OW models and taking them on airplanes

• so, i just read this over at /r onewheel. as a new Pint owner, i find this very very interesting, especially the part about the first runs being mis-marked and now available for replacement, if we so choose...

https://oneradwheel.com/can-i-take-a-onewheel-plus-xr-on-an-airplane/

anyone else know if this is legit?

• @Franko

Basically it depends on if our federally financed mall cops (with full benefits & retirement package) will let you on the plane . . . well, that, presuming the airline doesn't have their own requirement.

Here's the latest 'vague' information I could find on the issue from 2016: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/aircarrier_info/

Hopefully, someone has something more recent combined with real world experience.

• It looks like the article gives everything you would need to know to "get it by" legitimately through security as a "camera dolly"/mobility device. Not an XR. Guess I really need a Pint now, and glad I didn't get a first run edition.

It is NOT A HOVERBOARD! It complies with the regulations (for now...).

• @Franko

People that travel with the OW+ frequently will check the tire/motor and carry the frame on with the battery installed. Camera dolly is spot on... one of the guys I know who does this is a videographer. No issue flying this way.

The batteries cannot be checked no matter what and 160 Whr is the max carry on. Pint battery is just under the 160 but I’m not sure if anyone has tried flying yet

• i will add an update to this thread: i talked to someone at FM last night on the phone, and asked specifically about being able to take my Pint on a plane, since mine is one of the early mis-marked ones stating it's 170Wh, when it's really less. The guy i talked to said, "ohhh, yeah, some early models were mis-marked. I can send you a letter that assures TSA that the Pint is actually 147Wh," which is pretty much all i was expecting (note that there is no mention of getting new rails with the right markings, returning existing Pint for a new one that is correctly marked, etc. -- all of which have been mentioned on Reddit and in this forum).

anyway, in a few minutes i did get the letter, and what i think adds a bit of weight to it is that it specifically refers to my Pint by serial number. it's not SUPER official-looking, but there is a phone number (with an extension number) on it for the Customer Service Manager at FM, so i guess they could call if they really wanted to verify. but TLDR, the Pints could/should definitely be allowed on planes, if the airline is ok with them.

• @Franko
    This is really good news. Appreciate the thread and updated information. Being TSA compliant is a key reason for me getting a pint.

• @LidPhones When you get your hands on your Pint finally, would you please do us a favor and check the battery label to let us know if yours is labeled correctly?

• @Franko said in OW models and taking them on airplanes:

note that there is no mention of getting new rails with the right markings, returning existing Pint for a new one that is correctly marked, etc. -- all of which have been mentioned on Reddit and in this forum

Sad face!

• @a_onekatie
    Will do. I should be looking at a Demo Pint tonight after a much needed Hot Yoga class.

• @LidPhones sounds like a good night!