Charging Habits

• I charge to 90% every night and my daily commute runs it dowm to 45%. I do a balance every 2nd weekend.

The 90% charge is due to a downhill section early in my ride to avoid regen overcharge.

• My 2 year old + and my 1 year old XR are on the standard charger whenever I'm not riding. Both have over 1800 miles on them and have never had battery issues. Grab one to go, plug it in when I get back!

• I charge my pint every third ride or so. I generally try to stop before the full 100% but I’m not always super diligent. I’ve had no complaints just using the standard charger, but lately I’ve been thinking it would be nice to have a second one to keep at the office, just for backup.

• i find that now that it's getting to be winter i am riding less, so i ride it a couple miles at a time until i drain it as close to completely as i can, and then i let it charge up until the light on the charger is green.

• I’ve done all kinds of different charging to my XR. Short cycles, overnights and watching app until I see it reads 100% even though charger light is still red. I’ve had a few BMS problems but the XR has over 3k miles and still takes a charge and keeps me floating the next day. The V1 I bought a few months ago I’ve taken a different approach. I run it down to single digit percentage and then charge the following day until the charger pack light turns green. The V1 has never been on the charger overnight and has minimal short cycle charges.

• @HanahsDax said in Charging Habits:

The V1 I bought a few months ago I’ve taken a different approach. I run it down to single digit percentage and then charge the following day until the charger pack light turns green. The V1 has never been on the charger overnight and has minimal short cycle charges.

this is basically what i'm doing, too, with my Pint. I'm avoiding minimal charges if i can, though. i'm curious to hear what you learn from trying this approach compared to your XR. keep us posted, please!

• Is there an official word from FM on how these batteries should be charged/maintained/stored?

• @Ramphex said in Charging Habits:

Is there an official word from FM on how these batteries should be charged/maintained/stored?

Nothing official from FM but lots of data about Li batteries out there. Ideal for longest battery life is to charge to 80%, but like most people I plug it in and walk away until the next ride. There was a thread in the "suggestion" section a while ago about adding a charging cut off for those who live up hills. I would use it all the time since I rarely use more that 50% of my XR battery.

• Correct me if I'm wrong but these aren't Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries. I think these are Lithium Iron Phosphate. I'm not familiar with the chemical make up behavior comparing to Lipos.

• I’m pretty sure the V1 and the Plus are LFPs and the XR battery is a NMC. Not sure what chemical compound they used for the Pint. According to FM’s owner’s manual batteries should be charged once every two months and should be left on the charger overnight periodically to throughly balance.

• @HanahsDax
    I guess depends on what your charging. (or not)
    I charge generally to about 95%. An extra reason for that is that I live in area with steep climbs and first getting board I quickly learned to not charge up to 100 as the board will shut down if regeneration goes past 100. Something you don't want to experience believe me is getting thrown off the board and worse have to run after it at same time cause it's rolling down hill and gaining speed.
    On that note if I know I'll be on flat surfaces the whole time or beginning my ride I'll charge fully to 100. This next part is important and you learn things like this but it's never mentioned. If you don't charge your board every so often to 100 (and let it sit on 100 for about an hour past that) you may run risk of your batteries being charged "unevenly". What results from this as with me is going up hills your Onewheel might "slip or fludder" If your over 50 you should be done however note you can get thrown forward if you feel this and don't immediately slow down.
    Charging up to 100 remember you can't overcharge your Onewheel. So once in a while let it charge even overnight, it won't hurt it.

• Any recommended % to try to wear it down to before charging? I know with Lipos it's not as good to drain them to 0 and charge them all the way to 100.

• @Ramphex said in Charging Habits:

Correct me if I'm wrong but these aren't Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries. I think these are Lithium Iron Phosphate. I'm not familiar with the chemical make up behavior comparing to Lipos.

FM current products use Lithium nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC) batteries. There are quite a few different types of Lithium batteries. For more than you would ever want to know about them you can go here.
    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

• @Sponge315

Thanks man, I’ll give it a read. Always good to keep up on the latest tech, even when it comes to batteries.

• I read a post a while back that was quite helpful. In brief:

• Periodically charge your board overnight to allow the battery to balance thoroughly (FM suggest this too)
    • Don't keep board fully charged or discharged for long periods
    • Going by battery voltage in the app is probably more accurate than the charge indicator (so I've heard)
    • If storing your board over a long time, do so at around 50%

The above supposedly helps keep your battery healthy.