"Do a kick flip!"

• @Kielanders - I've gotten both those, as well as a lot of "Can I/Let me try/ride it".

Those are the ones I'd like a response for, since anything I'd like to say like "nope!" or "then buy one!" comes across as dickish...but true. I've only ever let a couple strangers get on my OW, and both were other OWers or e-skaters.

I've stopped and talked to solo adults about the board if it seemed safe to do so, but I'm definitely not going to let someone with no experience or board of their own get on there and get hurt, or let some rando group of kids on there, or frankly even stop to talk to them, since I don't need to get robbed.

• @Glyph said in "Do a kick flip!":

@Kielanders - I've gotten both those, as well as a lot of "Can I/Let me try/ride it".

Those are the ones I'd like a response for, since anything I'd like to say like "nope!" or "then buy one!" comes across as dickish...but true. I've only ever let a couple strangers get on my OW, and both were other OWers or e-skaters.

I've stopped and talked to solo adults about the board if it seemed safe to do so, but I'm definitely not going to let someone with no experience or board of their own get on there and get hurt, or let some rando group of kids on there, or frankly even stop to talk to them, since I don't need to get robbed.

Right there with you on the 'Can I try it?' thing, usually asked by people in their 20s. I wear a full face bike helmet, so I pretend not to hear them and zip-on by.

The times I've stopped, it's been for folks 'my age' with questions, but they never ask to ride it.

Between injuries, and the stories of watching people ride-off with the board, being Mr. Wonderful by letting people try it is not for me (other than friends I know).

• @Kielanders Been riding for over 3000 miles and I think the "can I try it?", mostly from kids, is what I hear the most. Either I'm already past them or I say something like "sorry, battery is low and I need to get home" or "not unless you have a driver's license", which I would hold if I ever let anyone else on my board.

I'm the same way, I haven't had anyone on my board except friends that want to try it or learn on it. No way I'm being responsible for some kid getting scraped up or a concussion or worse and I've already scratched up my OWs enough myself!

Anymore, my boards stay rubber side down at all times! I do sometimes slow or stop for curious adults and have a conversation, but yeah, depends on the situation.

@Franko As for the "do a kick flip", I mostly ignore them or I take off across the grass/dirt/gravel and say "follow me!" . . . HAHAAAAAAAAAAA

• @OneDan said in "Do a kick flip!":

As for the "do a kick flip", I mostly ignore them or I take off across the grass/dirt/gravel and say "follow me!" . . . HAHAAAAAAAAAAA

my standard answer for that is "with a 30# board??? I can't do them on a skateboard either.
    the pope of skate Tony Hawk said it in a video so now it's a thing, now go back to the park while I shred this dirt trail,

• Yeah, the kick flip thing I've only gotten from the kids, always said with a huge smile on their face, I just laugh and give 'em a big thumbs-up. I think they've always meant it in good fun - and I'll admit, at 54 years old, I probably look a little ridiculous, like I'm a fossil going through a mid life.

The 'let me ride it' thing, however, always gets a big ignore from me.

By the way, hasn't Chris Richardson pulled off a kick flip on one of his vids?

:o)

• I wonder if Boosted riders get the kick flip requests . . . anyone know? :D

• @Kielanders if anyone could learn to do a kick flip on a OW, i think it would be Tony Hawk -- and now that he's also over 50, it would be doubly sweet. actually, that was my first thought: if it IS possible to do a kick flip on a OW, i want to learn it just so that if anyone jokingly said that to me just to tweak me about it, i'd be able to say, "ok!" and then just bust it out, haha.

i DO like @OneDan's suggestion, though: "FOLLOW ME!" is pretty funny! i'm 52 so yeah, i may look like a fossil, but i'm a fossil riding a OW, so there, right? haha.

i've never been asked by anyone if they can ride my Pint yet, but i'm sure it will happen eventually. i don't want to be a dick and say "nope," i want to help spread the fun, so i think i would treat it on a case-by-case basis. i like the idea of getting a driver's license or something to hold while they do it, but not sure i'd have the nerve to demand such a thing.

• I was only joking, but then found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kFjZheDdsc

. . . give him some time, and I'll bet he gets there.

• @Kielanders amazing. seriously, 25+ lbs.... i'm thinking if anyone could do it, he is the one.

• I have gotten a few "Do a __________" requests. If it's something I can do, I sometimes try and do it. If it is something like a kick flip, I usually say "I tried but I just suck".
    As for letting people try it out. When it was only days old I let several try and most of them ended up on their butts or doing the step off with one foot splits. While amusing, probably not a good idea.