Snowboarder in (late) midlife crisis - is learning to ride One Wheel the answer?

• @midlifecrisis said in Snowboarder in (late) midlife crisis - is learning to ride One Wheel the answer?:

Is the range of the Pint good enough for a couple of hours of cruising fun around a local park/local streets (ie not going to use it for commute or travelling from A to B).

Yes -- that's my main use for mine, that and small errands for my job or for things around the house that are close by.

Also what's your experience of type of protection? I'm looking at the 'covert' style of knee and elbow protection - the pads that you slip on (rather then the hard shell - but wondering how much protection they actually offer?

I use the kind you slip on. The pads have been great for me so far, but i haven't been super reckless enough to even fall yet. i'm currently waiting to get a new helmet, but Thousand is out of my size in the one i want (boo hoo hoo!). most of my rides are just at a speed i'm comfortable at on streets and in parks i am familiar with, and i haven't tried riding at night (need to buy lights and stuff for that), so i haven't run into any situations that have really tested the pads, but i used to wear them roller blading and they saved my ass a lot back then, so i'm sure they are sufficient.

• Cheers @b0ardski.

Now you've thrown a spanner in the works! I was almost set on buying a Pint until I read your comments and also others about the XR experience being more like snowboarding. But appreciate it.

It sounds like you're a bit of an expert on a snowboard and also the XR...do you still think the XR is best if I only want to cruise and carve around local parks and streets without being too extreme? My snowboarding style is fast cruising and carving (the wider the better) on pistes (on pretty stiff boots also) - I still push it but stay in control to avoid risk of injury. On hard concrete though I don't think I'd be pushing it...ouch!!

So, if the experience is that much better I'll invest in an XR, otherwise the price of the Pint is tempting.

Not sure what to do and nowhere to test them! Would you def advise the XR for no off road or extreme riding?

Cheers.

You men

• @midlifecrisis Bro, I'm 52 and have owned my XR for maybe 3 weeks? 65 miles on sidewalks, roads, and my favorite--a 5 mile lakeside dirt trail with plenty of roots, rocks and such. No prior boarding experience of any type, and such an amazingly good time. It's a great workout for all sorts of muscles just responding to the offroad obstacles you have to maneuver around. I've been sore in plenty of places that aren't accustomed to getting worked. As far as road riding, it's wonderful just to make nice, easy carves as you go down the street.

I've never ridden the Pint, so I can't speak to that. But I appreciate the extra range on the XR and I have no plans to do anything extreme. You won't regret it!

• @midlifecrisis i've been a snowboarder for a couple decades now, and i feel the Pint is SUPER carve-y. i have never ridden an XR, but from what i hear they are heavier and not as nimble as the Pint. if you need that sort of range, go for an XR, but from what you have been saying, i think the Pint will suit you fine.

• @Franko
    the pint is capable for 1/2 the riding time vs XR and when I swapped to the rounder burris tread the gain in nimble maneuverability means I don't miss the pint, which is super carvey, to the point of being twichy they Both "carve" but its like compairing my 152cm arbor pipe board to my 176 nidecker all mt.
    If your float is a half hour of squirreling around sidewalks the pint excels at that, even w/out custom shaping, at 1/2 the price.
    p.s. I always recommend the pint to anyone that is 150# with size 7 feet, and always recommend the XR to anyone #200+/-

• @b0ardski that's fair. one person's "twitchy/squirrely" is another's "nimble," for sure. i guess that works both ways. after riding the Pint for awhile, i see people calling the XRs "stiff" and "like riding a cinderblock," too, so it just depends on what you are used to. i still think that if @midlifecrisis just plans on short cruisy runs in neighborhoods and parks, the Pint would be just fine. but if he needs the sort of range that the XR can give, then sure, get the XR.

• @Franko said in Snowboarder in (late) midlife crisis - is learning to ride One Wheel the answer?:

i still think that if @midlifecrisis just plans on short cruisy runs in neighborhoods and parks, the Pint would be just fine.

Except this:

@midlifecrisis said in Snowboarder in (late) midlife crisis - is learning to ride One Wheel the answer?:

Is the range of the Pint good enough for a couple of hours of cruising fun around a local park/local streets

Which is where I started with my first board, the +. Once I got proficient, range anxiety was a big thing for me until the XR came out. Being able to ride twice as long was the whole reason I bought the XR, so I didn't have to go 3 miles, then turn back home (on a cold day). Warmer days, was more like 3.5 or 4 miles before worrying about getting back home. So, if cruising around a park for 30-45 minutes (if weight is say 175 or higher) works, then the Pint sounds fine. But once you start venturing out into your area/neighborhood, range anxiety will definitely set in, LOL.

That said, I'm actually considering picking up a Pint for shorter errands, as everything in my city is within the Pint's range and I can keep my XR for my longer daily rides.

@midlifecrisis tough decision you have there!

• I think you'll know if it's your thing within a day of riding it. I have let several people try my XR and none of them ate shit right out of the gate. It's a lot to spend for something that may just not get used, but it's worth every penny it of you get the "stoke".

I'm 46 and was a snowboarder 20 years ago. The feeling of being able to carve like you're in deep power while going up hill is pretty euphoric. Riding across trolley tracks in the city or sidewalks that are broken up by tree roots is also no sweat when you're commuting. It's an amazing machine and the injury risk is pretty manageable, both with protective gear and your mindset.

On the practical side though, it uses muscles you haven't even read about. Having to constantly keep your weight on your front foot to move forward is incredibly fatiguing at first. Plus there are no bindings to support your ankles so all of your "heel side to toe side" inputs require a lot of effort with your calves and arches. The point being you will not jump on this thing and go for miles and mile the first few weeks. The depreciation drops off pretty quickly after a year. I recommend getting a used Plus or Pint. You wont use the range of the XR for a while. When you find yourself wanting longer days on the board you can sell what you have for probably close to what you paid for it and then put that towards the XR.

By the way, I'm biased in that the XR is really the only Onewheel in my opinion. everything else is a stepping stone to the XR :P

• @Motoproponent said in Snowboarder in (late) midlife crisis - is learning to ride One Wheel the answer?:

By the way, I'm biased in that the XR is really the only Onewheel in my opinion. everything else is a stepping stone to the XR :P

This!

@Motoproponent said in Snowboarder in (late) midlife crisis - is learning to ride One Wheel the answer?:

Having to constantly keep your weight on your front foot to move forward is incredibly fatiguing at first.

Agree, but only at first. Once you learn that you can float with even balanced pressure on both feet and your muscles get used to it, this goes away. I read some great advice early on in my OW career that said to not lean into the board but to treat your front foot more like a gas pedal and that worked for me.

I had the reverse issue. My back foot controlling all of the motion of the board would get fatigued after a few miles, so I never had an issue with my front foot. Of course, I got over that and then I NEEDED an XR!

• I'm probably the "young" one on this thread, at 35, but I've been snowboarding for 20 years, and now own a pint (been riding for almost a month now). I LOVE it! It really is like snowboarding. I can't speak to the difference between the XR and the pint, as I've never ridden the XR, but the pint is pretty carve-y in my opinion. I get quite a bit of range out of 1 charge, but I'm also very light, so that makes a difference. If you plan to do shorter rides, you should be fine. I've gotten ten miles with 25% battery remaining, but I'm also just over 100 lbs so that makes a big difference.

I started with wearing full padding, and still wear helmet, elbow pads and wrist guards. The knee pads were actually hurting my knees, as it was impeding my full range of motion while carving. I don't really care if I look like a dork with full padding. It's worth it to stay in one piece! Had my first tumble yesterday, but so far have kept safe. I also DO NOT want to break anything or hurt myself. My mom has just recovered from a broken shoulder from a fall while skiing, so that scared me enough to be safe! As I saw in a previous post, if you're unsure of the terrain, get off and walk. My fall happened while taking a little dirt trail that started off downhill; it had smooth rocks/dirt that was somewhat slippery from the rain we've had. I wasn't going very fast, but pretty much knew right away the pint wasn't going to handle it. Fell on my butt/hip and will probably have a good bruise there. Walked back up to the main trail and kept on riding. :) Now I know the limits of the board!

I hope you buy a onewheel and get as much enjoyment out of it as I have, while being safe!

• I bought a gently used but fully loaded XR to start with and the gal I got it from mentioned she had learned on a Pint and that the Pint had the same motor so I started thinking if thats the case I wanted both and I bought a new pint for $850 but I'm adding $350 in protective parts before I ride it, I am very happy having both because I will ride in my warehouses probably using the Pint and once I'm more confident I know I'll want to rip around on the XR ! I now have both boards and a full line of Triple 8 safety gear plus Klim full padded motorcycle / (snowmobile helmet) gear if its really cold I still have not ridden one yet but I have no regrets in buying them and I am very excited to start riding, btw I'm 59 and glad to hear I'm in good company with all you guys

PS if anybody has a Carbon-Smith coupon code I can put it to good use lol