Security and Anti-Theft Features.

• I recently bought a Pint to use as my mode of transportation and fun machine. However as im starting to use it more and more im becoming concerned with security.

Let me put it this way: I’m riding around the city, with a head turning, $1k device under my feet. Other OWs are even more expensive up to 2k. So what keeps a thief from stealing this whenever they get the chance? Or simply robbing it from me? OW! As much as you want to advertise it as a fun device, you’ve designed an expensive vehicle with absolutely no security features! At least bikes can be looped and locked with a chain.

Yes you can design a physical onewheel lock and sell it to us, BUT, why not work with what you have now?
    We need a couple of solid security features:

Bluetooth pairing with a user defined passcode:
    The board should require a pin on the app so that when I’m not physically near my board, it is locked and practically a brick.

Internal USB/power outlet
    To supply power to third party GPS devices installed within the frame of the board. Ive been looking into installing an actual gps device inside the board, but don't want to unscrew the board every two weeks just to charge the device.

Lastly, what if my onewheel is stolen today?
    Can you guys find it the moment it is turned on and connected? Would you be able to provide any information to us? This area really needs to be worked on as i read more and more about stolen OWs or children playing with their parent’s OW when they’re not home. Or people asking to “test ride” and never come back. Please take this seriously and discuss.

Sincerely,
    a onewheel lover.

• @Ali_on_a_wheel
    passcode. They can separate you for your board, and have someone hack the code and change it. Way to easy unless for some reason it's more than a 4 to 8 digit code that you would need to put in.

Internal USB/power outlet. Why have the power of the battery be drained even more than it already is. Only way that works is if it's drawing power from the battery when the board is off. other problem? See next item.

Low-jack system: Look at your pint, watch some video's of them (and the XR) being torn apart. Where are you going to add the GPS module? The SIM card location? The transmitter for it to connect to cell service? The antenna for all the above?

Even in a car you have the problem of car jacking. Go into a store, even with a security system you might come out to it gone.

• @UTrider thanks for your input. But im still hoping to get some optimistic and constructive feedback here rather than just focusing on how none of these suggestions can be done. And ANY feature is better than none. ANYTHING to deter someone from looking at a onewheel as an “easy steal”. So pincode is one of them, the app can even use Face ID from the phone to unlock the board.

FYI there are gps modules that are small enough to consider. You don't have to build your own module from scratch. Like i said these are ideas and im looking for more constructive ideas. Ideally i’d love for OW to invest in some simple security features in the least.

And honestly if security is not an issue for you, then don’t worry about it. Just scroll by and explore other threads. Cheers.

• @Ali_on_a_wheel said in Security and Anti-Theft Features.:

. Ideally i’d love for OW to invest in some simple security features in the least.

so much for that $1000 price point

• @UTrider said in Security and Anti-Theft Features.:

arate you for your board, and have someone hack the code and change it.

i think it's a great idea. even if it's an add on you have to pay for. at least something so then can't just press the button and ride away with it. though i guess they would need to learn how to ride one first...

• @Ali_on_a_wheel said in Security and Anti-Theft Features.:

And honestly if security is not an issue for you, then don’t worry about it. Just scroll by and explore other threads. Cheers.

Don't worry?? Don't worry about anything that may be added to a board that I may buy in the future? Don't worry if it's going to make it more difficult to ride, or be a drain on the battery resulting in a shorter ride time, or make the board larger and more bulky, or add more things that might fail? Really? I think I'll keep adding my opinions when someone asks like you did.

• @UTrider I'll take additional security over maybe losing a bit of range with the features active. The Onewheel already has features built in that arguably don't need to be there to ride the board but for the most part they barely effect range and can be turned on and off such as the lights.

GPS wouldn't need to be on all the time and I'd imagine it can be toggled off entirely if it isn't wanted to save power. If faulty it's not a required aspect so wouldn't cause the board to stop working so it being a point of failure isn't a concern. GPS is also pretty small, it could easily fit on the controller as a daughter board much like the Bluetooth module is.

An app based security code for turning on the board would probably also be optional, you can ride the board without the app as is, I'd imagine FM would keep it that way with the lock being optional when turning on. This of course is app based so it wouldn't be using additional power from the board. If active and there was an issue with Bluetooth then yeah this would stop you operating the board but only if you had it turned on.

I personally wouldn't use these features, I just want to ride as far as I can for as long as I can. That said I've got no issue with them adding features if we can toggle them off. That is assuming we get another model of OW

• adding any kind of gps on the board will add cost, any kind of app development will add cost, the bluetooth connectivity sucks as is and will need boosted adding cost, once bluetooth is out of range all app features don't work, any lockout system will need R&D before release adding cost.
    Just because the board has gps and knows where it is dosen't mean your phone will.
    I do not want a $1300 pint or $2200 XR with extra circuit boards I neither want nor use. Be careful what you wish for, that $1000 price point is a bigger deal for marketing than theft tracking.

• How about a Summon feature? The board will come to you...

• adding cost

• I'm just trolling hehe. But @b0ardski curious what feature you WOULD be willing to pay for?

• custom shaping on the pint

• @b0ardski GPS modules cost next to nothing, R&D into existing technology won't cost that much and considering the majority of the cost for the OW was just getting it working will no longer be an issue. The Pint costs way less compared to the XR because they know how to do it now both in terms of building the boards and where they get the parts.

The BOM for the Pint shouldn't be drastically cheaper than the XR. Pretty much the battery is the only real thing that would lower the price for parts since the rest of the specs are similar. Even then they changed up the design such as the controller, frame, battery and housings which should add to cost. Moreover they made a separate mode in app for the Pint, different PID profiles for the motor and added simple stop yet the Pint costs less than the other models.

Clearly FM are capable of changing things on new models without making the product cost drastically more. As for if they decide to anyway is their choice. The way I see it if they do make a new model it's going to be a pricey flagship anyway... which I'll totally buy regardless of price assuming I can manage to wire in an external pack and bypass their anti-mod tactics.

Who's to say with later models they keep the bargain model with no bells and whistles but have other models that do. They already did the Plus then Plus XR so maybe the Pint XR would have these features which of course you pay extra for.

• @b0ardski really? even on the xr most people just put it on the most aggressive setting once they get to a certain level, and leave it there. what would you need to tweak? unless they add more parameters or something.

• @Swinefeaster Nah. Most aggressive setting is good for some things and not others. For ex., Mission is better on pavement and at higher speeds IMO, and Delirium is better offroad and at lower speeds, and I constantly switch between them for that reason. People put their noses up or down to deal with trails/uphills/downhills, or skatepark-type features.

• @Glyph I keep hearing Mission is better for smoother terrain in general but I can't get over how sluggish it feels compared to Delirium. Having that extra snappy reaction when I need it is really nice. It might just be me being stuck in my way mind you lol.

• @Lia Some of it's preference, for sure, but here's the way I conceptualize it.

Delirium: Torquier at the low-end, quickly and aggressively (and this is what "aggressive" means in this context - "sharply") corrects the board back to level when it dips down. This is what makes it so good for offroad applications, it keeps the deck more level and easier to stand on, and the extra torque is there for sand-slippage, root-climbing, etc. This is also why it eats more battery. I suspect Delirium may be slightly less prone to nosedives at lower speeds due to this torque.

Mission - less torquey, brings the board back to level more slowly and gently (giving it that floaty loose feel and allowing the rider more control on how quickly to level out). Makes it harder to stay atop on rough ground, but eats less battery. I suspect Mission may be slightly less prone to nosedives at higher speeds, because it has a little more power headroom left over to accelerate and get the board back under the rider if the nose dips down too far.

• @Glyph Pretty solid assessment.
    I rode only offroad for the first few months so it's probably why I stuck with it. Not a speed demon but if I ever give 30kph+ a go I might give Mission a shot.

• @Lia said in Security and Anti-Theft Features.:

the first few months so it's probably why I stuck with it. Not a speed demon but if I ever give 30kph+ a go I

with all the surprise nosedive threads i'm sticking to lower speeds, off road, and tricks. got my mtb for pinning it fast.

• @Glyph said in Security and Anti-Theft Features.:

@Lia Some of it's preference, for sure, but here's the way I conceptualize it.

Delirium: Torquier at the low-end, quickly and aggressively (and this is what "aggressive" means in this context - "sharply") corrects the board back to level when it dips down. This is what makes it so good for offroad applications, it keeps the deck more level and easier to stand on, and the extra torque is there for sand-slippage, root-climbing, etc. This is also why it eats more battery. I suspect Delirium may be slightly less prone to nosedives at lower speeds due to this torque.

Mission - less torquey, brings the board back to level more slowly and gently (giving it that floaty loose feel and allowing the rider more control on how quickly to level out). Makes it harder to stay atop on rough ground, but eats less battery. I suspect Mission may be slightly less prone to nosedives at higher speeds, because it has a little more power headroom left over to accelerate and get the board back under the rider if the nose dips down too far.

with custom I can get delerium response but tone down the jumpiness,
    or mission surfiness with a bit more acceleration