Reviving a destroyed Pint

• @NotSure Not a happy noise at all. I'm sure it's something simple though, just got to find the cause.

• @Lia -- Sounds to my damaged ears like the rapid, flutter vibrations of a buzzer. To my eyes it looked like the buzzer noise only occurred while moving -- not just standing still. Interesting puzzle. Good luck with it!

• @blkwalnutgrwr Sounds much worse in person I assure you lol. The video doesn't quite capture just how loud it actually is!
    Like you say it occurs only under certain circumstances but how it manifests doesn't narrow it down too much.

Will give an update once I've found the issue :)

• I'm in!

Holy crap that hub was hard to take apart. It was pretty tight but I eventually managed to break it lose after plenty of oil and destroying a few bits of spare wood to act as a dampener when hammering the axle out. Once whatever was stuck came loose I was able to push it through all the way with just my thumbs.

Looks like one bearing is utterly shot. It's got loads of play in it, enough that I can wobble the plate against the axle with the bearing seal being the bit that moves. Trouble is it won't come off. Since it's 6PM I'll hold off bringing out the big guns to rip it off but tomorrow it's coming off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1OPNpuGkf0
    Untitled-1.jpg
    The scrapes on the hub wasn't me, that was the Van! Same side as the suspected dodgy bearing so makes sense.

Under close inspection it looks like there is some corrosion on one of the stator cores along with matching rust blobs on some of the magnets within the hub. Doesn't bother me too much as I'll just clean it off. Outside of that I think this might be a simple bearing swap... I hope.

Any recommendations on new bearings? Obvious choice seems to be Craft&Ride but curious if anyone has a special brand they use instead?

• @NotSure RGB LEDs are my guilty pleasure. I shouldn't love them as much as I do lol. Not sure how much current the 5v rail on the Pint can handle but I'm sure I can find a datasheet.

I am planning on doing something with LED's on this, thinking of integrating them on the rails for a special design.
    Have yet to pickup the project again, feels bad leaving the Pint unattended across from me on the desk.

• You are so close to reviving that poor Pint.... Bravo for all that effort and I bet you are the first with a Steve Austin (Lee Majors) Pint (just not the $6M).

• snow-white-onewheel-dust-gif.gif
    Been a while since I touched this... I didn't forget!

That noise was still bugging me but I finally found the problem.
    I though if I mount all the parts it would maybe stop it, no it made it worse!!! Well that's not right...

On closer inspection if I added the fender it parted my rails enough that the battery housing was no longer snug. Removing it I found even when snug there was a tiny bit of play.

Being as I want to redo the rails anyway I went ahead and printed up some templates to make the mounting points for the battery since I had yet to actually do that.
    IMG_7255.jpg

And guess what, NOISE GONE! 99.9% GONE!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L3nWxbmVcM
    Pint Mute smol.jpg

Best get back to work on that footpad since that's next! Hope it works fine so I can get to making this look the part.

Happy Pint~
    IMG_7256.JPG

• While fiddling around with the FSR (apparently I went overkill on the spacing) I've taken a brief look into how I'll finish up the rails.

For anyone interested about the footpad sensor on the Pint (maybe the same for other models) the FSR triggers pad activation when the resistance between the 3.3v pad pin and ground is 1k ohm or less.
    My MK1 setup couldn't reach that without me putting an unreasonable weight in a single spot so will be reworking that design when I work up the courage to cut another set of traces out by hand.
    1e2a9b00-a984-40e1-99e1-a4195cbeb75b-image.png

Anyway...
    Thinking of having a rocky low poly like design but with a glowing red space between the individual rocks.
    Onewheel Pint Render 1.png
    Onewheel Pint Render 2.png

Lighting these initially felt near impossible with how little space there is to work with till I came across EL tape.
    It's near paper thin and glows when injected with an AC voltage which can be run off a small 12v driver circuit.
    Better yet, you can cut some versions to nearly any shape you want.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153443319049?var=453390063663
    alt text

Plan is to create a rigid backplate, put the EL tape atop, then a thin layer of acrylic to protect the EL tape and finally attach the rocky pattern that I'll have to print.

For the driver I'll have to place the driver board in the controller housing and see if I can step down the 63v to 12v to drive this. Fingers crossed it works as I think this'll look pretty cool and very unique.

Any thoughts?

• @Lia said in Reviving a destroyed Pint:

Any thoughts?

I used LED's and have never used EL tape before but I like your design.

Transparent filament swapped out at 1-2mm with a dark metallic filament might look cool.

Could perhaps cnc strips of transparent acrylic and paint them instead of printing them. Could even invert the design use the smooth transparent surface as exterior and paint/fill those engraved interior features.

Could maybe use LED strips and run them down channels engraved into acrylic.

Could just power them with a half dozen cr2032's. Just slap on some decent vhb and presto!

As someone who has experimented with ground effect lighting on their board for the sole purpose of ez night riding on dark, mostly unlit streets without a flashlight: illuminating the ground is more visually impactful as well as useful for general area illumination without disturbing one's night-adapted vision.

• @NotSure The lighting is mostly to just glow through the cracks and not server a purpose other than look cool, I might opt for underglow using a more traditional LED strip later on. Ground effect lighting looks very cool and as you say better for the night-adapted vision.

Good suggestion with CNC on some acrylic. Currently don't have access to a machine but hopefully when I move to another property it'll have a garage or some detached building I can put big machinery in. For the time being I'm doing what I can in an apartment since noise and space are an issue.

• Alright, after tearing apart my over-engineered FSR and managing to not trash the traces when transplanting them (curse past me for using good double sided tape!) I still couldn't get the DIY FSR to activate both sides simultaneously.

Essentially my FSR isn't "calibrated" to have a low enough resistance under certain loads. Each pad gets below 1k when depressed but combined I think the OW needs lower resistance still.
    IMG_7307e.jpg
    IMG_7308e.jpg
    I suspect some of the copper is a bit too tarnished to make good contact with the velostat plus the traces might be too wide to apply enough pressure.

I could use some spaced out ribs to apply more force over a smaller surface area but at that point I'm playing a dangerous game of bodge™.

Seeing many mods to boards end in misery or worse I'm going to hold off continuing the DIY FSR to preserve my safety and also dissuade others from taking the risk. After spending a few months working on various footpad alterations and alternatives I've come to the conclusion it's generally not worth risking my safety and potentially encouraging others to risk theirs...

... That said the Pint rebuild is still carrying on. In fact I ordered a set of genuine footpads and took it for a spin, no external hardware to get the board running! (No vid, sorry I wasn't presentable when testing)

So what's left?

• Redo the rails (again!?!?).
    • Complete the custom rail guards.
    • Model and print custom bumpers.
    • Finally bless the board with a name.

Regarding the name I've thought long and hard about it. Since this board has been through hell and back (several times), been reborn and defied my expectations I wanted to give it a name that matched. Sure I could be basic and just call it Phoenix but it's pretty common and doesn't quite vibe with me. I have however landed on one that has since inspired a lot of the tweaks and themed alterations I'm making. What is the name you might ask? Well that's a secret for now, you'll just have to wait and see ;)

Here's some sneaky peakys at what's going on right now with the build and design. Blurred some bits that are a dead giveaway.
    Onewheel Pint 1.jpg

Onewheel Pint 2.jpg

Onewheel Pint 3.jpg

IMG_7331e.jpg

IMG_7329e.jpg

One thing to note, I didn't design either the footpads or bumper, I've just modified them to fit my needs or tweaked some critical dimensions. Both are downloaded from others that did the hard work. I have had to modify them since they didn't seem to quite match stock dimensions perfectly and the bumper itself needed more tweaks to fit my rail alterations (flattened out the curve). I don't know who actually modelled the bumper so I'll have to check with whoever sent me it on Discord since they deserve credit <3

With the deadline met for the forum art piece I'll be balancing this and that for the next few <insert however long it takes>.

• @Lia girl you're such a tease! but you should have blacked out instead of blurred it.
    your brilliance is showing, art, tech, and love of the float coming together for a win!!

• @b0ardski Aha but then you'd have no chance of guessing, I couldn't possibly take away a challenge from all you internet detectives out there. Besides it's not like I haven't laced former posts with hints ;)

• @Lia said in Reviving a destroyed Pint:

After spending a few months working on various footpad alterations and alternatives I've come to the conclusion it's generally not worth risking my safety and potentially encouraging others to risk theirs...

Kinda high risk considering the stakes. Glad to see you scrap it honestly.

• @Lia Revenant.

• @stinkyface Not quite, cool name though!

• Been working bit by bit on this. Was meant to have finished the rails this weekend but because of the heatwave I've been unable to get as much done. However I've done a bit so I'll share the progress :)

Wanted to redo the controller housing to focus more on the thermals. I wasn't conviced that little 50x25mm heatsink was enough to dissipate the heat so I redesigned the housing to accept a larger 3mm thick metal plate.
    IMG_7380.JPG

Used the big mitre saw wifey got me for my birthday last year to cut the metal to size. Forgot how terrifyingly loud it was.
    IMG_7460.JPG

Need to print off the standoffs for the controller board to rest on over the heat sink plus make a raised section to aid in the thermal transfer. I think that should be enough material to at least act as a large enough heat sponge considering the XR had less thermal mass to work with.
    While doing that I've been working on the rear bumper. Used the existing front bumper as a guide to model the rear because they're fortunately very similar geometrically. Need to redo the one in the image because there is some extra material that's clashing with the battery housing. Fingers crossed the next one fits perfectly.
    IMG_7459.JPG

Also got a proper router table to redo the rails and get them more accurately cut since the first set have some mistakes. The table itself doesn't fit my Bosch router but I made an adapter plate to get it to mount properly.
    IMG_7388.JPG
    IMG_7386.JPG

Made a big mess with that, it did however lead to way more smoother cuts with a lot less chatter which is good since the first rails are really rough where I milled off the 0.3mm inside to get them to slide over the battery, hub and controller.
    IMG_7393.JPG

Was extra careful to get these hub bolt holes spot on this time since the first set had a slight offset.
    IMG_7427.JPG

Printed some templates to help get the holes just right. This is for the rear of the left rail.
    IMG_7449.JPG

Had never actually cut the charger port hole on the first set, thankfully with the template I nailed it.
    IMG_7451.JPG
    IMG_7457.JPG

Hopefully the heat goes away soon. Booked off this week and next to get this, the art and some more video's done but if the heat persists I'm unsure if I'll manage. We'll see.

• Have some more pics, nearly done the controller housing
    (MK11... I probably spent as much prototyping as I would have just buying a working board lol)
    Onewheel Pint Controller Housing 1.jpg

Onewheel Pint Controller Housing 2.jpg

Onewheel Pint Controller Housing 3.jpg

Onewheel Pint Controller Housing 4.jpg

Here it is in the real world. CAD drawings aren't any good unless you can turn them into a physical object.
    IMG_7526.JPG

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7532.JPG

IMG_7536.JPG

IMG_7537.JPG

IMG_7538.JPG

IMG_7539.JPG

Why have I not yet put it in the Pint?

Well the big heat sink won't reach the PCB to draw heat away yet. Currently I'd need a 2.5-3mm thick thermal pad to bridge the gap since the standoffs (made to spec) raise the board.

I've got a 2mm thick aluminium sheet coming so I can place that in the gap I left creating a physical pad reaching up to touch the PCB (between a thermal pad like stock)
    IMG_7540.JPG

Once that arrives I'll cut it down, attach it to the top of the 3mm plate with the spacer surrounding it (hence the cutout in the top print shown earlier).
    Onewheel Pint Controller Housing 5.jpg
    Once complete as I probably mentioned before I'll be uploading the CAD, BOM and some instructions on how to make one too.
    Kept it in the realm of possibility for anyone with basic tools... excluding that M20x1.5 tap which isn't common... shush they're cheap :)