Onewheel Stories

• In September a year ago, riding my V1 on a local Northeast Ohio bike trail, an unfamiliar bicyclist and his wife, also on a bicycle, came up alongside. He was fascinated with my Onewheel and as we moved along, wheeling down the trail we conversed. At one point he said he had only ever seen one other Onewheel in his life. Curious, I asked him where and when he had seen it. He waved a hand in dismissal that it was not on this trail. "We were up in Maine, vacationing in August."

And the strange thing is that I had been Onewheeling in Maine on a vacation of my own in August. The only two Onewheels he had ever seen were both under me, 700 miles and a month apart!

• "What a GREAT contraption that is." ...comment about my Onewheel from a woman cyclist who, with a partner cyclist, passed me on the Greenway this morning (August 3, 2020). And my Onewheel does have the look of a contraption -- with its square wooden fender ratchet-strapped down to funky steel rails, the red and black parallel wires with yellow connectors trailing out of the fender bag which itself is held on by a scuffed-up, used black rubber bungee. But then, too, in a long approach she had watched me slaloming up the trail at nearly their speed around sticks, bumps, and puddles with balanced grace and free-spirited abandon. What a GREAT contraption it truly is!

• @blkwalnutgrwr in a steampunk kind of way! 😆

• "Have you had your ride today?" This is my wife's greeting to me if she has been out and just gets home.
    I have read that in China their everyday greeting translates to, "Have you had your rice today?"

The two greetings are remarkably similar -- riding my Onewheel has become my meat and potatoes.

(Of course, that's just figuratively, because my regular daily fare is really plant-based whole food -- in other words -- rice, grains, and vegetables.)

• Nothing particularly amazing but a story nonetheless. Gather round everyone as I tell a tale how my unhealthy eating habits were both saved and squandered by riding my XR!

Last week I fancied some fast food. Lockdown in the UK started up again but for the first few days it seemed my local McDonalds was still letting you enter to grab your order and go. This is great because you're not allowed to go through the drive thru without a vehicle. I've not seen a solid reason for it that would usually restrict other modes of transport that they do allow however I see their point at least. So when I pulled up last week to see nobody inside the dining area to let me in I had 2 choices. Go home and make myself food that wasn't going to satisfy my desire for fries and a vanilla milkshake oooooooooor try my luck riding through the mostly empty drive thru.

Well you know where this is going, off I rode round and wiggled about on the sensor to make sure it knows I'm there since I can't see any camera's for them to see vehicles waiting. They take my order and I roll over to the payment window with cars behind and in front. The lady at the window was rightfully perplexed by me seemingly hovering over with my card ready and a smile tucked behind my mask. Payment goes through and off to the next window with another confused member of staff holding my food and drink. A brief exchange in niceties and off I went to get home before my well earned nummies got cold since it's below freezing now.

So where's the issue I alluded to earlier you may ask? Well about 2 hours ago I was hungry and figured I'd have my weekly allowance. Once again the dining area is closed off so I can't go in to takeaway. Off I roll and once again jiggle in place on the sensor, through goes my order and I float in place waiting. Spotting a camera I decide to wave to it, this may have been my undoing as when I got to the window they were ready and waiting to tell me they had to unfortunately cancel my order as they cannot serve me. Having kind of expected this from day one I let them know it was no problem and I'll make my way through the exit. I can't fault them for doing their job so off I went back home. Knee's weak, arms not heavy because I'm not carrying home any dinner.

On the flip side I passed by a local pizza place that was still letting you go in so floated on in, grabbed a nibble and went home with some foodies.

So there you have it, my tale of fast floaty food that's going to have me needing to do a few more reps lifting my board to wear off.

• On this particular day, this autumn, the wind was gusty, strong, and lifelike -- piling up in increasing velocities as it came across off the farm fields to the woodlands trail, nearly stopping my Onewheel in its tracks a few times. Three trees down on the trail had to be moved, each dead and about six inches in diameter. Huffing and puffing my own windstorm I wrangled each to the side of the trail. The ride rolled headfirst into a rock-n-rolling headwind, then on the way back, a lively jig to a jazzy tailwind -- and a few times coming and going gusts of dramatic cross-shears were pushing me around, making the Onewheel carve in unexpected small detours. It felt almost as adventuresome and exhilarating as Onewheeling within the grip of a snowstorm.

• Assumptions, oh, assumptions! "You must be from California." This was a comment delivered by an older lady I passed while riding my Onewheel at a local public nature park in Northeast Ohio.

A different lady at a different park remarked, "Well, aren't you the Man From Mars!" -- with my helmet and safety gear presenting an unusual picture for her as I passed riding my Onewheel on the woodland trail.

• Wheel Life Stories, title of this story is “Under a cold moon lit sky.”

I got called into work for an after hours emergency. Water leaking from ceiling on a ground level unit with two units above. I told my wife the night before I would take a night off and not collect another Night Owl badge so we could get a full night’s rest without any disturbance. Little did I know.

Responded to call to find an ice maker leaking from the top floor. Funny how the wealthy need a designated appliance to perform the same function as most standard refrigerator/freezer produce. In any case, any incident that could cause damage to multiple units or the common element is nothing I can ignore and just go back to sleep. I investigated, identified and isolated source. Then headed home.

Got home and was slightly restless due to being activated into emergency mode. Best way to relax and calm my ass down, go for a ride.

33431027-5D29-4938-9F16-0D84C71B6F79.png CD56E344-D18B-4FD8-BAE4-F6C466FE745F.png 3EAE3B44-3D78-47D3-8106-385DA2EC3737.jpeg