Onewheel cheap mods



  • I improvised two mods for my Xr and Pint.
    First up:
    Temporary splash, mud and wet leaf guard.
    It's made from a Dollar store plastic binder and taped to the battery box under the rear footpad. The sharp folds are rolled with anything cylindrical, in my case a D cell. The slash guard comes really close to the Burris tire, but doesn't harm anything. Keeps water from splashing on to the seam of the battery box, it's only temporary until Spring. I've tried it out and it works well.
    IMG_3727.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3729.JPG
    Splash guard in use today.
    IMG_3743.JPG

    Second up:
    Cheap rear footpad riser for Pint(or full size model).
    Since I've already put on the custom graphics grip tape, I didn't wat to order another grip tape.
    I really like the Xr with the Kush rear footpad, no foot fatigue.
    This footpad riser I made for the Pint really helps, and with the new Burris slick, It's like a totally new ride.
    The riser is made from a piece of truck bed liner, but can be made of wood, plastic or a piece of car tire.
    I used a angle grinder with a abrasive pad to contour the pad.
    IMG_3730.JPG
    IMG_3733.JPG



  • @lemur -- Great thread! I will have a few 'cheap mods' of my own to share soon.



  • Johnny Appleseed mod: Handy, this stock pot served as a fender for a rainy ride, testing the feel of a low rider. No fender fit the higher tire profile, so this was the 'cheap mod' I came up with to stay relatively dry. It really worked great, held on by a ratchet strap. IMG_2121.JPG



  • @blkwalnutgrwr
    I have to try that, just hose off the mud on the inside when you're done!
    Also cut two eye holes and the pot doubles as a helmet.



  • @blkwalnutgrwr now THAT'S a MacGyver solution if i ever saw one, haha. well done!



  • Add-on grip. Worn smooth under the ball of my foot, a piece on one half of the sensor solved the issue and worked fine. Smaller would be better. On the back I placed more to fit my stance. Great for comfort!
    IMG_0742.JPG



  • @blkwalnutgrwr I'm curious about the pick hammer? Gotta be some stories behind that addition.



  • @Lia -- No... I was not prospecting for precious minerals. On the paved rail-to-trail I usually ride were some high or ragged bumps lifted up by tree roots or root knobs. After nearly taking a spill rolling over one unexpectedly, I took it on myself to even a few places out. No more heart-jumping surprise shocks.



  • @blkwalnutgrwr Aha hadn't crossed my mind but kinda wish that was true now.
    Good on you for maintaining your area, unheard heroes cleaning up public spaces.



  • @lemur
    This may not qualify as a cheap mod, at least one part is cheap.

    I updated my XR to a JW battery ((expensive part) but decided to copy Chibattery's voltmeter but added the voltmeter sensor wires to the JW battery pack since I was changing the battery.
    The wires come out on the left side of the battery case through a small hole. knotted and silicone sealed.
    The battery meter is a cheap Amazon one ($6.79 cdn) that is programable from 1-17 lithium cells and shows capacity and voltage that alternates every 2 seconds. I ride goofy so the meter is on the left side.
    BTW the power wires from the bms to the controller should be on top of of the JWbattery pack as per JW instructions, trust me.
    IMG_3763.JPG
    IMG_3764.JPG
    IMG_3751.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG



  • A wooden box fender with ratchet strap is cheap and provides a great platform for range extension solutions. IMG_1598.jpg



  • Onewheel bungeed to a bike rack. IMG_0488.JPG



  • @blkwalnutgrwr great option if it's filthy.



  • Once, riding without a fender, the tire reached up, grabbed my VnR cable, and jerked it right out of its Posi-taps. So, now when I ride without a fender -- like in winter snow -- I fashion a cable post out of heavy gauge wire. Cheap and effective!
    IMG_2351.JPG



  • @blkwalnutgrwr
    Very nice! Reminds me of days ago on our Family farm. A spool of rusty fence wire fixed many a thing..... 🤪



  • I used the stock pot fender again, this time in slushy snow on the premise that it would be unlikely to clog up like a close-to-the-tire fender. What happened -- to my surprise -- was that the slush and snow built up on top of the tire, to nearly completely filling the stock pot. On the bright side, it took longer for the snow pack to start seriously restricting tire movement, and with the ratchet strap attachment it was easy to remove the pot to clear the snow build-up.



  • 4CC04457-05E3-43A1-B4A7-9911994BD558.jpeg
    Not really a mod, more of a hack. Here is a paint stir stick, usually free at your local hardware store, I use to clear snowpack from around the wheel and off the foot pads.


Log in to reply