Why not turn the Onewheel off?

• So in preparation for getting my Onewheel pint. I've been watching a lot of video's. One thing I'm noticing . . . people don't turn them off right away. Video of a guy going shopping. In the shopping cart in the store you can clearly see the button on his XR on the entire time. Another where the guy commutes to work on a Pint, you can see the LED's on the foot pad glowing.

Any reason why you wouldn't turn it off right away?? Just wondering.

• @UTrider not really, are you sure that’s what you saw? My reason for asking is the second you pick it up or put it in any position other than “wheel on the ground” it will stop working. Kinda drives me nuts actually on my commute, it has to be in position before I turn it on as well. Otherwise your light bar flashes yellow and the board is literally unrideable as it won’t ever engage until you’ve turned it off, set it in the correct position, and then turned it back on again. Was the light bar flashing yellow as well in those vids with the shopping cart?

Just leaving it on will drain your battery obvs, but I have done that occasionally on purpose if I’ve accidentally charged it to a full 100%. Every time tho has been when I was at home and done for the day.

• (XR) If I'm tracking distance then I do not turn it off as this will reset the trip meter in the app. But as I get to know my wheel better and better I now turn it off during longer breaks (shopping etc), as I now have a pretty good gut feel for how long the battery will last riding in my part of the world.

• @UTrider said in Why not turn the Onewheel off?:

Another where the guy commutes to work on a Pint, you can see the LED's on the foot pad glowing.

Any reason why you wouldn't turn it off right away?? Just wondering.

Been thinking about this some more, especially as I start my commute this Monday morning. Even if you felt you needed to keep the board on while on public transpo to doc your full trip, I wouldn’t recommend the move, as it will only draw negative attention to yourself. I’m sure it will vary from city to city but where I commute, leaving the board on is against the rules and could potentially flag me for a ticket:

EPAMDs must be turned off and pushed or pulled in the stations. When entering an above- ground station, the EPAMD user must dismount and turn off his or her device before reaching the faregate, or earlier if there is any heavily congested area. When accessing below-ground stations, the EPAMD user must dismount at the street level before entering the street elevator. The EPAMD may never be ridden or powered up in the paid area or platform, or on the train.

If you still have the links to these YouTube vids would you mind posting them? I’m super curious now!

• I'll have to see if I can find them. And I have to chuckle. Board public transportation? I live in a very rural area. Entire county population is around 20k people. Public transportation is when you walk on public sidewalks :D

• @UTrider okay you’ve completely lost me then. What did you mean about the guy commuting? When was he not riding?

• No the guy commuted to work (no public transit, just on the OW home to work). When he gets to his office, he puts the pint under his desk and you can see the LED's on the footpad are on. So from stopping outside until he carried it to his office he left it on. I'll see if I can find the video again.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KamWJfy0Og

scroll into 5:45 mark. Guy is talking about always wearing a helmut. Makes a turn then cuts to him walking through a building and you can see the LED's on even when he puts it under his desk.

• @a_onekatie

Here is the other video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM8xQa3Aiqg

Scroll into about 3:50 mark. He gets off, still on, checks his mileage and battery left. Puts the pint in the shopping cart, shops and comes out. Pint LED is on the entire time inside.

• @UTrider huh weird. IDK that just sounds like a waste of battery to me. I have a YouTube account, I can try posing the question to those guys directly.

• If you watch the video to the end, he shows the stats for his trip, that's why he didn't turn it off. Otherwise, it would only be stats for the return trip. If it's not being ridden, I'm sure the battery usage is quite minimal, simply enough to run the LEDs.

For the guy that put it under his desk, are you sure he didn't have a charger at work?

• I bet leaving it on doesn't actually use a noticeable amount of electricity, considering the battery size and power draw from the computer alone.
    Test it. Turn it on, check the used amp hours, and leave it sitting on. Then check again in 10 min. I bet it barely changes (if at all). I'll try when I get home, if I remember...

• @OneDan said in Why not turn the Onewheel off?:

If you watch the video to the end, he shows the stats for his trip, that's why he didn't turn it off.

really? huh. i turn mine off when i run into stores and stuff, and the app just goes into "pause" mode when it loses connection for a few minutes. but it sure seems like when i turn the Pint back on, the app reconnects and resumes tracking my entire run with no problem.

• @DreamTour Actually, I do this regularly when I've accidentally gone full charge. Usually leaving it unplugged about a half an hour does the trick.

• @a_onekatie Does it use 5% in a half hour when it is on but not in use? I'm going to try on my XR tonight, I'm really interested now...

• @DreamTour yup! I haven't taken exact stats, but that sounds about right.

• @DreamTour my XR shuts off after 15-20 mins of no activity. It’s never drained more than 1% sitting and always resets trip mileage after powering off but if I’m tracking a ride it just pauses the “ride” until I actually end “ride.” Hope that helps everyone out.

• @HanahsDax That sounds reasonable, 1% battery for 15 min of standby. I'm going to track the actual amp hours used (it's in the board settings) for 10 min and see what it looks like.

• @HanahsDax That makes sense since the battery, trip mileage, and total board mileage are stored on the board (then uploaded) and the ride location (GPS) is tracked by the app on the phone.

• I always turn mine off unless I'm tracking a trip. Sometimes I don't take my phone with me. Once the shaping mode is set I don't really need it with the pint since it has the led strip.

• @Senior-Coffee said in Why not turn the Onewheel off?:

Once the shaping mode is set I don't really need it with the pint since it has the led strip.

And since the bluetooth is broken, why bother! HAHAAAAAAAAAA