Onewheel cheap mods

• @blkwalnutgrwr great option if it's filthy.

• Once, riding without a fender, the tire reached up, grabbed my VnR cable, and jerked it right out of its Posi-taps. So, now when I ride without a fender -- like in winter snow -- I fashion a cable post out of heavy gauge wire. Cheap and effective!
    IMG_2351.JPG

• @blkwalnutgrwr
    Very nice! Reminds me of days ago on our Family farm. A spool of rusty fence wire fixed many a thing..... 🤪

• I used the stock pot fender again, this time in slushy snow on the premise that it would be unlikely to clog up like a close-to-the-tire fender. What happened -- to my surprise -- was that the slush and snow built up on top of the tire, to nearly completely filling the stock pot. On the bright side, it took longer for the snow pack to start seriously restricting tire movement, and with the ratchet strap attachment it was easy to remove the pot to clear the snow build-up.

• 4CC04457-05E3-43A1-B4A7-9911994BD558.jpeg
    Not really a mod, more of a hack. Here is a paint stir stick, usually free at your local hardware store, I use to clear snowpack from around the wheel and off the foot pads.

• Not the prettiest, but functional. For cold weather riding I wrapped the tail in closed cell foam especially to keep the icy snow-slush from building up on the underside and chilling the battery. Then I had a problem with slippery soles on the smooth plastic -- especially in mounting with the steeper angle of the lift kit. So, my cheap solution was to ratchet strap a piece of floor-sanding paper on top of the foam -- worked great!
    (Edit: After riding with this a few days I made an important change -- the center straight stretch of ratchet strap lacked the tension to hold the makeshift grip tape for the long term, so I started wrapping a replacement piece of grip all the way over the corners -- and the strap now holds it securely in place.)
    IMG_2427.jpeg
    Wrapping the grip over the corners is better:IMG_2470.JPG

• Snow builds up thickly against my leading foot, and covering the wheel, causing friction and sometimes even freezing the wheel to locked. An idea I have that may reduce the snow build-up is to get a battery-powered, clip-on fan mounted on the rail to blow away the snow as the wheel kicks it up. Maybe I am grasping at straws. Opinions? Think it would help?

On the positive side, a powerful 8" battery-powered fan on its highest setting would likely blow much of the snow away before the snow could land on my leading leg or on the tire -- I have watched the trajectory of the snow thrown by the tire up and forward.

On the negative side it would be extra wind-chill on my trailing leg. Snow and ice might build up on the fan itself interfering with the blades, or chilling the battery. The weight all on one rail might be uncomfortable -- 1.7 lbs. Will the clip hold? Will the tilt adjustment stay put in the outdoor winds of forward motion? Is the fan waterproof, or at least water resistant? And how will the fan respond to a tip-over?

Hmmm... The potential negatives seem to be outweighing the positives. Still, it might be worth a try. I could put extra insulation in the pantleg, and on the fan's battery. Maybe a shroud to deflect incoming snow, and a stay to hold the tilt. The reviews say the clip is plenty strong. Maybe a counterweight on the other rail? And no tip-overs. Ha! I want to try it, but it seems risky for the $40.

• @blkwalnutgrwr I've had a few people point out a scraper for the rear pad to me when I mentioned I'd look into a way to stop fender dirt buildup. Might be of use to prevent the now even getting up there in the first place?
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3019030
    https://onewheelrider.eu/en_US/p/Wheel-Scraper/151

• Maybe an EGO blower!

• Last year riding my V1 daily for miles in the very wet Northeast Ohio spring weather, despite Badgering months before, moisture got to the BMS and caused it to do strange things, dumping me a couple of times. First, I took out the BMS. Then, tired of charging EGO batteries and the onboard battery both, I took the onboard battery out -- replacing it with a weighted dummy battery box. I had picked up a technically unusable wiring harness that was throwing an error 16, cut off all the little lines except the main power cables and used that to connect to the EGO battery on the fender. Works just fine. No back lights, but I rarely ride where they would be meaningful.

This year, nervous that the wet weather might get to (or might possibly have gotten to already) the BMS in my Plus, I made a similar modification. This time I completely took out the battery, BMS, battery box, and wiring harness -- with no dummy box in its place. I must say the Plus feels light beneath my foot with only the footpad and bumper there. Road noise is slightly increased. Slight adjustments to riding make it feel somewhat like a different board, adding some variation to my many thousands of miles. Works and feels fine, but no back lights. With the weight of the board reduced, the weight of the 7.5ah EGO on the fender seems less noticeable -- at least on the paved rails-to-trails I mostly ride. Now the only batteries I have to charge are the EGOs.

(A footnote on charging the EGO batteries: Household funds paid for an EGO Nexus Power Station with two 7.5ah EGO batteries included. In the case of an electrical outage, like we had in high winds here last week, I contribute my other EGO batteries to the power station for longer run time. In return I can use the 7.5ah's for my Onewheel, and for EGO firewood-cutting chainsaws. And, the EGO Nexus Power Station doubles as a very convenient, four EGO battery, sequential charger. Beneficial all around! The Nexus, nearly silently with NO generator fumes, ran our upright freezer and some lights for close to 24 hours until line service was restored.)

• @lemur I like the green wrap-a-round version for functionality.

I tried last summer the fix a piece of bristle style door sweep to the underside of the footpad, allowing the bristles to brush up against the tire. Didn't work very well for a couple of reasons; crumbs of debris stacked up on top of the bristles, wet or dry; in dry the bristles acted like a van de graaff generator creating static electricity, the whole board was thick with dust when I got home :) .

• Hollow underneath! No stock battery, no stock BMS. The emptiness there adds springiness to the trailing footpad, and a lightness underfoot that feels uplifting -- to my riding style.
    IMG_2930.jpeg

• @blkwalnutgrwr
    So on your OW+ Did you cut and seal off all except the battery (+,-) to connect your EGO up to?

• I dig that open cavity look, kinda cool with nothing there.....

• @LidPhones -- In a word, yes, I clipped all the little BMS and taillight wires, and had an XT90 soldered in on the battery cable in place of the original connector. The first harness I did that to for my V1 had had a broken wire and an Error Code 16; for the second one for my Plus it pained me to modify an actual working harness because I could not locate another damaged one.

• @blkwalnutgrwr ever catch the remaining rear plastic on rocks or things? I'm curious if the rear bumper could hook into something and bring you down.

• @stinkyface -- Rarely it is that I ride around catchable obstacles, so I had not thought of the possibility -- thanks for noticing that it could happen. Maybe I could put a float plate underneath, or maybe do away with the bumper entirely. You've set me thinking...

• @stinkyface -- Now, without the bumper to catch on anything. Thanks! (Edit: I also added a couple fat sheet metal screws up through the rails into the tail end of the footpad.)
    IMG_2944.jpeg

• My stomach clenched and dropped figuratively after a fifteen mile ride yesterday. Putting the Onewheel in the boot of the car I noticed the XT60 to XT90 adapter to the SOLE and ONLY power (the EGO battery) cocked at an odd angle. Tugging at it, the adapter broke apart easily. Oh my guts!!! Over any bump the broken solder connection could have let go, and I would have been rudely surprised and hurt on the ground. Hence the clench of my stomach just thinking about it.

Apparently a routine tip-over cracked the solder joint. And this is not the first adapter to fail -- one was likely the cause of my fractured ribs last month. Looking closely at the broken adapters I see that NO WIRE TWIST was used with the solder -- it was just one connector directly soldered to the other -- with only the solder and the shrink wrap holding them together. Easily broken!

Needless to say, I have now eliminated the XT60 to XT90 adapters from the set-up, going back to straight XT60s and taping them each time. The reason I had gone to XT90s was anti-spark, and a more secure connection. But the connectors on the EGOs were still XT60, so I had found adapters on ebay. Mistake! Oh! -- Be careful out there!

• @blkwalnutgrwr Oh damn glad you caught that!
    Not exactly what I want to hear having just finished redoing my VnR setup that still has an XT90 >.>

Shocking the solder cracked enough to come right out , I struggle a little soldering those myself so I can see why it may have happened.