What to do when your board doesn't connect at all!??

• What to do when board doesn't connect and tried everything including reinstalling the app?

I lost my iPhone due to unfortunate Onewheel mishap where front of iphone got crushed.
    Now using Android and everyday or id lucky every other day Ill get to actually ride my board.
    Aint that a bitch? Modern tech....must be real hard to figure out cause I know those guys at Onewheel would have fixed by now.
    Causes lot of stress when wonder if ill be able to ride that day or not. Guess today's a not. Oh well, guess its all still new for these guys still at FM. Got to hand it to them they are trying pushing to be big company so what can I say. Fun when it works.
    Heard someone stepped up to help these boys out with new app? Anyone know a date?
    Looking forward to riding everyday like i used to.
    G

• I don’t know that I fully understand, but why do you think you need the app to ride your board? It should still run without it.

• My last phone had the same issue (Nexus 6P) I needed to restart my phone everytime i wanted to connect to my board. My new phone (Oneplus 7t Pro) has no problems at all connecting.

• @Jerre yes but even when you couldn’t connect your board was still rideable right?

• You can totally ride the board without the app. The light on the side will fade in and out faster or slower depending on the battery charge. You can put it on its side and toggle through the settings by tapping on it.

Its a clunky way to interact with the board and you wont get any warnings besides pushback and Captain M
    organ, but y'know. Get out there and ride it man.

• @SlyFoxxx

I appreciate all the feedback but as Jerre mentioned, restarting phone everything time tends to work. A lot of restarts are needed so should be mentioned here. (glad he confirmed the same solution that recently is ONLY thing that has worked)
    Other issues without app should be addressed as well.

1. if light is off you kinda screwed if you ride as much as i do qnd at night. If you read laws its technically illegal. Upon discovering that you have to wonder if FM would even have the cool lights with the boards if didnt have to. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to "toggle" that on/off. I always ride with a backup flashlight anyway. My Fenix adjusts from about 100 lux to 980 lux powered by the same 18650 battery i believe boards use.
    2. If boards last mode slips between mounts and falls into say "cruz". Thats where your stuck until reconnecting again. How do you toggle your way outta that back to good ol' Missionary? (Happens all the time until FM gets clever and puts a "hold" button in app) How many times have you looked down at app while riding for a quick glance and cant read your current because you have to click "ok"? Talk about frustrating.

All easy app fixes to me and ive mentioned but i supposed it may be a long time before we get the honest answer as to why these simplicity's aren't corrected.
    In many cases with electronics over the years ive found there is a "backdoor" or "notso mentioned" way to toggle through settings. Funny, just tonight accidentally on my Android phone once you hit whatever button in settings those 8 or 10 times to get into developer mode. (Everyone knows that i guess) I tried the same for others and after clicking a bunch on os version a backdrop appears with Andriod in circles in middle of screen. I then clicked that a few times and screen went blue with a floating squid you can play with dragging your finger it will follow it. Some easter egg thing i guess. Cool to find though.
    All is moot however, i just dont want nor should be app dependant. Feels like a 🐕 on a leash. Rough!!

• @SlyFoxxx dude @Motoproponent just mentioned how to change the mode without the app. Put the board on its side.

Agree the lights can't be changed without the app.

• @SlyFoxxx If you're board is still under warranty (I'm assuming an XR), consider having FM replace the controller board with the newer bluetooth module. Quite a few of us had major connectivity issues and that was determined to be the problem (it's been discussed in several threads on this forum). I know it fixed mine as it would barely connect 10% of the time when I got my board. Even when it did connect, it wouldn't stay connected more than maybe 30 seconds unless I had my phone in the lower pocket of my cargo shorts. Anyway, since they fixed my board, it connects all the time, every time, and I ride with my watch running the OW app showing battery strength, speed, and distance remaining. If you can convince FM it's a warranty issue, which I would think it is since they've fixed many boards, you'll just be without your board for maybe 7-10 days and they "should" pay shipping both ways as well.

As for the fangs, I have the originals and they've saved me twice from low speed, high acceleration nose dives. They are not a total solution, but do help in certain situations.

• @OneDan That doesn`t really explain why it works perfectly with some phones and not at all with other phones. With my previous phone, once I was connected, it stayed connected until the board shut off.

• @Jerre Yeah, could be a different issue, but if the warranty is in place and the board has the older module, I'd get it fixed anyway just to be sure.

• @Motoproponent
    Thanks, can you tell me what you mean "tapping"? On power button so it DOES do more in fact than just power and warning lights? If so what where do I find legend regarding that?
    Thanks again!

Ya, i was little sarcastic and upset when i wrote first one. I pretty much don't miss a day riding. Today I'm sick as a dog and am currently out with my Onewheel date as I type this. 😁

Cheers! 👍

• @OneDan Thanks man! Helpful information...im just surprised because just got done with one board issue that was resolved, (took forever) which Ian at Onewheel took lots of time helping and resolving footpad problem. During that time I mention my connection issues and im sure he would have mentioned what your saying to me. At least i would hope so. We spend a premium. Why would he leave Bluetooth upgrade out? It doesn't make sense for me to call him up and bother them all over again next week or the whenever.
    Ill look into what you said about BT and people writing in the same.
    Right now im currently trying to figure out why my roommates new XR is operating and faulting not as well as my plus. Seems ti have more tourqe, yes, however its doing something that leaves me nervous for him. When he is at light or starts to go . It will nosedive. Fully charged and new board so.
    Still new so we are looking into it but as you may or may not know discovering where the problem lies can be a dangerous and painful process...

• @SlyFoxxx said in What to do when your board doesn't connect at all!??:

What to do when board doesn't connect and tried everything including reinstalling the app?

I lost my iPhone due to unfortunate Onewheel mishap where front of iphone got crushed.
    Now using Android and everyday or id lucky every other day Ill get to actually ride my board.
    Aint that a bitch? Modern tech....must be real hard to figure out cause I know those guys at Onewheel would have fixed by now.
    Causes lot of stress when wonder if ill be able to ride that day or not. Guess today's a not. Oh well, guess its all still new for these guys still at FM. Got to hand it to them they are trying pushing to be big company so what can I say. Fun when it works.
    Heard someone stepped up to help these boys out with new app? Anyone know a date?
    Looking forward to riding everyday like i used to.
    G

Because I have a pint and it's status leds, I don't usually connect any more. Early on I noticed that I'd lose the bluetooth connection on a regular basis and I decided I didn't really need the phone connection any more. I keep it at the same riding mode and really only use the app to let the odometer on the app sync with the board once in a while. It would be fine with me if we could do away with the app altogether and have all the controls on the board.

• @SlyFoxxx Turn the board off, then resting on it's side power it on. Give it a sec and you can change the riding mode by tapping the front foot pad sensor with your thumb. (like slapping a bass guitar string) . The light will blink to indicate which mode you are in. 1 blink is Sequoia, 2, is Cruz, 3 is Mission, etc.