Leak in tire

• Hi,

I think, I have a leak in my tire after 600 kms. The tire is not worn out, I mmostly ride pavement and recognized two days ago that the tire was not very hard. so I pumped it at the gas Station to 22 psi, rode it 30 minutes and this morning I rechecked it and it was completely flat. So what can I do now? I checked the tire for holes, but didn't find anything.
    Any ideas what to do?
    Thanks

• @owpete Take some soapy water( Dawn work best) when you have both, add to a bowl no need make it bubbly just have the soap evenly mixed. Next put your hand or a couple fingers and wipe the entire tire down with the water. I forgot to mention make sure the tire is somewhat pumped, but once you cover your tire. Look for bubbles and you found your hole

• And what happens, if I found the hole?

• @owpete depends. If the hole is on the side wall you will need to get it replaced. If it is on the main part, you can go to a tire place and they should plug it no charge. At least that's what Les Schwab does. Or plug it yourself with either "fix a flat" spray can or buy your own plug kit from your local auto parts store. If the hole is right on the edge, like not quite side wall but it's close. You are better of getting it replaced. Hope this helps

• @Nick-carmeci I could be making this up, but I thought OneWheel fills the wheel in the factory with "fix flat" spray. Also could be making up that you can't plug tires that have the spray inside already.

Probably no harm in a DIY fix, youtube must have something for go-kart wheels. Would love to know the outcome! Soap that tire, look for bubbles, and keep us posted. Hopefully it's not the sidewall or rim...

• @owpete After a couple hundred miles on my +, my tire was deflating maybe 10 psi a day. I asked FM as well as on here and ended up adding the green slime. This held until I swapped the tire out at 1500 miles.

Here's the link to the green slime on Amazon.

You use half the bottle for 1 tire. But make sure there isn't any in there already . . . you can usually tell once you pull the valve core using the slime bottle cap (on my +, it didn't come pre-slimed from FM).

• My XR (2months old) got a flat at 100+ miles from sharp rocks/gravel, the hole bled a little blue slime and needed a refill of air a couple times but seems to be holding well at 300 miles

• Just my opinion, but don't add more slime, dont try plug kit. At least not until you consider pulling the tire and using a patch. Depending on the puncture that would probably be my "go-to" weather it's on the sidewall or tread, I'm not gonna scrap a good tire when I can clean the slime out of it and do a proper bonded patch and likely get a full life out of it.

• @owpete

I used to pump gas and was a 'tire guy' at a service station in high school 40 years ago. I doubt much has changed.

Like the others said, you can use soapy water on a washcloth to coat the tire while it's attached to the board to find the leak, but don't forget to check around the valve stem, and put a little soapy water into the valve core itself after removing the cap. Sometimes a little sand gets into the valve core and causes a slow leak. Also, get a valve core tool to make sure the core doesn't need tightening.

If you can't find the leak, you can over-inflate the tire to about 40/50 psi (wouldn't go much higher) to help you. You could probably go higher, but I wouldn't recommend it. Catastrophic failure of an over inflated tire (however unlikely) has injured and taken more than a few lives the past 100+ years.

You can also pull the tire & hub and use 3 to 4 inches of soapy warm water in the kitchen sink or washtub - roll it slowly and don't submerge the hub. The water depth should just cover the rubber and touch the steel hub when the wheel is standing upright. Then just roll the tire slowly in the sink looking for bubbles.

Mark the leaks you can find with a crayon, remove the tire, and patch it yourself, or take it to a tire shop for the patch.

You might want to consider just removing the wheel with the hub, and taking that to a tire shop - they should have you good to go in 10 to 15 minutes.

Worst case is they need to throw a tube in it to save the tire, which isn't ideal for you, but will still be cheaper than most OW tires out there. Although, I believe I've seen a couple of new tires for ~$30.

I've never plugged a go-cart tire (plenty of lawnmowers though), but imagine if the hole was in the tread, and not too large or irregular, it might just work fine. If you go the plug route, don't trim the plug too short, and get out there on a hot day right after doing it to help the plug adhesive set-in.

Personally, I would lean toward getting a tire guy to do it. They've got the tools and the experience to get you back on the road quick. But, nothing like learning a new skill if you're so inclined.

• Hi everybody,

I finally figured out that the leak is on the main part of the tire. It was a Little Stone, Pretty sharp. Whe I took the Stone out, obviously even more air left the tire.
    So what shall I do next, slime, patch…
    The leak is approximately 1mm large. When I put the tire to 25 psi, it takes 3 Hours to be completely flat.

• @owpete I'd buy a tire plug kit and fix it, or take it to an auto shop to plug the hole if I'm feeling lazy.

• Which tire fix plug can you recommend and how does it work?

• @owpete OK, I'll admit it. I'm always lazy... You jam some rubber in with a twisty tool and cut it off, I've never had the kit.

Youtube and Amazon will have all the answers you seek.

• Hi everybody,
    thanks for all your help. So finally the tire guy put some fixplug in the wheel and after 5 hours, it seams as it is fine. I will let you know, if it stays like this. What are your experiences with this kind of fixing, how long will it last?