Installed Pint Railguards

• @brahlay said in Installed Pint Railguards:

Anybody receive the official onewheel pint railguards yet and apply them to the board? If so, what are your thoughts and does it upgrade or downgrade the natural look of the board?

i have -- they are ok. i have never seen rail guards from anyone else, but these will certainly do the job. they are a thick glossy rubber material, and the sticky side is VERY sticky. the slight downside to me is that it's almost impossible to apply them without getting bubbles here and there. but from a distance you don't really notice them, and i think the bubbles are a small price to pay to keep my rails from getting any more bashed up than they already are. my only gripe is that i wish they would've shipped with my Pint in the first place, so my rails would have continued to look pristine out of the box, but oh well.

• @Franko I so feel that pain! How do they look on? Do you feel like having already scratched up your rails defeats the purpose of them now?

Any noise coming off of them? I remember reading something about that somewhere around here...

• @Franko Yeah, i was really wondering about the bubbles being able to flatten out, as seen in the railguards vid by onewheel. Thanks for your feedback!

• Also, I contacted support to see if they sell just the rails as replacements and they replied:

"​If for some reason your rails get damaged or scratched and you want to have them replaced we could do that. We would just have you send the board into our facility for the repair. If you were to do that we would not be able to send the old rails back."

• @brahlay said in Installed Pint Railguards:

Also, I contacted support to see if they sell just the rails as replacements and they replied:

whoa! even for the Sage Pint? that would be awesome. did they mention how much that would cost, though...?

as far as flattening out the bubbles, i'm a graphic design who's installed my share of vinyl for signs, and i know lots of tricks. one thing i COMPLETELY forgot, and maybe i'll try in the future, is to lightly spray your surface with water before applying the sticky side. that way you can use a blunt object (like the back of a spoon) to smooth it out and hopefully squeeze out the bubbles (and water) at the same time. it's probably worth a shot.

• @Franko what about the pin prick method on those bubbles? I’m guessing the rail guard material is too thick?

• @a_onekatie said in Installed Pint Railguards:

what about the pin prick method on those bubbles? I’m guessing the rail guard material is too thick?

haha, sounds like there's another designer in the house! i actually tried the pin-prick (well, X-acto prick) method when i did mine. it worked a bit, but i do think the material is too thick for it to be really effective.

• @Franko lol yeah, I’ve done my fair share of vinyl applications!

• Really glad I stuck some SUP board rub guards on the Pint. Need to keep it somewhat fresh if possible. So far so good after five miles... D6A21914-122C-4E6E-8BFD-F470FFA88C9F.jpeg

• @LidPhones wow -- i remember when my rails looked that good. SNIFF!

• @Franko said in Installed Pint Railguards:

@LidPhones wow -- i remember when my rails looked that good. SNIFF!

Hey eventually it happens to everyone. All OWs are like tanks from the build perspective. Think of it as reason to customize the look down the road....

• @LidPhones this is a good point! but i'm gonna miss the limited Sage color if i had to lose it...

• @Franko Good question, if they have replacement rails for the sage, as they're limited. I ordered the slate, so...

They did not mention the cost, but another good question which i will ask them and post answer here. I'll also ask about sage rails for u.

Thanks for the water tip -- before applying. However, I'm still not convinced enough to actually apply them. I'll just pay for full rail replacements.

• I guess the real question is why they don't have color rail guards for the Pint, they have them for the + and XR.

• @OneDan my assumption was always because the pint has color options to begin with?

I was frustrated they didn’t offer a clear version of the fender for the pint, that was the one I really wanted.

• @Franko

Quick question; did your Pint Fender come with an assembly kit? Mine is due to arrive today and I’m wondering if I need to pick up a set of Allen wrenches on the way home.

• @a_onekatie said in Installed Pint Railguards:

I was frustrated they didn’t offer a clear version of the fender for the pint, that was the one I really wanted.

As dirty as mine gets, not sure clear would be a good idea! LOL

• @a_onekatie yes, it came with the wrench. you're golden!

• @Franko carbon smith has some badass bumper sliders that protect most of the board, and they have bottom plates as well

• @Franko Good news, from OW:

"If you needed to replace a single rail it would be about $50 and if you needed to replace a set it would be a little under $100 I believe. We should be able to replace the rails of any color for your board."