First time one-wheeler, knee pain?

• Re: knee pain!

First time onewheel pint rider here. Been riding almost every day this week, and enjoying it so much! My question is concerning some knee discomfort I've had, specifically my leading knee. It seems to be from the carving movement. I've changed the digital shaping to Pacific, which did help, as it made it feel like less work to carve, and therefore less stress on my knee. I've been playing around with foot positioning as well, but haven't quite found the "perfect" stance for me (or at least a stance that eliminates the discomfort). So far, I'm riding with my leading foot pointed slightly in the direction of travel and my back foot mostly perpendicular, closer to the fender. I've been a snowboarder for 20 years, and don't remember knee pain with snowboarding, so I'm wondering how this differs...For the record, it's pretty slight. Not major discomfort at all. But I'd like to be preventative about it. I've been wearing homemade knee braces made out of old socks, and am not comfortable riding switch (those are two recommendations I saw on another thread).

Maybe my knees just need to get used to this new movement. I haven't snowboarded a whole lot the past few seasons, so maybe I need to just give my body some time to adapt. Any thoughts, ideas, or riding techniques to avoid stress on the knees?

• I find it a bit uncomfortable for the front leg if I am into "pushback" speeds. Sometimes you just need to back off a bit and stand more upright.
    Just for a change try riding it backwards. Same leading leg but with the pressure sensors under your back foot. The difference is subtle but might be interesting to try.

• @rnengel85 you are doing the right thing changing up your stance. Sometimes i change mid-ride or just a short break at the street crossings. I remember being similar with some weird pains when I started. As hard as it is, take a day off so your body can get recover from this new activity. All normal. Float on!

• @Sponge315

@Sponge315 said in First time one-wheeler, knee pain?:

I find it a bit uncomfortable for the front leg if I am into "pushback" speeds.

This ^^^^^

Also if I ride in elevate mode on pint for long distances and/or am traveling uphill at length; basically any time I am really digging/leaning into the nose is really the only time I personally experience knee fatigue or pain.

• Yeah, My leading knee is my "bad" knee anyways (ACL and Meniscus injury and repair). I have found that keeping it warm prevents or at least diminishes the pain on longer rides. Here in the Northern California Bay Area, even in the dog days of summer the morning commute can be a bit brisk. I often ride in a pair of Duluth Trading Company Flannel Lined Cargo Pants.

Try one of those neoprene supports you can get from the drugstore for a little support and warmth, but as others have said it's kind of a thing you have to develop a stamina for. I mean the whole time your moving forward you putting more pressure on your front foot, ankle, and knee. That's just what it takes to make the thing go.

After I put about 1600 miles on my board, the foot fatigue, leading knee pain and back foot calf pain don't start to become a thing until I get about 15 miles into a ride.

• @Sponge315 Interesting! I hadn't thought of this. I'll have to disable simple stop for this, I'm thinking? I'll have to give it a try.

• @stinkyface Ok! Good to know this is normal, haha. Other commitments/adulting has forced me to take a break for a few days, so I'm sure that will help give the knees a bit of a rest. I can't wait to get back on, though!

• @Motoproponent Ok, thanks for the tip! And the neoprene ones should still fit well under knee pads, I'm thinking. Yeah, I'm in western Oregon over here, so it's not summer weather yet, but it's been a pretty great spring so far.

It's encouraging to hear that it's a stamina thing and not something too serious. I was thinking, "Great, I spent money on this expensive board and what if I can't ride it anymore cause it tears up my knees?!"

• I've also thought about lowering my PSI (even more. I already lowered it to about 16-17, I think). I'm a smaller person, and when I go over bumps and cracks in sidewalks and such, or off road, I get a pretty good jolt out of it, and I know my knees are absorbing this too.

• @rnengel85 general rule is you want the tire pressure at 10% of your body weight. For me that means knocking it all the way down to 11.5! This should help you a ton with stability as well.

• @a_onekatie I lowered it some more for my ride tonight, and it felt a lot better, especially with off road stability/comfort on a mulch trail I rode on. Thanks for the info!