Bluetooth issues with OneWheel Pint

• Hey guys, I have recently purchased a OneWheel Pint and I've been having some bluetooth issues. I have looked at some other topics with bluetooth issues but they were mostly for other OneWheel boards.

Setup:
    OneWheel Pint: hardware - 5301, software - gemini 5050, odometer - 19m
    Phone: iPhone 11 Pro w/iOS 13

There are no issues with my iPhone. I have no issues connecting to any other bluetooth devices - my car, rentals, AirPods, Beats, etc.

The board doesn't stay connected for more than 10-15 seconds, then goes to the "reconnecting" notification, then connects back, then back to "reconnecting". It would not be much of an issue if I only used it to update the stats in the app but I feel as it renders the Ride Logging pretty useless.

I did a 2 mile ride earlier today - launched the app right at the beginning of the trail, started a ride log, and went off. Couple of minutes into the ride, I got a notification on my watch stating my ride has been paused because the board has been disconnected from my phone for 2 minutes.

IMG_0726.jpeg

I pulled my phone out and checked the app, it was still open and said "reconnecting". After reconnecting, I put my phone back in my pocket and continued to ride. The beginning portion of my ride did not get recorded and the app jumped through the woods and a pond to my current location.

Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 21.01.27.jpeg

At the end of the ride, when I got back to where I started, I realized that the app "paused" my ride exactly at the half way point and did not record the return ride portion without notifying me of pausing. I at that point tried to manually resume the ride but there was no option for that either.

Here's a short video of the connection behavior with the phone being about 3-4 feet away from the Pint:

https://youtu.be/_RNq4hntVsE - the video is unlisted and can only be accessed with this link

Battery, controller, and motor temperatures also never change, I'm in Florida and none of those components are at those temperatures, especially inside my house lol.

The reconnecting process sometimes takes longer than other times, you also get to see that in the video.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone else have this type of issue?

• Quite a long discussion about this issue here
    https://community.onewheel.com/topic/8631/pint-bluetooth-issues/74

• @Sponge315 said in Bluetooth issues with OneWheel Pint:

https://community.onewheel.com/topic/8631/pint-bluetooth-issues/74

Ahh no wonder I missed it, it was in the general discussion and not in technical support. I'll head over that way and start reading to see if there's any progress made.

• Just an update, issue has not been resolved.

• @Ramphex yeah...sorry but what you’re describing is actually how FM intend for the Bluetooth to work. When I filed a ticket with customer service regarding this exact issue, TLDR is I was told my board is functioning perfectly normally because FM do not want us looking at our phones or watches at all while riding.

Extremely frustrating because obviously that’s not how they advertise it working. It aggravated me to no end until I finally learned to pretty much ignore the app altogether; if you stop needing it to work, you’ll find it’s really not necessary lol

• @a_onekatie said in Bluetooth issues with OneWheel Pint:

I was told my board is functioning perfectly normally because FM do not want us looking at our phones or watches at all while riding.

Total BS from @Future-Motion . . . no one is forcing you to look at your phone and there is no way for the battery and speed alarms to go off if the phone is not connected. Not to mention the ride reporting and logging. IMO, they don't want to pay to fix all the Pints if they admit there's a problem. All I can say is that when the next model comes out with better performance, battery, construction, etc, there's no way I'll buy it if they have this issue again. I'll want that in writing before I give them my hard earned dollars! No excuse for issues like this considering how much we're all paying for these boards.

• @OneDan agreed

• @OneDan I use relive app to map my rides. Much more accurate than the OW app. And I use GPS Digital Speedometer app for an alarm when I go over a certain speed. Just have to keep it were it can have a good GPS lock. Then I only look at the OW app after the ride to see how much battery power I have left.

• @UTrider Good solutions for those with this issue, but luckily my XR has been fixed with the newer BT module, so everything works in the app and on my watch. I just can't believe they're basically telling Pint owners that it's "working as designed". I tried a GPS speed app, but the delay was such that I was afraid I'd be on the ground before it warned me I was going too fast!

• @Ramphex said in Bluetooth issues with OneWheel Pint:

Hey guys, I have recently purchased a OneWheel Pint and I've been having some bluetooth issues. I have looked at some other topics with bluetooth issues but they were mostly for other OneWheel boards.

Setup:
    OneWheel Pint: hardware - 5301, software - gemini 5050, odometer - 19m
    Phone: iPhone 11 Pro w/iOS 13

There are no issues with my iPhone. I have no issues connecting to any other bluetooth devices - my car, rentals, AirPods, Beats, etc.

The board doesn't stay connected for more than 10-15 seconds, then goes to the "reconnecting" notification, then connects back, then back to "reconnecting". It would not be much of an issue if I only used it to update the stats in the app but I feel as it renders the Ride Logging pretty useless.

I did a 2 mile ride earlier today - launched the app right at the beginning of the trail, started a ride log, and went off. Couple of minutes into the ride, I got a notification on my watch stating my ride has been paused because the board has been disconnected from my phone for 2 minutes.

IMG_0726.jpeg

I pulled my phone out and checked the app, it was still open and said "reconnecting". After reconnecting, I put my phone back in my pocket and continued to ride. The beginning portion of my ride did not get recorded and the app jumped through the woods and a pond to my current location.

Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 21.01.27.jpeg

At the end of the ride, when I got back to where I started, I realized that the app "paused" my ride exactly at the half way point and did not record the return ride portion without notifying me of pausing. I at that point tried to manually resume the ride but there was no option for that either.

Here's a short video of the connection behavior with the phone being about 3-4 feet away from the Pint:

https://youtu.be/_RNq4hntVsE - the video is unlisted and can only be accessed with this link

Battery, controller, and motor temperatures also never change, I'm in Florida and none of those components are at those temperatures, especially inside my house lol.

The reconnecting process sometimes takes longer than other times, you also get to see that in the video.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone else have this type of issue?
    I posted this in another thread but it seems fitting here as well.

I have a pint as well. Early on I noticed that I'd lose the bluetooth connection on a regular basis and I decided I didn't really need the phone connection any more. I keep it at the same riding mode and really only use the app to let the odometer on the app sync with the board once in a while. The status leds tell me everything I need. It would be fine with me if we could do away with the app altogether and have all the controls on the board.

• @OneDan I'm old and brittle, so with the GPS speedo, I have it set to go off at 11 mph. Pint should be able to do more than that. So I've got a couple mph. As long as I have it in the jogging armband, the delay isn't really that much. I don't want to be looking at my phone or watch when riding.