thanks for sharing! My instinct has been to keep both my feet closer to the wheel. That diagram is illuminating!

• @Kielanders @a1katie I ride with my right (back) foot almost at the back of the board, maybe 1/2" in, but at 90 degrees to the board. My front foot is angled with the toe forward like in that pic, but my heel is almost touching the fender, again maybe 1/2" in. This is due to my 2 nose dives while I was learning, and my desire to ease the acceleration to help prevent them. I do want to move my front foot forward a bit, but my brain keeps telling me to keep it back since I've not experienced a nose dive since I've been riding this way. Seems to work for me, slower acceleration, but quick stopping, LOL.