Comparing Pint and XR Bluetooth Connection Functionality With iOS 13 Variants While Connecting to an Apple Watch S4.

• Ok so before iOS 13 the Pint and XR connections had been equal and steady with only minor drops but automatically reconnected to show and sync data between the iPhone and Apple Watch.

Then came the update to iOS 13 and my next Pint ride had the watch face data just freeze while the iPhone screen showed realtime data. To get the watch to refresh to the current data set shown on the iPhone I had to exit and reopen the OW app on the watch (super annoying). The XR did not seem to have the same lag or freezing (although I did not pay consistence attention to the watch during the XR ride).

Because of the watch glitch and hassles of having the iPhone in hand during a ride I just relied on the OW feedback for speeds (was pretty nice actually).

*** iOS 13.1.2 and everything is back to the gold standard now (Bluetooth connections between the iPhone and Apple Watch are all synced up). So if you had some issues recently it might just be early release iOS 13 bugs related to Bluetooth and NOT anything @Future-Motion had a part in.

Ok back to TerraSurfing.......

• @LidPhones said in Comparing Pint and XR Bluetooth Connection Functionality With iOS 13 Variants While Connecting to an Apple Watch S4.:

Ok so before iOS 13 the Pint and XR connections had been equal and steady with only minor drops but automatically reconnected to show and sync data between the iPhone and Apple Watch.

*** iOS 13.1.2 and everything is back to the gold standard now (Bluetooth connections between the iPhone and Apple Watch are all synced up). So if you had some issues recently it might just be early release iOS 13 bugs related to Bluetooth and NOT anything @Future-Motion had a part in.

Ok back to TerraSurfing.......

Are you saying your app (watch and phone) maintains a nearly constant connection while you ride? Does your watch do this even if you put your phone in your pocket? What happens when your phone inevitably goes to sleep, does the watch still function?

Apologies if these seem like rather obvious questions but all of my software is up to date and my answer to all those questions is no, but FM are telling me everything is working as intended 🤷🏼‍♀️

• @a_onekatie
    No worries at all and I have seen your other thread on the connection issues. Mine seems to have been only related to the iOS and watchOS Bluetooth communication. The following is my expected iPhone to Watch functionality:

I have auto connect turned off in the OW app as I have the XR and Pint so I select the correct one once powered up.

Once the Pint (or XR) are Bluetooth linked to iPhone app then I open the OW app on my watch. I have the OW app shortcut on my watch face for easy access and start up as it tends to fall out sometimes (not that often before iOS 13, more so now with iOS 13).
    DA72C2E1-54E7-4CEB-B526-32D7E07AC13B.jpeg

During my ride I leave the iPhone in my short or jean pocket and only tilt my wrist to look at the OW data. With the latest iOS I am back to a reliable connection now... I will try to capture some video evidence on my next ride to share.

Best of luck with FM on your issue..

• @LidPhones said in Comparing Pint and XR Bluetooth Connection Functionality With iOS 13 Variants While Connecting to an Apple Watch S4.:

During my ride I leave the iPhone in my short or jean pocket and only tilt my wrist to look at the OW data.

I do this, except with an Android phone and a Wear OS watch . . . works flawlessly with my + and my XR. Since they repaired my XR, it never drops the connection.

• @OneDan
    Luckily I have always had great luck with Bluetooth functionality between the OW (XR and Pint), Phone and watch. Only recent glitch was some iOS Bluetooth bugs that have now been fixed.....

My take has always been for OW gear to add value to the ride, not take away from it. Otherwise I will not use that gear anymore....

• @a_onekatie
    I have not had the chance to capture video yet, but I can confirm that the Pint iPhone to Apple Watch Data flow does frequently update during the ride. Granted the XR does have a stronger Bluetooth connection it seems.

I was having some issue when the iPhone was against my hip area (farther aware from Pint), when placed lower in my bottom shorts pocket is was more frequently updated. On another ride I had jeans on and the connection seemed even weaker. To help this I put my phone in airplane mode and only had Bluetooth on. This helped a bunch to keep things linked up. Hope the airplane mode hack helps your connections. 👍

Because of the watch glitch and hassles of having the iPhone in hand during a ride I just relied on the OW feedback for speeds (was pretty nice actually).

Yep, I gave-up on my phone after 100 miles, and rely totally on feedback from the board based on my ride settings. Plus, it seems like everytime I was looking at the phone that I'd find a new pothole.

Pushback and Surge based on conditions always seem to let me know where I'm at with speed & battery status.

Still, for a spendy product like this, and considering Bluetooth tech is almost 20 years old, it would be nice to get a consistent signal.

• @Kielanders
    It is absolutely nice to be a minimalist and just enjoy TerraSurfing, being in the moment....

I also fully agree that given the maturity of Bluetooth, FM should not be having any board connection issues. I would expect more phone issues....