Pint reviews???

• @a1katie said in Pint reviews???:

Is the board Squirrely? Yes, surprisingly so!

Check your tire pressure . . . go for 10% of your weight . . . makes for a much smoother ride. From the factory they are often shipped at 20 psi.

@a1katie said in Pint reviews???:

Interestingly, on a snowboard I've always favored my Heel side, but on the Pint I'm definitely more comfortable on my Toe side

I'm the same way coming from snowboarding, but to me, I think it's because heel side I'm going into a blind turn and that freaks me out a bit.

I totally have "grip tape hand" hand right now from constantly picking up my board and reorienting her.

After several times of this happening to me, I totally pick up my boards UNDER the decks, LOL.

I live on one of the best motorcycle roads in Northern Cali

I'm from NorCal and I ride a motorcycle, would that be 49? :D

• @OneDan said in Pint reviews???:

Is the board Squirrely? Yes, surprisingly so!

Check your tire pressure . . . go for 10% of your weight . . . makes for a much smoother ride. From the factory they are often shipped at 20 psi.

G2K! I'm pretty small so probably am lighter than the "average" assumed rider so I'll look into this first. Honestly, I haven't even checked my PSI yet, and I know I need to.

Interestingly, on a snowboard I've always favored my Heel side, but on the Pint I'm definitely more comfortable on my Toe side

I'm the same way coming from snowboarding, but to me, I think it's because heel side I'm going into a blind turn and that freaks me out a bit.

Yeah, for sure. I'm guessing I need to work on rotating my body more.

I totally have "grip tape hand" hand right now from constantly picking up my board and reorienting her.

After several times of this happening to me, I totally pick up my boards UNDER the decks, LOL.

I live on one of the best motorcycle roads in Northern Cali

I'm from NorCal and I ride a motorcycle, would that be 49? :D

Don't I wish! My route is smaller and goes from Livermore to San Jose through the East Bay hills & Mt. Hamilton.

• AWESOME!!! I REALLY want one now... How long can I wait? That is the real question.

Thoughts on the heel/toe carve- it makes perfect sense to me. You can control the pressure/angle on your toe edge easier than your heel. Having your eyes on where you are going also helps.

• @DreamTour said in Pint reviews???:

Thoughts on the heel/toe carve- it makes perfect sense to me. You can control the pressure/angle on your toe edge easier than your heel. Having your eyes on where you are going also helps.

And thinking about it a little more, going downhill on a snowboard, you are looking forward (downhill) on heel edge and backwards (blind) on toe edge.

• @OneDan At the beginning or end of the turn?

Downhill, starting a heel carve, you are starting your turn facing the opposite way to are going to turn. As the turn is completed you face downhill and can initiate a toe edge carve looking downhill.

• @DreamTour True, I guess it depends how fast you're going and how wide the turns are.

• @a1katie
    great writeup! funny -- i ride regular on a snowboard, and i totally favor my heel side (i'm just stronger there), and i'm noticing that i do the same on the Pint. i need to practice stopping and turning a ton more, too. large curves are no real issue, but tight ones are definitely challenging for me, especially toe-side. it really sounds like you and i are about the same level of experience, so it's fun to compare. thanks for writing up your thoughts!

• Some updates:

Last night I dropped the pressure down to 12 psi and switched to the Elevate ride mode. These two things helped me out a ton! I was able to get up to 12 MPH.

Then today I rode in the city on asphalt for the first time! Had to leave my car at the auto shop and then rode The Windbreaker 2 miles over to the rental car agency. Have to say, after doing so much trail riding, pavement was a little boring. But man it feels like absolute butter! I rode mostly in the bike lane but took to the sidewalk a bit as well and the pavement seams and bumps there were NBD at all.

After riding 2 miles on a 78% charge, I’m now down to 57% battery and the app says I still have 6 miles to go on range.

• @a1katie

I found an old thread on foot placement that might interest you:

https://community.onewheel.com/topic/3868/favorite-foot-position-photos/5

It has a photo with a foot placement that is working for me in doing stable tight turns, and with very stable carving in my comfort zone of around 14 to 16 mph.

1471460989930-onewheel-feet-placement.jpg

What is making the real difference for me is having my rear heel position at around an 20 or 30 degree angle toward the rear of the board, and having the toes toward the wheel tucked just under the edge of my flight fin.

I do tend to keep my front foot more parallel to the wheel and tucked under my front fin, not the position shown in the photo.

The position puts a little stress on my knee (which I have to be careful of), but is allowing for very stable carving both on an off pavement with no wobble when making the turn into and out of the carve.

• @Kielanders Ooh interesting, thanks for sharing! My instinct has been to keep both my feet closer to the wheel. That diagram is illuminating!

• @Kielanders @a1katie I ride with my right (back) foot almost at the back of the board, maybe 1/2" in, but at 90 degrees to the board. My front foot is angled with the toe forward like in that pic, but my heel is almost touching the fender, again maybe 1/2" in. This is due to my 2 nose dives while I was learning, and my desire to ease the acceleration to help prevent them. I do want to move my front foot forward a bit, but my brain keeps telling me to keep it back since I've not experienced a nose dive since I've been riding this way. Seems to work for me, slower acceleration, but quick stopping, LOL.