Riding Music

• Check out Griz - he's like funk meets dubstep, really high energy feel-good music.

• @Xebulon Ever since he and Dotcom split up, it just hasn't been the same.

• Started the week listening to some Dire Straits, wouldn't recommend them. Found that I was just pretty much ignoring them. Switched over to some CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival, for those of you under 50) Suzi Q, Run through the jungle, Fortunate son, All great riding songs.
    Funny thing is that even if I don't have the plugs in I'm still carving to these songs. I may have damaged my riding synapses.

• After 13 years of waiting TOOL finally has a new album out. But Holy price gouging Batman. $109.99 for the CD this morning on amazon.

• @Sponge315 It was listen for free on Prime for a minute...

• No one is more surprised than me to report this, but: the new Pixies, Beneath the Eyrie, is surprisingly good. It's not Surfer Rosa or Doolittle, but it feels of a piece with Bossanova or Trompe le Monde.

Nothing on it is worse than "decent", and well over half of it is good-to-great, with two songs ("Catfish Kate" and "Daniel Boone") that I'd put among their best ever. Interesting production, interesting arrangements, Santiago's on fire and Lovering's drums are forward, and most importantly, catchy, slightly-weird Pixies songs.

• @Glyph said in Riding Music:

No one is more surprised than me to report this, but: the new Pixies, Beneath the Eyrie, is surprisingly good. It's not Surfer Rosa or Doolittle, but it feels of a piece with Bossanova or Trompe le Monde.

Nothing on it is worse than "decent", and well over half of it is good-to-great, with two songs ("Catfish Kate" and "Daniel Boone") that I'd put among their best ever. Interesting production, interesting arrangements, Santiago's on fire and Lovering's drums are forward, and most importantly, catchy, slightly-weird Pixies songs.

Interesting review, thanks for that! I’ve been curious about that album, but I just personally feel like it’s not “The Pixies” without Kim Deal 😢

• @a_onekatie I have long felt the same way ("No Kim, no deal!"), but Paz Lechantin seems to have made the remarkably ego-free decision to basically just do things like Kim would - her vocal harmonies and bass-playing here are very reminiscent. Like she thought, "what works best in the context of this band, and 'Pixies' songs?" and did that.

And yet, she's got writing or co-writing credits on several songs. So maybe she's also energizing Black Francis. Whatever it is, something's clicking here that hasn't clicked in a long time.

This is the first post-reunion record that that I haven't played two or three times, thought "meh", and then immediately forgotten about - this one's been stuck in my car, and my head, for days. It reminds you how great and important and influential they were, without necessarily trying to replicate exactly that. It does its own weird little dark thing (a lot of references to death and being "marked").

• @Glyph awesome review! Okay, now I’m excited to check it out!

• My friend apples made this. Anyone want to put it on a shirt?

Spiritualized.jpg

• I have been taking Louden Wainwright III a spin lately. While not everybodies cup of tea, I find is brutal honesty touching.
    Listening to interviews of his son Rufus it is obvious that he was a difficult father, but at least he is up front about it.

• Been listening a lot to The Courtneys, a trio of Canadian gals on Flying Nun. Catchy as all get out with exuberant gang-shouted vocals, and they have that classic Flying Nun noisy-pop sound, where the instruments all chug forward together in unison relentlessly like a train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl77f2gFSL4

• @Glyph said in Riding Music:

Been listening a lot to The Courtneys, a trio of Canadian gals on Flying Nun. Catchy as all get out with exuberant gang-shouted vocals, and they have that classic Flying Nun noisy-pop sound, where the instruments all chug forward together in unison relentlessly like a train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl77f2gFSL4

They have beaches in Canada? Who knew?