Commuting on the Pint

• Okay so evening commute was not too bad at all. I managed to squeeze onto an overcrowded car, surprisingly people made room and didn’t seem too offended by my board. For the first few stops I did have to keep it tipped on one end like so:

Balance wasn’t too awkward and my fingers just reach the top end without having to slump over.
    However as soon as the car cleared out some, I set it on it’s side against the bike stand wall and then just stood in front with one toe on the board for good measure.

Interestingly I did some research last night and found out my train has a policy for the use of EPAMD’s and you actually need to apply for a permit to bring one on board. However, everything I’ve found describes EPAMD’s as having two wheels, so Imma go ahead and assume these rules do not apply to me 🤷🏼‍♀️😉

• Something I hadn’t thought to consider previously; the Lunch Time Fun Run is now a legit thing for me! 🤘🏻 And I just had my first run-in ever with a security guard trying to tell me I can’t ride in a park. That, I will never understand, it’s not like I was totally hauling ass or anything.

I know I’m really pushing that battery there! Tonight will be a “must charge.”

• @a_onekatie Whats the gaurds problem.

Sounds like you're going to have some battles to avoid each week on your travels

• @Daymos lol who knows? The first guard I passed was fine with it!

• @a_onekatie said in Commuting on the Pint:

And I just had my first run-in ever with a security guard trying to tell me I can’t ride in a park.

Whenever I see those guys I try to say hello or greet them somehow, but some people are just not friendly. So far, so good, as I go through quite a few parks in my area, but since you're in SF, they may be more concerned about the tourist areas. Who knows? Maybe you can find some "less patrolled" areas for the LTFR!

• @OneDan for sure, I’ll go elsewhere at lunch time. I’m a little concerned now tho if they’re not going to let me cut thru that park on my way home; the only real way to avoid it is to go the wrong way down a one way street with no bike lane for three blocks. So, makes a lot of sense to keep me outta the park right?

• @a_onekatie Don't they have a bunch of those scooters that people rent in SF or did they outlaw those? When in doubt, I follow those rules, which are basically to use the bike lanes, wear a helmet, etc. Luckily, here in Sacramento, I don't see too much policing of personal mobility devices and I really only have to go about a mile on public streets to get to any of the bike paths. :)

• @OneDan we do (it's actually sorta how I ended up on this path to begin with). But there is no signage or notifications of any kind posted anywhere that I could see. And I regularly see those a-holes on the scooters in all kinds of illegal activity, especially riding on heavily populated sidewalks.

• @a_onekatie Agree . . . sometimes riding with a kid on board, no helmets, weaving in/out of traffic . . . makes me cringe, but it also ruins it for the safe riders!

• LMAO 3 Days in, and I’m already developing “Pint Hand!”

• @a_onekatie The news in the UK had a fature on electric scooters last night

They are classed as illegal but so many people use them to get around the city. They had this scooter user talking sying its a greener way to get around the city etc..

What the authrities concluded is that the authorities are way behind in regulating these devices to there is no firm stance on how they can be used.

Its so easy for them to get with the times but they dont care and just put every electronic device in the same cattorgory and ban then all.

Do you guys think a small test / licence to ensure people can ride safely (that will give them money because thats what its all about for them) would be a good idea?

• @Daymos Yes, unfortunately there illegal unless ridden on private land with the owners permission. Apparently the law is being looked at but it’ll be a long time before there is any change.
    As I’m sure you’re aware, electric scooters and skateboards have had a lot of bad press in the last 4 weeks, with 2 deaths.
    I really wish there was a licence you could buy and even an insurance that you could buy to legally ride these things.

• @Mark-Vlogs I really dont have much faith in whatever they decide to put in place

Its usually a bunch or old guys in their 70s with zero knowledge who will make the ultimate decision

• @a_onekatie
    Yeah I agree that unless specifically called out, it is most often best to operate under the rule to ask forgiveness vs permission!!!! Keep us posted on your journey....

EPAMD’s

Okay, so my EPAMD Permit is in the mail now. The unfortunate aspect to this is it basically means I now have to follow rules I did not previously believe applied to me. For reference--

The following rules apply to the use of Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices (EPAMDs):
    • EPAMDs are allowed in the system only at the same times and on the same trains as bicycles. This is generally during off-peak times or in the reverse commute direction. Consult the BART schedules in brochures and stations, or on www.bart.gov for details.
    • EPAMDs are not allowed in the first car of any train.
    • No more than one EPAMD is allowed in any doorway area. EPAMDs are not allowed to enter
    crowded cars regardless of the time of day.
    • EPAMDs are not allowed on either stairs or escalators. Use the elevators to get in and out of the station and onto the platform. If an elevator is out of service, go to the next station. Do not use the stairs or escalators under any circumstances.
    • EPAMDs must be turned off and pushed or pulled in the stations. When entering an above- ground station, the EPAMD user must dismount and turn off his or her device before reaching the faregate, or earlier if there is any heavily congested area. When accessing below-ground stations, the EPAMD user must dismount at the street level before entering the street elevator. The EPAMD may never be ridden or powered up in the paid area or platform, or on the train.
    • EPAMDs must be ridden at no more than a walking pace on the parts of the BART property where riding is allowed. Whether ridden or pushed, yield to pedestrians.
    • While on board trains, EPAMD users must secure their devices in the seating or standing area near the doors or in the wheelchair space if it is not needed by a wheelchair user. Hold the device. Yield the priority seating to seniors and persons with disabilities if it is needed. Cooperate with bicyclists and customers with strollers and luggage when using the space near the doors.
    • EPAMD users must not move their devices down the aisle to relocate within the car, nor may they take the device between cars on the train.
    • EPAMD users may not allow their device to block an aisle or doorway. Allow other riders to enter, exit, and move within the train car.
    • The user must secure the device so that it does not roll with the motion of the train. EPAMDs should be positioned perpendicular to the front of the train to minimize its propensity to roll. Use the kick stand if possible. Chock the wheels to prevent rolling.
    • EPAMD must be left behind on the train in case of an evacuation.
    • EPAMDs may be parked at bicycle racks, in bicycle lockers, at motorcycle parking spaces, or
    in bike stations
    • Carry your permit at all times

Several of these never even occurred to me as being necessary in the first place. I KNOW that most cyclists do not follow many of them (not allowed to enter crowded cars regardless of the time of day-- yeah, right), so hopefully I'll be able to get away with ignoring some of the more asinine ones too. But if you are planning to take your OW on any public transportation I would highly recommend you do the due diligence and check up on your system's rules first.

• @a_onekatie I got half way and gave up reading due to exhaustion... its easier for me to pretend I dont know any of this and ride sensibly ;)

• @Daymos LOL

These were the standouts to me:

• No more than one EPAMD is allowed in any doorway area. EPAMDs are not allowed to enter
    crowded cars regardless of the time of day.

• EPAMDs are not allowed on either stairs or escalators. Use the elevators to get in and out of the station and onto the platform. If an elevator is out of service, go to the next station. Do not use the stairs or escalators under any circumstances.

• EPAMD users must not move their devices down the aisle to relocate within the car, nor may they take the device between cars on the train.

• Ok, so I tried my first commute on a Pint today, and it didn't end well!
    To put this into context, I've only been riding Onewheels for a few weeks, so I'm not an experienced rider by any means, but I'm not sure this was down to anything I did.
    I bought an XR a few weeks ago, whilst waiting for my Pint to arrive, so I've ridden the XR to and from work a couple of times with no issues.
    Today was my first commute on the Pint, which arrived last week. I noticed that the pushback was much harder than on the XR, but I've not tried to push through it - just kept to the speed with the nose in the air.
    The journey into work was ok, but I was riding home through a park on the way home, probably about 4 miles into my ride, with a full charge at the beginning of the ride, and it suddenly cut out and nosedived at about 14-15mph.
    I hit the ground pretty hard (see the pic of my helmet) and despite having elbow pads on, grazed my elbow and cut my fingers.
    I had the app running at the time, and it said that there was an error 16. The lightbar was just flashing red. After restarting it, it worked ok again, but I kept the speed down (partly as I still felt a bit dazed from the fall).

I've just contacted FM support, which is what the error 16 message said to do, so I'll post their response when I get one. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this?

I don't want to scare anyone, but just to say - be careful out there, and always wear protection!

Always wear a helmet!
    Road rash

• @J0nKn1ght oh wow, hope you're okay!

I had my pint for just over a month before I felt prepared for my commute (My husband will still tell you I'm not ready yet lol). I'm not sure what exactly happened to you there, but my absolute topmost speed to date is only 12.5 MPH. What mode were you riding in? @14-15 MPH why don't you think it was the pushback that did it?

"• EPAMDs are not allowed on either stairs or escalators. Use the elevators to get in and out of the station and onto the platform. If an elevator is out of service, go to the next station. Do not use the stairs or escalators under any circumstances."

I'm sure this applies to more larger objects like scooters so yo umay get away with hoolding your pint like a briefcase