Complete shut down at 15% Battery?

• Long story short, I accidentally didn’t charge my board overnight and turned it on for my commute this morning with only about 36% battery.

About two blocks from my office, I started to notice the most intense pushback I’ve experienced to date. It was so jarring I pulled out my phone to see what was up. My light bar showed red but the app still had my battery level at 17%! By the time I got it down to 15% the board was no longer rideable! Or rather, I could if I was okay with dragging my tail end on the asphalt.

Any ideas WTH is going on here? Twice I’ve ridden my board all the way down to 1% previously and never had this issue.

• @a_onekatie
    Every month or so (given miles) it is good to ride to low battery pushback and get the battery level meter dialed in for the app. Likely the app did not know what the real capacity was. Now after a full overnight charge you should be all set.

• @a_onekatie
    Also the Pint pushback seems to happen right under (at) that 1% level depending on the real level of the battery and BMS calculations. On my XR the graduated pushback for low battery starts at even 2 or 3%.....

• @LidPhones ahhh bet that’s it! There definitely seemed to be a disconnect between the two.

• @a_onekatie the App is a guesstimate bases on overall batt pack voltage only. Likely an individual or small group of cells in the pack were at the bottom end of their voltage range. The BMS monitors each cell individually and will have told the controller to warn/stop the rider to prevent battery damage to those cells.

Running the pack down and a long overnight charge will balance it out again and recalibrate the App.

• @a_onekatie
    Let us know if all is back to normal, when you get a chance...

• I just went through this with my XR, except mine is over a year old and had some 1900+ miles on it at the time. For sure @a_onekatie has a warranty case should this turn out to be the same as my issue.

The first time it stopped I was doing an extra long ride. I think I was over 16 miles in when I had 18% left and, since I'd done it many times before, figured I could make the next 2.5 miles home. I was about 3 blocks from home when it pushed back hard around 12%. That was the first time I've ever had to carry that beast home and the OW walk of shame was not easy, LOL. Chalked it up to the battery level vs battery controller not being in sync.

A couple of days, and rides, later, I was just cruising on my normal path and it did the same thing, only this time at 59%. Did what @a_onekatie did and turned it back on a couple of times, only to get about half a block each time. Luckily, I wasn't deep in on the forest/river paths that I usually ride and I was able to Uber home.

As mentioned above (and elsewhere), if one cell goes bad, it takes down the pack. I decided to send it in and FM agreed that it needed the battery pack replaced (of course, I'm way out of warranty). I'm hoping this new pack lasts at least as long, if not longer, than the original.

• @OneDan oh wow, really good info!

I ended up leaving my board at the office overnight, grabbed my charger at home and brought it in today. Kept it plugged in all day- about 8.5 hours and rode home just now with nothing seemingly out of the ordinary. Will definitely be keeping an eye on this tho for the immediate future.

• Okay...maybe I am being overly paranoid here, but I feel like my Battery is draining much more quickly these days then I was previously used to. Starting with 100% battery this morning, I rode 1.4 miles and my batt is now down to 84%...

• @a_onekatie Don't forget, when it's colder you'll see significantly lower range. On my boards, 60 degrees seems to be the point where I notice it and as it goes lower, so does my range. Figure 1.4 times 6 is about 8.4 miles range, what range were you getting during the summer and how cold was it this morning while you were riding?

• @OneDan said in Complete shut down at 15% Battery?:

Don't forget, when it's colder you'll see significantly lower range.

this is the truth -- once it hit the 30s and 40s here, i noticed a significant drop in my battery life.

• @Franko @OneDan oh snap, that would totally explain that part! Thanks again guys!

• @Franko said in Complete shut down at 15% Battery?:

@OneDan said in Complete shut down at 15% Battery?:

Don't forget, when it's colder you'll see significantly lower range.

this is the truth -- once it hit the 30s and 40s here, i noticed a significant drop in my battery life.

Cold 🥶 weather = —🥺— Range