New Tire

• Ordered a new Burris tire today after I got back from a ride and found a hole in the tire with cords showing.....only 200 miles on this tire.![alt text](3F25561A-6C3C-4915-ABFA-1EF5BD926BFB.jpeg image url)

• Wow that really sucks. Feeling your pain man.
    You mentioned that you ordered a Burris to replace this obviously crappy tire. So what is this thing that we should steer clear of?

• @Sponge315 I wish I knew what to avoid. I ride exclusively on pavement and sidewalks and keep the tire between 16 and 18 psi. I got the Burris treaded after some suggestions from our local riders.

• @Maverik I ride both the Burris and the Hoosier treaded tires on my + and XR, they are both awesome. I ride 90% pavement, 10% dirt/gravel. One difference from the Vega is the treaded tires don't get pebbles and such stuck in the rubber, only some small stones that occasionally get stuck between the treads, but you can hear them on pavement. In addition, the leaves don't get sucked up into the fender as much with the treaded tires.

If that's your original Vega, 200 miles is really low . . . my original Vega on my + lasted over 1500 miles and still had more left before I changed to the Hoosier.

• @OneDan it is the original Vega and yep 200 is pretty low.

• Following up, as I just changed out the Burris on my XR for the new FF Hoosier Terrain 2. I put the Burris on around the 300 mile mark and my XR now has just over 3000 miles. You can hardly tell the mileage from the amount of tread left on the Burris, as you can see in the pics.

I'm not expecting a huge difference in the ride as the tire profiles look very similar with the new Hoosier showing a bit more "aggressive" tread. FF does claim a quieter ride due to a new compound, lighter weight, and the tread pattern, but I'll post back with any significant impressions.

Side note: I did this tire change (my third) with no tools, just my hands, after watching @jeffmccosker's 20 minute tire change video and feeling "emboldened", LOL. I even forgot to use the glass plus when installing the new tire, but I got it over the rim with barely any problems. As for the 20 mins, mine was more like 30 if I leave out all the cleaning I did while the board was apart. The key is to remember to use the slot inside the rim to position the inside edge of the tire into while both removing and installing.

Here's some eye candy of old (Burris) vs new (FF Hoosier Terrain 2):

20200507_165233.jpg

20200507_221310-COLLAGE.jpg

20200507_221139-COLLAGE.jpg

• @OneDan That old Burris looks like it has deeper treads than the new Hoosier.

• @Sponge315 love my Burris!

• @Sponge315 Could be, I was shocked at how great it's held up!
    @Maverik I love the Burris too!

Took my first ride yesterday on the new Hoosier. It truly is whisper quiet. So quiet, I had to take my ear buds out and I could still barely hear it! Great, now even people without headphones/ear buds can't hear me coming up behind them, lol.

Compared to the Burris, it's very stable on straight lines and long carves. On sharper carves and tight turns is where it differs. When leaning the board into a carve, the Hoosier "catches the edge" sooner than the Burris, so you have to be a bit more careful, but I'm sure it's something to just get used to. I did notice I can make sharper, quicker, tight carves and turns tho, so as long as I'm careful, that's a good thing. :)

I took my longest ride path (just over 12 miles) that used to drain my battery down to around 23 or 24 percent to see how the mileage held up. With the new tire, I got to the 10 mile mark and still had around 40% battery, so I actually added in another 1.5 mile detour and returned home with 26% and 13.7 miles total, so the claim of higher mileage seems to be true. FYI, I'm running the exact same PSI (around 17) as I was before.

Overall, pretty impressed with the Hoosier, but I still have the Burris around in case I want to go back.

• @OneDan Second ride confirms not only is it quieter, it's a smoother ride. It somehow almost eliminates smooth sidewalk gaps and small pebbles. Same good mileage as yesterday. Will be fun to live with this for a while.