Onewheel cheap mods

• Onewheel bungeed to a bike rack. IMG_0488.JPG

• @blkwalnutgrwr great option if it's filthy.

• Once, riding without a fender, the tire reached up, grabbed my VnR cable, and jerked it right out of its Posi-taps. So, now when I ride without a fender -- like in winter snow -- I fashion a cable post out of heavy gauge wire. Cheap and effective!
    IMG_2351.JPG

• @blkwalnutgrwr
    Very nice! Reminds me of days ago on our Family farm. A spool of rusty fence wire fixed many a thing..... 🤪

• I used the stock pot fender again, this time in slushy snow on the premise that it would be unlikely to clog up like a close-to-the-tire fender. What happened -- to my surprise -- was that the slush and snow built up on top of the tire, to nearly completely filling the stock pot. On the bright side, it took longer for the snow pack to start seriously restricting tire movement, and with the ratchet strap attachment it was easy to remove the pot to clear the snow build-up.

• 4CC04457-05E3-43A1-B4A7-9911994BD558.jpeg
    Not really a mod, more of a hack. Here is a paint stir stick, usually free at your local hardware store, I use to clear snowpack from around the wheel and off the foot pads.

• Not the prettiest, but functional. For cold weather riding I wrapped the tail in closed cell foam especially to keep the icy snow-slush from building up on the underside and chilling the battery. Then I had a problem with slippery soles on the smooth plastic -- especially in mounting with the steeper angle of the lift kit. So, my cheap solution was to ratchet strap a piece of floor-sanding paper on top of the foam -- worked great!
    (Edit: After riding with this a few days I made an important change -- the center straight stretch of ratchet strap lacked the tension to hold the makeshift grip tape for the long term, so I started wrapping a replacement piece of grip all the way over the corners -- and the strap now holds it securely in place.)
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    Wrapping the grip over the corners is better:IMG_2470.JPG

• Snow builds up thickly against my leading foot, and covering the wheel, causing friction and sometimes even freezing the wheel to locked. An idea I have that may reduce the snow build-up is to get a battery-powered, clip-on fan mounted on the rail to blow away the snow as the wheel kicks it up. Maybe I am grasping at straws. Opinions? Think it would help?

On the positive side, a powerful 8" battery-powered fan on its highest setting would likely blow much of the snow away before the snow could land on my leading leg or on the tire -- I have watched the trajectory of the snow thrown by the tire up and forward.

On the negative side it would be extra wind-chill on my trailing leg. Snow and ice might build up on the fan itself interfering with the blades, or chilling the battery. The weight all on one rail might be uncomfortable -- 1.7 lbs. Will the clip hold? Will the tilt adjustment stay put in the outdoor winds of forward motion? Is the fan waterproof, or at least water resistant? And how will the fan respond to a tip-over?

Hmmm... The potential negatives seem to be outweighing the positives. Still, it might be worth a try. I could put extra insulation in the pantleg, and on the fan's battery. Maybe a shroud to deflect incoming snow, and a stay to hold the tilt. The reviews say the clip is plenty strong. Maybe a counterweight on the other rail? And no tip-overs. Ha! I want to try it, but it seems risky for the $40.

• @blkwalnutgrwr I've had a few people point out a scraper for the rear pad to me when I mentioned I'd look into a way to stop fender dirt buildup. Might be of use to prevent the now even getting up there in the first place?
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3019030
    https://onewheelrider.eu/en_US/p/Wheel-Scraper/151

• Maybe an EGO blower!