Cost of Owenership

• I suspect that you all get asked the "How Much" question as much as I do. I am fond of the "To Much but not as much as it's worth" answer.
    After that I often like to mention how much it saves me on my commute. This is some math that I did on another thread.

I did go and ride the OW for one mile to get some rough numbers.
    Conditions=Pretty flat street, several starts and stops.
    AH used = .3197
    AH regen = .0378
    Mode 8 (Delirium)
    Battery voltage = 58.7
    Power rate locally = $.082/kWH

(A little math)
    .3197-.0378=.2819 AH actualy used
    .2819x58.7v = 16.5475 WH used
    16.5475/1000 = .0165475 kWH used
    .0165475 X $.082= $0.001357/mile
    or
    1/.001357 = 736.9 miles per $1.00
    or
    0.001357 X 4.6 (my commute) = $0.006242/day

Not too shabby considering it cost me about $0.84 in gas to drive my old 4Runner to work and back.

Since then I have to add another cost.
    New Hoosier Tire was about $70 shipped to my house.
    I am at 980 miles and based on the little pits in the tire I would guess that I am about 2/3 of the way done with the Vega tire.
    So I am going to guess that it is going to be done at about 1400 miles.
    So
    70 / 1400 = .05 per mile.

That is still very cheap compared to the old 4Runner, Which when I add registration, Insurance, Oil, tires, etc. It comes in closer to 0.30 per mile. Just not as cheap as I thought.

Onewheel = $0.051357 per mile
    Old 4 runner = $0.30 per mile
    The Float = Priceless (for you old enough to remember that advertisement)

• @Sponge315 nearly 3,000km in and mine costs me 4.3 Australian cents per day to commute the 16km daily trip. Saves me $8.20 in bus fares. Not quite paid for itself yet but won't be long. 👍

• great thread, now that I'm adding it up in my head the initial cost is ridiculous, and I'm just a recreational rider, no saving money on my commute.
    all in for a modded XR + spare motor w/treaded burris and a dressed pint with hoosier tread =well over $4k.
    Embarrassing when I say it out loud, but the cost of ownership/operation after purchase means I can ride a board all spring/summer/fall for a handfull of pennies.
    not unlike purchasing a solar array or a tesla, and when I solar charge it's free.
    I should be able to get well over 4000 mi. of happy turns out of these fabulous toys so it'll all be worth it over the years.

ps I live off paved roads, eskate don't cut the mudturds

• @Sponge315 I dig the intricate formula you’ve created. I use more of a layman’s type and divided the amount of money I’ve invested to miles I’ve rode. It’s got me at around $0.64 a mile. I always thought the product paid for itself after a dollar a mile. I’ve been fortunate to not have any medical bills or time missed from work due to injury. That could definitely add to cost of ownership. Haha. On a side note I was in your neck of the woods yesterday driving home from Vegas. Stopped and hit the BMX pump track. Logged it in on the Ride section of the app.

• @HanahsDax said in Cost of Owenership:

@Sponge315 I dig the intricate formula you’ve created. I use more of a layman’s type and divided the amount of money I’ve invested to miles I’ve rode. It’s got me at around $0.64 a mile. I always thought the product paid for itself after a dollar a mile. I’ve been fortunate to not have any medical bills or time missed from work due to injury. That could definitely add to cost of ownership. Haha. On a side note I was in your neck of the woods yesterday driving home from Vegas. Stopped and hit the BMX pump track. Logged it in on the Ride section of the app.

Nice, but I can't go that direction yet, Not enough miles. With less than 1k on the board I would still be over $2 a mile. Nope can't think about it that way for a while yet.
    And while you mention it, Anybody passing by should give me a shout. I'll show you some of our "Roads to nowhere" They built a bunch of them out into the desert just before the relestate bubble burst. Strange, but excellent Onewheel riding. We are still getting up into the 70's most days. So other than the rain last week the weather is still pretty good.

• Similar to @HanahsDax, I've got approximately $4k into my 2 boards (a 2 year old + and a year old XR), tires, and accessories. Combined miles is coming up on 3600, so I'm almost down to $1/mile. All pleasure riding for me, as I used to work from home and now I'm retired.

I'll probably be selling my + soon as it doesn't get much attention anymore (I take short rides every week or so on it) and still rides like new after 1700 miles. Subtracting whatever I can sell the + and any accessories for will for sure put me below the $1/mile mark.